Firmware Update

Anonymous1a

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

Are firmware updates dependent on mobile carriers or does Samsung push them itself? Seeing as Android 4.3 has already been released, I'd like to at least upgrade to 4.2 as many apps make that the minimum requirement. I live in Malawi so if they are carrier dependent, does that mean I will be stuck 4.1 forever (I can try doing it manually but I prefer using official update methods for risk of harming the device)?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello.

Are firmware updates dependent on mobile carriers or does Samsung push them itself? Seeing as Android 4.3 has already been released, I'd like to at least upgrade to 4.2 as many apps make that the minimum requirement. I live in Malawi so if they are carrier dependent, does that mean I will be stuck 4.1 forever (I can try doing it manually but I prefer using official update methods for risk of harming the device)?

Welcome to the forums!
4.2 has been leaked to some international versions a few weeks ago. However, there is also a rumor that the S3 may be officially receiving 4.3 as the next update. Unfortuneately, with 4.2 and 4.3 getting released fairly close together, it is difficult to say. I am very confident that you will not stay on 4.1.

Hope to see you in the forums!

Anonymous1a

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
4.2 has been leaked to some international versions a few weeks ago. However, there is also a rumor that the S3 may be officially receiving 4.3 as the next update. Unfortuneately, with 4.2 and 4.3 getting released fairly close together, it is difficult to say. I am very confident that you will not stay on 4.1.

Hope to see you in the forums!

Yes, but is it solely dependent on carriers? Because, like I have said, I live in Malawi and so if it is, I probably won't receive it in eternity. I need to know so that I should try tinkering with the phone and install it manually.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but is it solely dependent on carriers? Because, like I have said, I live in Malawi and so if it is, I probably won't receive it in eternity. I need to know so that I should try tinkering with the phone and install it manually.

Sort of...
You can look into rooting and flashing a custom ROM. Look at your model number in Settings>About Phone. That will help you look for custom ROMs. Since yours is an international, I don't think you should have nay problem finding something.

Hopeless One

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
If you really want to update to the newer version of android, I'd suggest you to root and flash CM 10.2 which is currently running on Android 4.3. I used it for a couple of days and haven't found any bugs. Except the one (when you download gapps thorough goomanager it downloads the older one and you keyboard doesn't work, but it's easily recoverable by simply downloading newer gapps)

Screenshot_2013-09-02-13-32-42.png

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez