Samsung tab 3 charging problems

Dale Scutter

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a tab 3 and it charges at home ok but it won't charge in my coach (24v) system but all cigarette lighter adapters work on 12/24v nowadays I have a note 2 and that charges in the coach fine
HELP PLEASE

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the same charger at home? If not, have you checked the current output of the coach charger? Tablets draw more current than phones (yeah, even phablets). That's why most USB ports will not power a tablet but have no issues in charging phones, albeit slowly. I believe the minimum rating you need to charge the tablet is 750mA (but I might be wrong and it might be 1A)

Dale Scutter

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've tried a usb lead with a cigarette lighter end that wouldn't charge at all then a full car charger with coiled lead and that lit up the power symbol but wouldn't charge

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, it's gotta be something with the Amp current. If it's too low, it will 'charge', but ever so slowly or not even enough to even keep the screen on. If your tablet charges with a 'regular' wall charger, chances are the problem is not in the tablet but in the car charger you're using.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You need this little tool to find out if your adapter has the right output of 2 Amps:
usb current and voltage tester | eBay

Tab 3 require any charger with out put of 5V, 2Amps to charge properly.
Many people use Ipad's adapter ( 5V, 1Amp ) to charge Tab 3 without knowing that it only has half the needed current for Samsung tablets, even using Samsung phone adapter with output of 0.7A to charge as long as it fits to the usb port.

Last edited: