I stupidly soft bricked my SGS3

prankster182

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I hate that the first post I'm making here is requesting help but I've been trying to fix this phone all day with no luck and was wondering if you could help.

I rooted the phone and installed cyanogenmod 9 (stable) but I had the error where the keyboard failed to start and would give me the "android keyboard has stopped working" every time I tried to do anything, So I tried to revert to stock and somehow ballsed it up,

I ended up being stuck at the "downloading" screen for hours, I couldn't get out of it, Even pulling the battery and trying again wouldn't work, as soon as I put the battery back in it would bring back downloading mode,

In the end I managed to use the heimdall suite to get clockworkmod recovery on the device and I can now boot into that with the usual hold vol up and home method, When I don't hold vol up and home locks up on the usual black SGS screen

I can't really do anything in recovery mode at the minute though, I get error messages saying /data/ and /sdcard/android.secure can't be mounted and if I do install cyanogenmod that is on my SD card it just goes back into the eternal black screen mode

Even more messed up is that odin doesn't seem to want to play fair either, I've tried flashing back to stock and tried flashing it with a few different roms but every time odin locks up when it says "NAND write start!"

I've exhausted pretty much all my limited knowledge and would be eternally grateful if any of you guys could throw any suggestions my way,

Thanks,

Mike

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I hate that the first post I'm making here is requesting help but I've been trying to fix this phone all day with no luck and was wondering if you could help.

I rooted the phone and installed cyanogenmod 9 (stable) but I had the error where the keyboard failed to start and would give me the "android keyboard has stopped working" every time I tried to do anything, So I tried to revert to stock and somehow ballsed it up,

I ended up being stuck at the "downloading" screen for hours, I couldn't get out of it, Even pulling the battery and trying again wouldn't work, as soon as I put the battery back in it would bring back downloading mode,

In the end I managed to use the heimdall suite to get clockworkmod recovery on the device and I can now boot into that with the usual hold vol up and home method, When I don't hold vol up and home locks up on the usual black SGS screen

I can't really do anything in recovery mode at the minute though, I get error messages saying /data/ and /sdcard/android.secure can't be mounted and if I do install cyanogenmod that is on my SD card it just goes back into the eternal black screen mode

Even more messed up is that odin doesn't seem to want to play fair either, I've tried flashing back to stock and tried flashing it with a few different roms but every time odin locks up when it says "NAND write start!"

I've exhausted pretty much all my limited knowledge and would be eternally grateful if any of you guys could throw any suggestions my way,

Thanks,

Mike

I would try getting a new stock download file from Samsung updates.com. Use that new file to try to get you back to stock through ODIN.

prankster182

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't flash anything in Odin, I've tried official roms and custom roms and they fail at "NAND write start" every time, I've tried different USB ports and cables with no luck,

I have now managed to boot into cyanogenmod but it is very unstable and completely locks up every few minutes and I have to pull the battery, It also won't connect to wifi or any mobile networks so there's not much I can do there, The only real thing I can do at the moment is access clockworkmod recovery and put files on my SD card using a card reader, Is there anything I can do with that?