alanierrn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a case for my tab 2 7 inch. My 6 year old daughter plays with it a lot so I need something with a little extra protection. I was given the otterbox for it for Christmas, but am afraid it will add to much bulk to the tablet. I enjoy the thinness of it now...suggestions?

stesmo

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Online stores have a mess of 'em. When searching, note that the first Tab 7" will still fit, but you will have to do some work with an xacto knife to cut open a few holes for headphone and other ports, as the layout changed. This is what we did for the tablet for the kids; we purchased the Samsung branded (at the time on sale for $7) and cut out a couple holes. The remote control IR blaster wasn't needed for our tablets, for example, so we didn't cut out access for it.

If you want a case designed for the Tab 2 layout, search for Tab 7" Plus, as the port layout is supposed to be the same.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
So far, the one I prefer is the Belkin Bi-Fold Folio with Stand for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, which you can usually find at your local Best Buy store. And I've tried a good half-dozen cases by now. Bottom line, I just hate the cheapo cases that cover the entire bezel with material -- the cases that just grasp the tablet at the corners are MUCH more satisfying to me, at least. Here's a link to the case:

Bi-Fold Folio with Stand for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 | Hard Case | Cases & Protection | Products | Belkin USA Site

Good luck!

alanierrn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
@Thoots, you dont like the ones that have the material that covers the front of the tab? I was thinking it might protect the tablet a little more...

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
@Thoots, you dont like the ones that have the material that covers the front of the tab? I was thinking it might protect the tablet a little more...

Oh, I suppose they might "protect" a little more, but I have always found that they just get in the way. Any time you try to touch a control near the edge of the screen, you've got that material right next to it, and I sure feel that it "gets in the way." I've tried that kind of case, and I just wound up HATING it within minutes. I definitely prefer the cases that just grab the tablet at the corners -- it looks like companies have really figured out how to make these cases now.

alanierrn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was given the otterbox for Christmas for it. It makes it twice the weight though, and when I tried to put it on the tablet the screen protector on the otterbox that covers the entire front tends to get in the way of the edges of the screen. Makes pulling down the notifications screen difficult. The otterbox case weighs as much as the tablet it seems.