Profiles/Logins for tablet?

Sitinon32

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how to correctly ask this:

I just purchased a GT 10.1 on yesterday and went through the usual routine of signing in with my Google credentials to set everything up (used for about 2 hours, then applied the Touchwiz update). I'm not new to Android at all (bought G1 at launch, rooted it then upgraded to N1 currently running CM7 nightlies). This IS my first Android tablet however (wife currently has an Ipad 1, so my tablet experience has mostly been with that). I'm wondering, is there a way to set up "profiles" or 'users' on the Tab (similar to a Windows PC) that requires a passcode for specific Google accounts, but still allow anyone else to use the tab but not have access to my info? My concern is that all of my gmail, gv, fb, twitter ect data is accessible through the tablet apps since everything is already signed in/synced. Or is my only recourse to use an app that allows passcodes to be placed on individual apps (I'm currently using ZD Box to accomplish this on my N1). I searched the net and hadn't found anything that addressed my question.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I will keep my eye on this thread because you pose an interesting question. I too would like to do what you're asking about.

However, I use an app called "Application Protector" which I can set up a passcode on individual apps ( I think you said you're doing this already with another app?).

I will say that the "app protector" method works fine for me.

My kids (5 & 7 respectively) want to play with the Tab all the time. I don't worry about that because I have Netflix, Market, Browser, YouTube, Dropbox, and all financial apps requiring a passcode. This way, they can play games and do whatever else they want, and can't access those apps unless they ask me and I input the passcode for them.

Your option would be an even better solution, but using an app protector is the next best thing in my opinion.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
To me, this is the dumbest thing about it, that it doesn't allow you to totally log off and let another user log on. We discovered that at Best Buy when my wife logged into her gmail just to see how it worked, and it took 20-30 minutes to find someone who realized that the only solution was to delete the account. Otherwise, the demo would have forever had her emails pushed! Dumb dumb dumb. Handy if you're the only one, but these pads cry out for mulitple users.

Al Mowry

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how to correctly ask this:

I just purchased a GT 10.1 on yesterday and went through the usual routine of signing in with my Google credentials to set everything up (used for about 2 hours, then applied the Touchwiz update). I'm not new to Android at all (bought G1 at launch, rooted it then upgraded to N1 currently running CM7 nightlies). This IS my first Android tablet however (wife currently has an Ipad 1, so my tablet experience has mostly been with that). I'm wondering, is there a way to set up "profiles" or 'users' on the Tab (similar to a Windows PC) that requires a passcode for specific Google accounts, but still allow anyone else to use the tab but not have access to my info? My concern is that all of my gmail, gv, fb, twitter ect data is accessible through the tablet apps since everything is already signed in/synced. Or is my only recourse to use an app that allows passcodes to be placed on individual apps (I'm currently using ZD Box to accomplish this on my N1). I searched the net and hadn't found anything that addressed my question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress