Help !! Galaxy S3 Freezing every few minutes. unresponsive.

jakeinator21

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. Usually the phone would freeze after I initiated some action for an app. The screen would freeze on the app, and the hard buttons would be unresponsive. The notification bar would be active still, so i could pull it down, but once I let it go after pulling it down, it wouldn't go back up. I could push the power button and the screen would go black, but when I pushed it again, it would display exactly the same screen. I was on Wicked rom at the time, thought it might be a rom issue, but it wasn't that bad so I just let it continue. After a week or so it started to get really bad. One day it stared freezing almost every hour, so I decided to flash back to stock. After going back to stock and doing a full wipe, including a format of the sd card, it seemed to do fine, but trying to install a zip via cwm recovery, it froze again. Unexpected to see it happening in recovery, as I assumed it was a software issue. Phone was fine for two days without freezing while it was running. On the third day, today, it froze again in the exact same way. So that's where I'm at now. Thinking I'll get it replaced.

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well as an update, I got so fed up with the freezing issue, that I took it to my local Samsung service centre. As soon as I told them what the issue was, they said theyd had quite a few people in with the same issue. They wiped my phone and re-flashed (? sorry not very techy, this is what they said!) the software, and its been fine for the last 3 days, so freezing, no lagging and no reboots.

Jordan Burnham

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have been having a similar problem as you all.

Mine freezes, but unlike the video above everything freezes. It's like someone has put a sticker over the screen; even the notifications bar gets icons stuck halfway down.

I have tried to factory reset it and it came back almost instantly, then I did the switch off, volume up button, home button and power button to reset it that way and clear some cache... So far, about half an hour, and it's going good. Probably not for long.

Mine was unlocked by code, no root or anything like that. Originally on Three UK, but now used on giffgaff (O2-UK).

Anyone know if Three will accept a repair if it isn't being used on their network?

maschenazi

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Have exactly the same problem. It all started about a week or so ago when I installed ARHD 20.0. Since then I tried ARHD 21.0 which is based on I9300XXEMA2, but I had the same freezes. I don't think is anything to do with WiFi, because I was visiting BETT show in London on Thursday and I had probably the worst day with more than 30 freezes and I had not been connected to any WiFi. Friday I flashed stock ROM I9300XXELLA UK unbranded and reseted my flash counter with triangleaway (see xda forums if interested) so I can send it to Samsung for repairs. I had freezes after flashing stock, just not as many. But without doing anything else to the phone it all stopped and since Friday afternoon I had no more freezes (40 hours so far). I will have to cancel the service request now...

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine stopped on its own after 3 days of continuous freezing. So far it's been behacing for over a week and I haven't done anything to it because I was too scared to mess with the phone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

maschenazi

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It all started about 10 days ago. It was bad for 2 days. I suspected it had something to do with the microSD card, so I removed it and the phone behaved ok-ish for 2 days then it started to freeze again for another couple of days. I tried all sorts, like different kernels, different roms factory resets, etc. Never had more than 2 dsys quiet

Pranav Nigam

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
What if I don't want to root my device..!

Anyways i was having the same issue since i updated it to 4.1.2. I tried things like formatting/factory reset etc but like everyone else it didn't worked out well.. Earlier the issue was for 5-6 times a day but one night it was freezing every time i switch it on within 5 mins interval.
So i decided to take it to Samsung Service center.. They tried to change the software version and I had some different baseband version which according to them is latest. I got the mobile next day but that also didn't solved the issue.

I called them up again explaining the scenario and they said if its not the software issue then they have to replace the motherboard.. Now today i have again given them the mobile and they will replace the motherboard,...

I don't know if its good or bad but i was personally afraid to keep a phone(motherboard) which is freezing like this. :/

Lets see what happens next...!

Thanks,
Pranav

rovoc

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
best advice I read on here was -
when it freezes, leave it alone, it will come back after 15-30 mins. NOT forcing it to reboot and letting it take its time to unfreeze itself seems to be helping to fix it. Given that there hasn't been any worthwhile testing of whether this is a valid fix or not, it'd be great to hear more feedback on whether others have found this helps or not. the amount of freezing is rapidly reducing for me since I've stopped forcing it to reboot when it freezes. on the odd occasion it never unfroze itself even after more than 30 mins, but the vast majority of the time it would eventually unfreeze. I THINK this is key - to leave it do it's thing. please, like i say, feed back!

Breakwhore

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't be freezing in the first place, especially when it's on stock firmware (or in safe mode, which mine has crashed in before).

My phone went to Phones4U's repair centre, where they couldn't replicate the fault, then to Samsung's repair centre, where they couldn't replicate the fault. So they flashed it all and bunged it back to me. Took exactly two weeks.

I got it back yesterday, turned it on and started going through the first boot screens. It crashed before it got to the home screen. I reset it, it did the same thing. Here's a new video about an hour after I got the phone back, you'll see it had crashed while I was trying to post on here just before the beginning of the recording. And yes, I know I'm being impatient in the video but I'm rather annoyed with this whole thing. How could they not replicate the error when I couldn't even make it to the homescreen when I first turned it on?

I've been told to send it back again and Phones4U after speaking to head office. They'll look for the fault again, fix it if it's there and send it me back. If it still has the problem after that they'll replace the phone. They're also refunding me for this month seems as it's probably likely I won't have the phone for another two weeks.

richo1973

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Fills me with dread as I've just come out of Phones4U where my phone is going back for repair for freezing and rebooting which started last week. I laboured the point about this being intermittent, whether that will be taken into account is anyones guess. Can't say I have much confidence. I agree that it shouldn't be happening and this problem for me at least simply came out of the blue last week after using the phone with no issues since I bought it in May 2012.

It shouldn't be freezing in the first place, especially when it's on stock firmware (or in safe mode, which mine has crashed in before).

My phone went to Phones4U's repair centre, where they couldn't replicate the fault, then to Samsung's repair centre, where they couldn't replicate the fault. So they flashed it all and bunged it back to me. Took exactly two weeks.

I got it back yesterday, turned it on and started going through the first boot screens. It crashed before it got to the home screen. I reset it, it did the same thing. Here's a new video about an hour after I got the phone back, you'll see it had crashed while I was trying to post on here just before the beginning of the recording. And yes, I know I'm being impatient in the video but I'm rather annoyed with this whole thing. How could they not replicate the error when I couldn't even make it to the homescreen when I first turned it on?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F59056327&token=ho7wvmSQ

I've been told to send it back again and Phones4U after speaking to head office. They'll look for the fault again, fix it if it's there and send it me back. If it still has the problem after that they'll replace the phone. They're also refunding me for this month seems as it's probably likely I won't have the phone for another two weeks.

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
best advice I read on here was -
when it freezes, leave it alone, it will come back after 15-30 mins. NOT forcing it to reboot and letting it take its time to unfreeze itself seems to be helping to fix it. Given that there hasn't been any worthwhile testing of whether this is a valid fix or not, it'd be great to hear more feedback on whether others have found this helps or not. the amount of freezing is rapidly reducing for me since I've stopped forcing it to reboot when it freezes. on the odd occasion it never unfroze itself even after more than 30 mins, but the vast majority of the time it would eventually unfreeze. I THINK this is key - to leave it do it's thing. please, like i say, feed back!

I tried this, but it just went into a cycle to freezing, then rebooting itself every half hour. Even when I turned my phone off, it turned itself back on!

tim bowes

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been experiencing the same problem for the last 4 days now. Phone is around 5/6 months old. It started for me post the 4.1.2 upgrade, but I had noticed the phone had been slowing down somewhat post the previous 4.1.1 upgrade but only started freezing etc since doing an OTA upgrade on sunday to 4.1.2. The phone has never been rooted and has only been updated when an updated has been pushed out. Always over OTA as I never seem to be able to connect to Kies (another issue which I won't go into!!)

I've been reading all the posts on here and thus far have not bothered downgrading or factory resetting etc as it doesn't seem to have worked for those who have tried it. So far the things the advise that has helped out somewhat was to make some space on the internal memory. I deleted a load of apps that I don't use and that has seemed to give me periods where I can use the phone for 4/5 hours. Though I still get periods where it freezes permanantley and I have to reboot constantly. I also agree with the view that the problem gets worse when you turn on wi-fi.

Also my battery seems to be draining at a crazy level, 12% in 20 mins this morning.

I have seen that people have had their phone flashed, done factory resets etc. But nothing seems to work, the only thing that we have not seen as yet is whether a new phone resolves the issue. Can anyone comment on that at all? I fear that a replacement handset will not solve the issue either and that we have to wait for an update to come out of samsung, which could take forever.

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That's what I think as well. Although mine stopped freezing for the last two weeks now without me doing anything I went to Vidafone last week and was talking to a technician there. He told me I'll have to wait for the next update. The thing is since now my phone is behaving would I really want to install a new update knowing thus might carry sone new bugs?

This is my second Samsung phone and I must say I'm really disappointed. However they all have issues whether it's one thing or the other and we're just guinea pigs.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
When mine comes back from the service centre, Im ditching it, give it CEX or sell it on Ebay. This is the second S3 Ive had problems with. The first one I returned after a week, as it was doing pretty much the same thing straight out of the box. Its not good enough for a ?400 handset. It has really put me off Samsung phones now.

Alejandra Guerrero

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I?m currently having that same issue. It started by not responding while it was locked, the screen stayed off and had to pull out battey in order for it to respond. Did a factory reset and it worked fine for approx 5 days, now it stopped doing that and instead it just freezes forcing me to power it off and back on, it does that 5 or 6 times a day.. I have also noticed that the issue increases when WIFI is on. When I'm connected in any network it will freeze quite constantly, but when WIFI is off the freezing stops.. Any suggestions?....

IPD KrayLoN

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
My phone was fine until the 4.1.1 upgrade. I have not done the 4.1.2 as it has not come through to me via AT&T and my samsung update. I also agree that it has something to do with the wifi. I turned off my wifi while i was in my car on bluetooth and noticed my phone stopped freezing. I have had it off wifi for over 24 hours now with no freezing. Before that it was freezing several times within 1 hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez