Very unhappy with ICS. Considering iPad 3

Blams

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
The thread titel says it all. I know I'll probably get flamed for even considering an iPad 3 but I don't know what else to do. The Note looks sweet but if it still has the limitations my 10.1 tab has since the ICS update, why even bother? Flash has been one of the reasons to choose android over iPad and now it seems with the ICS update they just did, it's gone. I want to be able to play videos in broswer. I don't want to download them and play them in an app. In short I want it to work like it used. Maybe that's too much to ask. However I am very frustrated. My phone which is on ICS plays flash. My tablet still does not. One of the main reasons I bought this tablet a little over a year ago besides it being top of the line then, and NOT Apple, was because of the 4G LTE. It was everything the iPad killer was supposed to be. Minus, of course, the bulk and issues of the Xoom. I've loved it although I'd hoped for an update sooner. It blows my mind that ICS on a tablet doesn't function the same as ICS on a phone. Idealy it should. I get that. However there are still very few tablet optimized apps for Andriod. My frustation is through the roof and this being an "old" device by tablet standards, and with the note being all the rage these days, I know my tablet isn't getting any better. If anyone has suggestions, I'm open. I just hate to pretty much trade in a good tablet for something I've spent my time and effort avoiding since forever really. I went with other MP3 players over iPods. I hate iTunes, but maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and conform to societal norms and go iPad. Maybe I'll buy some skinny jeans and hang out at Starbucks and be a hipster. I really don't know what to do.

davidk365

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
What!? There's an ipad 3!?
You mean the NEW IPAD!?!?

Haha. Sorry. I can't resist.

By the way, I think you still can use flash by sideloading it in ICS and JB, right? Or it can't be installed or won't work at all?
What I understand is that, if there's anything buggy or unstable when using flash on ICS or JB, Adobe is not going to fix it.
So here is what I would do when I got a Note II:
1. Change the user agent to ipad. Videos from Youtube and such will be watchable.
2. If you have installed flash before they dropped the project, and have sideloaded it onto an ICS/JB device, here's how to check for update. Open Play and go to My Apps then swipe to the All page. Scroll until you see Adobe Flash. It'll say Update if there's an update.
3. Always save the app apk for every version. Just in case, so you can roll back to the previous version.

Last edited:

Jacksmyname

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Flash is still available as a download from the Play Store for this device running ICS.
You have to install it.
Go to the store, and check updates for your tab.
I have it on mine and it works fine.
You can also d/l from the Adobe site.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you using Chrome? Android Chrome will not do Flash. I use the stock browser when Flash is required.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1

Blams

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I'll try and get flash. Thanks! Also I called it iPad 3 because I make fun of it. I know it doesn't support flash but it does seem apps go to iOS first. It's just sites like Mashable embed videos etc. I like being able to hit a link from Twitter or elsewhere and just have it come up and work. It's just frustrating that recently I haven't been able to do it. Also I use the Amazon on Demand to play through my browser because iOS has an app but they refuse to make one for Android, even though the Kindle is android based. Playing videos now doesn't work. I'm hooked on Sons of Anarchy and can't watch. But I'll try and see if flash update works.

kwjones

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Well you can't blame android. Adobe is the one that stopped supporting it and even gave a statement. What web designers now need to do is start using html 5. Flash is falling by the wayside.

Jacksmyname

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well you can't blame android. Adobe is the one that stopped supporting it and even gave a statement. What web designers now need to do is start using html 5. Flash is falling by the wayside.

This.
As I posted, Flash is working fine here.
As for apps in general, yes, there are some I'd like to have that so far, are iOS only.
But there are still tons of great apps available for the tab.
And I like the fact that I'm not locked into the Apple ecosystem.
I've read quite a few user reviews from people switching to Android from Apple for that very reason.
But, it's whatever serves your needs best. I'm not an Apple basher by any means. But my tab serves me well,
and it's a ton of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38