New to Android and Samsung and confused about flash

300pete

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a new note 10.1 and am slowly finding my way around it and Android in general. Something that I don't understand is why I can't stream some content because it tells me flash player is required. Then when I follow the link to install flash, I'm told my device does not support it? I went to the adobe site to download flash and got the same message.
I've searched this forum but I couldn't find any obvious solution. Could well be due to my limited knowledge of android devices and systems? Or maybe I'm stupider than I thought?

Don't these things come flash capable out of the box? If not, any advice on how to set it up to play flash, will be appreciated.

Cheers...

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Jacksmyname

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Adobe has ceased development of Flash. If your Note didn't come with Flash installed out of the box, you may be out of luck.
But I think you can download the Flash apk from somewhere on the Adobe site.
I have it stored on my PC. If you want, I'll put it in my Dropbox and send you the link.
Send a pm if you want it.
I can't guarantee it will install or work on your Note.

300pete

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Jack. My note definitely didn't come with flash and when I click the "get flash" link, I get a message telling me it's not available for my device.
That's crap! Even my Mac and iPhone play flash.

Big negative for me on this one Samsung!!!

I'll PM you jack so I can try installing from your version of flash.

Cheers
Pete...

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Jack. My note definitely didn't come with flash and when I click the "get flash" link, I get a message telling me it's not available for my device.
That's crap! Even my Mac and iPhone play flash.

Big negative for me on this one Samsung!!!

I'll PM you jack so I can try installing from your version of flash.

Cheers
Pete...

iOS (iPhone, iPad, etc) devices have NEVER supported Flash. The fact that Android devices did support Flash was a selling point for them a while ago, however Adobe decided to discontinue support. This has nothing to due with Samsung, or any other device manufacturer, because Adobe simply doesn't support mobile devices anymore.

If you encounter a website that won't play content due to missing flash player, then chances are that an iPhone/iPad would get the same result. Sometimes it is a matter of making sure you are viewing the "mobile" version of a site vs. the full desktop version.

There are ways to sideload the old version of mobile Flash onto newer devices, however you also need a browser that supports, and the configurations for getting it work are getting fewer and fewer, so you shouldn't rely on it.

Most web developers, if they want their site to run on mobile devices, should be using alternate protocols, such as HTML5, for their streaming content, but of course there are many that simply don't.

EDIT: For what it's worth, there a lot of good reasons *why* Adobe discontinued Flash support, AND I agree that Flash is NOT the optimal means for providing streaming content on mobile devices...HOWEVER I also feel that those facts don't make it any less frustrating when you're trying to view content on your device and get the dreaded "this site requires Flash" message.

kwjones

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
if you have an android phone that you upgraded flash from google play you can go to the play store on your tablet and click on all programs to show all programs you every downloaded and install. goto adobe flash and click to install. now you have flash.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
if you have an android phone that you upgraded flash from google play you can go to the play store on your tablet and click on all programs to show all programs you every downloaded and install. goto adobe flash and click to install. now you have flash.

Doesn't always work... Newer devices will just say "incompatible"

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty