Whats the Max Size SD that can work in a Samsung TAB? can a 128gb work?

HygradeB

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I am new to the forums and have been looking for some time now, to find out if a 128GB micro sd work in a TAB.
I already knw that the 64GB works.
I am looking to get my 10.1 TAB in the next few days and still not decided on the 3g or wifi only version.
Sum may b saying why would I need a 128GB, I intead to use my TAB for work as well as to play with.
I do a PC/Satellite work and now also taking up electrian.
Yes I knw 64GB is a good size, but when I started PC support the world was going mad over 20mb.(hmmmm showing how young i am)
I knw that FAT has limitation.
So if any one has tried any thing over 64gb please tell me what size you was able to use and if any what problems you came accross or was there a set spec SD you had to use.

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
10.2 Tab 2 does though..........in response to your question, with the amount of cloud storage available you don't really need a huge SD card.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
OG tab 10.1 doesn't have sd card slot bro.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

True, but there is a Samsung accessory set of two units that connect to the Samsung connector slot. One is an adaptor to plug in full sized USB stuff. I use that one to print right off my tablet without having to set up wifi network settings or to plug in a USB stick full of good music (saving room on the device). The other connects an SD card to the micro-usb port. That one will take a standard SD adaptor for microSD cards. You wouldn't want to use it (or the USB stick) for anything more permanent like wallpapers, etc. But it's good for file transfers and things like movies and music that aren't used as often and would take away working space on the device.

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
True, but there is a Samsung accessory set of two units that connect to the Samsung connector slot. One is an adaptor to plug in full sized USB stuff. I use that one to print right off my tablet without having to set up wifi network settings or to plug in a USB stick full of good music (saving room on the device). The other connects an SD card to the micro-usb port. That one will take a standard SD adaptor for microSD cards. You wouldn't want to use it (or the USB stick) for anything more permanent like wallpapers, etc. But it's good for file transfers and things like movies and music that aren't used as often and would take away working space on the device.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Sorry. My bad.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I have the same thing, its very handy

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
I have the same thing, its very handy

After posting that, I did a little playing around. It appears that the Tab will play music and probably movies from a card or USB stick. But I'm finding one other shortcoming and I'm unsure if it's me or the Tab. The filemanager that opens on the card or stick doesn't seem to have copy or paste options, unless I'm missing. I have Air Browser, ES File Explorer, and Ghost Commander. None seems to recognize an external card or stick. One of the things I was hoping for was to be able to grab a file off a work computer on a stick, pop that into the Tab and transfer it so I can work on it on the Tab. That one's still eluding me. Any help appreciated.

ecorristine

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, brand new to the forum, just purchased. My galaxy tab 2 GT P5113, with ir blaster, (I hope) and am wondering whether a 64gb sd card will work on it or even a 128 gb before I buy one, and what type sd do I need to buy, any help. Greatly appreciated

USCGrad94

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
If I open the native app called "My Files" on the left side of the screen all the available storage places are visible, then I expand/select what I want and choose MORE select the file, then choose more again, it will change to COPY, RENAME Etc...

That's how I move files around.

Sinom Bre

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Howdy, All:

New member here. I was researching my options on mounting a microSD on my Tab 2 10.1, and I read this article. First off, it's hard finding any microSD card that isn't at least Class-6 or Class-10 anymore, and you won't find lesser classes at Walmart or Office Depot/Office Max. If you need a lesser class, you're looking at Amazon.com or NewEgg or someplace like that. And any Class-10 is probably going to be UHS-1, also. Besides, ordering online can save you anywhere between 20% and half-off.

Just to experiment, I bought two microSD cards from Amazon (You'll have to hunt these down yourselves; being new, the forum won't let me post links):
  1. Samsung 32GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDHC up to 48MB/s with Adapter (MB-MP32DA/AM): $11.99 at Amazon.com
  2. Silicon Power 128GB up to 75MB/s MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class10, Elite Flash Memory Card with Adaptor (SP128GBSTXBU1V20SP): $40.99 at Amazon.com
Fortunately, the Silicon Power arrived today, and it mounted just fine. I must have received exFAT in some firmware update. My Tab 2 10.1 is an AT&T stock model with Wi-Fi and LTE4, un-rooted, and doesn't have any third-party OS tweaks that I'm aware of. I got it for $200 with the bundled Note 3 phone deal I got with AT&T two years ago. Great phone, BTW. I'll stick the 32GB EVO into it.

Now I am sitting and waiting for my tablet to finish moving a bunch of CBR files over to the extSdCard to free up about ⅓ or more of the paltry 16GB (11GB or so usable storage that isn't eaten up by applications) that came with my device, so that I can give you...

My Tablet Device Information:
  • Model number: SAMSUNG-SGH-1497
  • Android version: 4.1.2
  • Kernel version: 3.0.31 - 1218964
  • Build number: JZO54K.I497UCBMF3
Downloaded Apps:
  • 1Weather [works great, but doesn't play well with CM Security :( ]
  • Adobe Acrobat [reader]
  • AndroIRC [Internet Relay Chat client for Android for those of you unfamiliar with IRC]
  • AndrOpen Office [way too hard to use without a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and it's very sluggish on the Tab 2 10.1]
  • Calibre Companion [best eBook manager hands down]
  • Chrome [quick and responsive on the tablet]
  • Clean Master [Good at its job, but rather intrusive]
  • CM Security [Very tight]
  • ComicCat [solid]
  • Firefox [too slow on the tablet, but I use it exclusively on PC]
  • Google Docs [limited toolset on the tablet, and it would also be easier with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse]
  • Google Sheets [haven't used yet]
  • Google Drive [nice]
  • Last Pass [password manager]
  • Moon+ Reader Pro [highly recommend for eBook reading]
  • Poweramp [probably best mobile device music player around]
  • QuickEdit [text & code editor, very slick]
  • RAR [can you live without it?]
  • Wi-Fi Radar [Excellent when you need it, which isn't often]
  • Plus a number of applications that say I downloaded them but are actually AT&T bloatware. They are all too interconnected to really safely disable or uninstall.
Hope this helps some of you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty