Google Contacts Sync Issue

andyhicks92

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I have recently received a S3 I9300 as a gift, and after installing and updating the phone, my google contacts wont sync properly. I think this is because if I go to the application manager and scroll through all my running apps, the "Google Contacts Sync" app isn't there. The similar apps such as "Google Calendar Sync" are there however, which seems odd.

I have tried reinstalling google play services, updating the phone's firmware, resetting to factory settings and getting everything installed again, but nothing seems to work. For some reason, the phone just doesn't have this app. My girlfriend has the same phone, so I tried copying the app off of her phone and installing it on mine, but although it comes up as "App installed", it still isn't running. I also tried downloading the "googlecontactssync.apk" from several internet sources, and running this, but this was also unsuccessful.

Any ideas how I could force the phone to download this file somehow?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to App Manager, and look for a Disabled list. Make sure Google Contacts Sync wasn't Disabled/Turned Off for some reason.

Also, go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]​, and make sure Contacts is checked.

andyhicks92

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I have checked that it isn't in the "Disabled Apps" list and "Contacts" isn't in the list under my Google account as an option I can check, however "People details" is and is checked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone rooted or unrooted?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's dang peculiar. Since it was a gift, are you certain of where it was obtained? That is, are you certain it was brand new, from a retailer? If it was used, or refurbished, or a hand-me-down from someone else, it's always possible that a former owner may have rooted it and fiddled around with the system apps. If you're not absolutely sure, run Root Checker.

Apologies if you've already ascertained this.