How to Skip Verizon Splash Screen on Galaxy Tab S 10.5

GLinNM

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased a used Galaxy Tab S 10.5.
When it arrived I found it was from Verizon and said 4G LTE on the back.
So it must have the capability to connect to the mobile phone network.
I had not planned to use it on cellular, but more as a Reader and Video Player.
Using Wi-Fi.

So I have several questions...
First:
When I turn on the tablet it comes up in the red Verizon splash screen and asks for a SIM Card.
I do not have one, so I click None and it then continues to the Android home screen.
Is there a way to skip the splash screen and start directly to Android?
Would doing a Hard Reset make the tablet skip the splash screen?
Do I need to have the tablet Unlocked from Verizon to do this?
Second:
I had not expected the tablet to have cellular capability.
However I might be able to use it.
But Verizon is CDMA and my cellular account is with T-Mobile on GSM.
I see the Tab S has frequencies for LTE (FDD).
Is the tablet able to connect to CDMA and GSM as is possible with my Nexus 5x?
If so what do I need to do??

I love the large screen and the picture quality. That is why I bought a 2 year old Tab S.
Many thanks for any replys.
George in New Mexico

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Wish you were closer. I have the T mobile version bought off Swappa a few months ago.

In answering your question, my splash screen only does that when I had it powered down. I usually let it just go to sleep and when I wake it up no splash screen. Battery lasts days depending on use.

GLinNM

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Wish you were closer. I have the T mobile version bought off Swappa a few months ago.

Jims S5, thanks for your reply. Yes I have found I can avoid the Splash Screen by not powering off the tablet. This may be the best solution. I also see Tab S came in 3 models: T-800 (Wi-Fi only), T-805 (3G, 4G/LTE & Wi-Fi), and T-807 (3G, 4G/LTE & Wi-Fi). The tablet I received is T-807V; which I guess the the Verizon CDMA unit. And the T-805 is probably the ATT, T-Mobile GSM unit. I have not found any phone repair shop here in Santa Fe, NM that I can ask about Unlocking the Tab S. Most just do sales for wireless carriers. So I think it is not possible to use my tablet Overseas on GSM networks. OH WELL, will use Wi-Fi for the tablet and GSM for my Nexus 5x. Life goes on!!! ;-)

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You can try your SIM to see if it's unlocked. However, this tablet uses micro SIM, nano SIM needs an adapter to fit into the SIM slot.
However, you need to set APN ( Access Point Name ) for a particular provider like T Mobile or AT&T, otherwise the tablet won't find the network.
You can look for unlocked service on Ebay but I see most Verizon LTE tablets I bought are unlocked, like SM-P605V or SM-P905V.
I use AT&T nano SIM from my Iphone to see if a Verizon tablet is unlocked.

GLinNM

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
The vendor I bought the used tablet from has sent me instruction on how to install T-Mobile on the Tab S 10.5.
I have done that but not sure it is working?? My problem is I do not get a Signal from T-Mobile at my house. So I will take the tablet into the City and try there.
NOW, my latest adventure is trying to update the OS to Mashmellow.
I tried Setting, Software Update, Check new update and it went to Verizon. BUT again, I do not have a Verizon SIM Card. It gave me a message the Service unavailable.
I have always been able to update my Nexus 5x over Wi-Fi.
Should that also work for the Tab S??

GLinNM

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Well, I did get the Table updated to Andriod 6.0.1, Marshmallow. And it works fine.
I used Samsung Smart to access the Table and do the Update.

Here are the instructions I received from the vendor.
It did not work for me even with a T-Mobile SIM in the tablet.
At the splash screen I still get a message, No Verizon SIM Card...

Try this to change the APN on your Tablet

APN & data settings
To set the Access Point Name (APN) and turn on data settings, follow these steps:

>From any Home screen, tap the Apps icon.
Tap Settings.
Tap More settings.
Tap Mobile networks.
Tap Access Point Names.
If available, tap the T-Mobile US LTE (the bullet point fills with green). If not available, tap the Menu icon, and then tap New APN.
Note: To reset your APN settings, tap the Menu key and then tap Reset to default.
Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
Name: T-Mobile US LTE
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: <Not set>
MMS port: <Not set>
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: <Not set> OR Internet+MMS
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: <greyed out unless there are multiple APN's>
Bearer: Unspecified
Tap the Menu key.
Tap Save.
Tap the desired APN profile you want to use. The bullet point fills with green next to the APN profile.

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Believe you get updates from the carrier. I also have a t mobile but I have Verizon as my carrier. Not sure what I should do.