Host USB -and- Charging Support?

Edward Shen

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if there's any way I can have my tablet use its interface as a host usb (act as a computer and conenct out to other devices such as flash drives, webcams, etc), while charging itself as well? I originally tried to do this by plugging the USB end of the charging cable into a hub, but that didn't work, and further research on the internet has indicated that I would need an adapter for it, but if I do, it won't charge.... is there any solution that will do both?

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
A hub requires a driver. Android does not work like windows. I can't imagine how it work work

If your tablet it has a dock you might be able to have what you want in a limited sense like charging and a USB port... depending on equipment

Stephen Gonzalez

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I was searching for the same thing (for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 instead of the Galaxy Tab 2) and I came across a few forum posts with this in it. Figure I'd pass it along. Hope this helps someone:

Well it is possible to charge and have the Galaxy Tab in host mode at the same time. It took us a good while to figure it out but it has been done.

We have built a little cable with 2 usb connectors on the end - one for charging, one for a USB host device such as a usb-memory stick, keyboard, serial port etc. Note, you can also connect a hub.

The circuitry to do this little trick is quite complicated and requires a state-sequential machine (cpu) to cycle the tablet whenever charge power is applied. The unfortunate negative of this is that whenever charge power is applied the tablet will disconnect all host devices, enable charging and then reconnect the attached devices. If charge power is unplugged later on the host mode is not affected. Charge rate varies with battery level. The highest rate (about 1.7 amps will be achieved when the tablet is near or below 10% battery charge. As the battery becomes more fully charged the tablet automatically reduces power draw. Once fully charged the tablet will draw about 700mA with screen full on (full brightness) keeping the battery at full charge.

Roman Wynnyckyj
Lava Computer MFG. Inc.
LAVA: The Source for Ports - Serial Port Experts

Here's a link to it: USB Host & Charging Adapter for Samsung Galaxy Tab | LAVA: The Source for Ports - Serial Port Experts