Tab S on MetroPCS ?

ThrottleAbuse

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about picking up a Tab S from expansys-usa and using buying a $15/month plan on MetroPCS. Will this work?

Also am I just wasting money getting the one that hooks up to the network and not the wifi only version? Right now I have a Galaxy S5 on verizon with unlimited data. Just thought it would be handy to have the tablet with its own data plan instead of tethering and such. Can't decide if its a waste since the tablet would be $90 more and then $15 per month. Or is there a way to just buy data by the GB that would work with this tablet?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I have been on VZW since I got a smart phone. Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Buying a tethering plan on Verizon would kill your UDP. Almost any change puts you on a current plan.

If you need a tablet, and you need mobile data on it, the only way to go is to buy a tablet and either get a separate plan for it, or just add it to your current UDP as a new line - which won't get unlimited data, but will only cost a few dollars a month. If I had an UDP, and needed a tab with mobile data, that's the way I'd go - I'd add it to my current plan. (You'll get the same amount of data for nominally the same price [there may be a few dollars difference] whether you pay for a separate plan for the tab or just add it to your current plan, so the extra money for the separate plan is wasted money.)

The question is whether you need a tab, and whether you need mobile data on it. If you're almost always going to be using it where there's wifi (and open AT&T and TMobile hotspots, as well as your local cable internet company's hotspots, are all over the place these days, as are signals at Starbucks, McDonalds and a lot of other stores), just don't notify Verizon yet, and use it on wifi. If, in the future, things change and you need mobile data, you can add the tab to your plan then.

ThrottleAbuse

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I have no desire to add it to my Verizon plan. VZW network is awesome, but expensive. I will keep my phone there.

What I am really interested in knowing is if the tablet will work on MetroPCS if I go that route. What I am thinking is to buy the model that has mobile data capabilities and see how it goes. If tethering is too much of a pain all the time I will buy the data. Although it seems like a waste of $90 on the initial price of the tablet if I don't ever hook up the mobile data. Which it seems like I may not.