How Do I start Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Safe Mode?

officerripley

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Need to know how to start Samsung Gal. Tab 10.1 in safe mode; no Menu button on this old model; long-pressing Power Off button does nothing; pressing Volume button on startup doesn't work either (just gives me an endless "Downloading" msg with the Android icon). Maybe this old of a model just can't be started in safe mode? Any help's appreciated; thanks!

officerripley

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Thnx, B. Diddy, but no that doesn't work; all it gives me is pic of a white box w/orange arrow coming out of it, little green android standing next to the box, and a bigger, flashing android with "Downloading" underneath which goes on endlessly 'till I hit Power button; then I get "Android System Recovery": then these choices: reboot system now; apply update fr ext storage; wipe data/factory reset; wipe cache partition; & apply update fr cache. Also says "MANUAL MODE--Updating appl...Successfully updated appl.--Appling Multi-CSC...Applied the CSC-code : XAB; Successfully applied multi-CSC."

Since I don't know what most of that means, I've been choosing "reboot system now" but that just starts the Tab up in regular mode, NOT safe mode. (Tab's been acting strange lately & I heard starting in Safe Mode can sometimes clear up some probs; rather not have to do factory reset like I did before, having to re-download--& repurch in some cases--all my apps, what a pain.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, then try the standard method for most Android devices--press and hold Power until you see the Power menu appear. Then press and hold the Power Off option until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK, and the device will boot into Safe Mode. To get out of Safe Mode, reboot normally.

officerripley

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Thnx anyway, but as I said in my OP, I've already tried that too, pressing on Power Off button (for several moments) did nothing, Safe Mode prompt never shows up. Oh well, I guess this old of a model maybe just can't be started in Safe Mode, thanks anyway.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you keeping the Power button down while you press the Vol Down button, or are you pressing Power, releasing it when you see the screen turn on, then pressing the Volume Down button?

officerripley

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I did; sorry I haven't posted it here sooner (life went nuts). Anyway: Turn tablet off. Wait a few seconds. Turn tablet back on & as soon as Samsung logo shows up, press & hold Volume Down button (on my old tablet, it's on the right side of it) until "Safe Mode" shows up in lower left of tablet's screen. Then let go of the Volume Down button & wait until it finishes starting. When finished doing whatever you needed to do in Safe Mode, you'll have to do a "hard" shut down (NOT Restart) and then turn the tablet back on; you should now no longer be in Safe Mode. Good luck.

MrsTimL

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I tried everything mentioned in these posts but my pad will not get past either the Samsung screen or the Android with "Downloading...Do not turn off target!" statement underneath it. I think my pad is fried. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez