Turning off on it's own?

notmestl

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
New Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 user. I have an odd thing happening, when I leave the tab charging overnight (cause who wants to wake up to a dead tab?) every morning it is turned off completely and I need to hold the power button for 8-10 seconds to boot it back up.

Is there a setting I am not finding to prevent this, is it normal or is there a fix?

Thanks!

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,
New Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 user. I have an odd thing happening, when I leave the tab charging overnight (cause who wants to wake up to a dead tab?) every morning it is turned off completely and I need to hold the power button for 8-10 seconds to boot it back up.

Is there a setting I am not finding to prevent this, is it normal or is there a fix?

Thanks!
I have the exact same issue. If I leave it connected to the charger overnight, it turns itself off at some point. If I leave it disconnected from the charger overnight it stays on. Like you said, I also have to press the power button for around 10 seconds. It didn't do this prior to the touchwiz update. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the power settings management that was added in the update.

notmestl

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. If I leave it connected to the charger overnight, it turns itself off at some point. If I leave it disconnected from the charger overnight it stays on. Like you said, I also have to press the power button for around 10 seconds. It didn't do this prior to the touchwiz update. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the power settings management that was added in the update.
I have power management turned off, wonder if I turn it on it will fix? Maybe I will experiment tonight.

childprime

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had that with my Tab. I did have it with the Samsung Captivate and it was a known hardware issue, the phone was replaced for free.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

EternalDetroit

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
How long are you leaving it on the charger?

I only ask because mine does not do this, but I only sleep/charge for ~5 hours a night. Now and then in the morning I will see an error telling me to shutdown or disconnect from the charge, since the battery is full.

And now that you mention it, I don't remember that message prior to TouchWiz.

bdGDL08

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I assume the tab is trying to keep itself from over charging, but it is very annoying!

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I only ask because mine does not do this, but I only sleep/charge for ~5 hours a night. Now and then in the morning I will see an error telling me to shutdown or disconnect from the charge, since the battery is full.

You may be on to something. Maybe it is a built in overcharge protection thing. i will sometimes leave it on the charger for 15 hours or so. It does seem to turn off only when on the charger for an extended period of time.

titogreggy

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
New to the forums.. My first post!
I have the tab 10.1 i/o edition i bought from craigslist last week and it turns off on its owntoo..
It has 3.1 without touchwiz not rooted...
I charge it before i go to bed wake up to find out it shut itself off... Did it twice since friday last week..

notmestl

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Update - last night I turned power saving mode On. I left wi-fi and sync unchecked. It was on the charger for a bit over 8 hours and did not ot shut off I am its own own, however the launcher did crash so that's interesting.

MarcVH

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. The fact that you have to hold the button down for 10 seconds makes me suspect it's not off but rather locked up, and needs a reset.

JSKershaw

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I leave my Tab plugged in and on over night and this has only happened once to me. Holding the power button down for 10 seconds or more is a force reboot feature. So your tab is locking up and not turning the screen on. The other solution I would recommend is to backup anything that's very important and try a factory reset especially if you installed the Touchwiz UX update manually yourself and didn't purchase the unit with the update already installed. This will remove any conflicts that may be present that could have happened during the update.

But from the sounds of it the tablet is not powered off but locked up.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I leave my Tab on the charger over night every night. Haven't had it lock up or need to be restarted yet. And I've only seen the notice on the lockscreen to remove it from the charger once, and it wasn't from a over night charging session but from a couple of hours of charging just to top off the battery.

I don't have the power saver mode setup and wifis set to never sleep. All the rest of my settings are perrty much set as they came when I got my Tab. I do have the latest TW update and an running unrooted.

I do turn my Tab off every day(when at work) , effectively resetting at least once a day.

I'd have to go with one of the other posters and say maybe a hardrest might help.

jimsparkman

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, i have the same problem with my tab turning off overnight. I have the Verizon LTE version of the Tab 10.1 with the minor update that was delivered last week for the tab lte, no touchwiz yet. My tab was doing the same thing before the update, as well.

I leave the tab on before bed and plug it in to charge overnight. In the morning it is OFF, and NOT locked up because while it's still plugged in, i can tap the power button and get the battery icon in the middle of the screen. I do have to hold the power button about 5 or 6 seconds and the tab does a normal startup.

It is annoying. I have started suspecting some of the widgets, such as Widgets HD and Pure News Widget.

Has anyone discovered the real cause and fix for this?

Alik R

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
same problem for me. i thought it was related to the new 4ft cable that i bought from amazon. actually it started like this: it charges to 100 %, screen turns on and stays on till it drops to 99%, then screen is off again, and so on and so on. trying to remedy it, i turned off my notifications completely and turned down the brightness to the min, so it wouldn't wake me up in the middle of the night. but at least 4 times it did shut itself down completely, yesterday was the last time... i think it might be related to the power management, and really has nothing to do with my new cable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer