Charger/battery problem

trckdck

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
One late night I managed to spill some orange juice all over the floor, getting tiny amounts on my PC and mobile charger. I tried to dry both of them as best as I could, shut my PC down, and went to sleep. A day or two later, I thought it'd be safe to plug my devices in, but damn, I was wrong. Now, both my PC and my S3 are damaged.

Just for comparison, I can say that my PC wont work without the charger connected, and the battery charge is fixed at 70% (in other words, it wont charge, even though Windows is trying to convince me it is). Anyways, to my phone. In the beginning, it would charge somewhat, the first time it would charge from 0% to 9%. Over the next days it got worse and worse, and now, my phone wont even react when I connect the charger.

I was going to try to use my warranty, but my friend who works in the business ensured me that they wouldn't repair it due to some physical damage to the screen, blaming the charger issues on "reckless use". Now I need your help!

- Replacing the screen seems relatively easy, but would the tech guys notice this if I try to use my warranty?
- What about replacing the Mini USB-port myself, is that doable? Maybe share a link to a guide or something?
- Any other solutions?

It has been this way for some days, so I guess it is too late, but I will try to see if the rice-trick will work.

Thanks a million times for any help!

Best regards,
a poor student

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
One late night I managed to spill some orange juice all over the floor, getting tiny amounts on my PC and mobile charger. I tried to dry both of them as best as I could, shut my PC down, and went to sleep. A day or two later, I thought it'd be safe to plug my devices in, but damn, I was wrong. Now, both my PC and my S3 are damaged.

Just for comparison, I can say that my PC wont work without the charger connected, and the battery charge is fixed at 70% (in other words, it wont charge, even though Windows is trying to convince me it is). Anyways, to my phone. In the beginning, it would charge somewhat, the first time it would charge from 0% to 9%. Over the next days it got worse and worse, and now, my phone wont even react when I connect the charger.

I was going to try to use my warranty, but my friend who works in the business ensured me that they wouldn't repair it due to some physical damage to the screen, blaming the charger issues on "reckless use". Now I need your help!

- Replacing the screen seems relatively easy, but would the tech guys notice this if I try to use my warranty?
- What about replacing the Mini USB-port myself, is that doable? Maybe share a link to a guide or something?
- Any other solutions?

It has been this way for some days, so I guess it is too late, but I will try to see if the rice-trick will work.

Thanks a million times for any help!

Best regards,
a poor student

Welcome to the forums.
The downside to repairing phones is you often damage other components trying to repair the one you need to. Often is it tearing a ribbon or damaging a clip just taking it apart. Do you have a service that can do this for you? They should have extra parts incase this happens. Might be worth checking out.

trckdck

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, for your reply.

I'm a student, so naturally I don't have a lot of money. On top of that am I living in Norway, so repairs like these are of course as expensive as a new phone. I'd rather try to fix it myself, then just buy a new phone if it fails. I have successfully replaced digitizer and glass on my previous iPhone, so I'm not totally new to messing around with a smartphone. :)