please help an apple survivor

steveystyle

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
hi,

I have just got my first Android phone in the form of a Samsung galaxy S3. Story is that i have always had apple product and i am a bit of a repairman with anything apple, as this is the case a friend of mine gave me this s3 with water damage as said if you can fix it you can keep it.So... i bought a mainboard (i9300 on three network) installed it in phone, bought an unlock code and now it works a treat. Now for the problem.... there is a load of three bloatware and a three boot animation i want to get rid off but after doing a bit of research all i am seeing are people who have "bricked" their handset. I have no idea about andriod jellybeans or kitkats or any thing like that but after playing with the phone for a while now i kinda like it and would like some help deciding what if anything i can do to get rid of three branding without too much risk of bricking and which firmware i should upgrade/downgrade to.

All help most apreciated

thanks

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
hi,

I have just got my first Android phone in the form of a Samsung galaxy S3. Story is that i have always had apple product and i am a bit of a repairman with anything apple, as this is the case a friend of mine gave me this s3 with water damage as said if you can fix it you can keep it.So... i bought a mainboard (i9300 on three network) installed it in phone, bought an unlock code and now it works a treat. Now for the problem.... there is a load of three bloatware and a three boot animation i want to get rid off but after doing a bit of research all i am seeing are people who have "bricked" their handset. I have no idea about andriod jellybeans or kitkats or any thing like that but after playing with the phone for a while now i kinda like it and would like some help deciding what if anything i can do to get rid of three branding without too much risk of bricking and which firmware i should upgrade/downgrade to.

All help most apreciated

thanks

Not sure about the boot animation (you'll need to root it to change that) but you can disable the bloatware.

Settings > Applications > All

Then, select the bloatware and tap "Disable". They'll still remain in storage but they will no longer function and will be gone from the home screen until you re-enable them.

Also, do consider rooting the device. Rooting it gives you more possibilities with it, including custom ROMs and bloatware removal. Take caution, though, as it can brick your device if you're not careful.

steveystyle

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply,

Could i not just "flash" a stock rom and that would take away all three branding. or is that ridiculous? I kinda thought it would be just a case of choosing firmware and uploading it but im slowly but surely realising that it so not the case its not real!!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply,

Could i not just "flash" a stock rom and that would take away all three branding. or is that ridiculous? I kinda thought it would be just a case of choosing firmware and uploading it but im slowly but surely realising that it so not the case its not real!!

You'll have to root it to flash ROMs.

You can use Odin to try, but I would not recommend it, for obvious reasons.

steveystyle

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
have you rotted your device?

- - - Updated - - -

do you have to root it to use stock firmware? like i dont want custom rom just not a three one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress