Will the S 8.4 get the Android Lollipop update?

dynot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been waiting for the official specs on the new Nexus 9 before I made a decision on which tablet will be my first Android device. Based on today's announcement I think I'll go with Tab S 8.4 but would like to know if it'll be getting the Lollipop update. I'm thinking yes but I'm new to Android and figure you folks will know better.

While I'm at it, what are opinions on the fingerprint scanner? This is a major feature I am attracted to as is the multi-window.

Thanks

jonmayer

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I suspect it will be awhile until they update TouchWiz to run on Lollipop. I haven't searched yet, but I wonder if anyone has the current Tab S software running in ART. I think that will be the majority of updating involved for Samsung, along with deciding which notification scheme to use.

I too decided on this tablet after the Nexus 9 announcement. Until I hit a real reason to need Lollipop, I don't think it will be a major issue. I've played with the tablet in store before ordering one, but I didn't get a chance to play with the fingerprint scanner. Not a big deal for me, I also don't like lock-screens on my tablets FWIW.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I initially tried the finger print scanner but immediately fooled it somewhat. Rather than swipe ONE finger, I alternately swiped the pointer on one hand, then the other hand the requisite number of times. It accepted this ruse. But only one finger worked.

Also I now have the Tab S (10.5) in a Logitech keyboard case. So if I have it standing in the easel-like format, keyboard flat and screen upright, I can't swipe my finger easily due to the "bend" between the keyboard and the Home-Button.

I got my 10.5 at Costco and it came with the minimalist screen cover. The cover has a magnet that triggers Standby or takes it out of standby when opened/closed. One "startup" or "out-of-standby" issue is when I open the magnet cover, the screen comes on for the entry of my password (I went with numeric password, so far), the screen turns off very quickly (maybe about 4 or 5 seconds). So, unless I'm ready to really enter the password rather than get the Tab into a position where I'm ready to touch the numbers, the screen goes off. Not a huge issue but I have to again touch the home button.

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know if it'll be getting the Lollipop update.
While I'm at it, what are opinions on the fingerprint scanner? This is a major feature I am attracted to as is the multi-window.

The Tab S is still pretty new. It will get a Android 5.0 eventually. But it could literally be months. In fact, with the lifecycle i'm used to seeing with Samsung, they will probably release a brand new tablet next month specifically for Android L 5.0...

Not enough apps have Multi-Window capability. I haven't used mulit-window since the first week i've owned the tablet. Good potential, but seems like no developers are using the API. I have a handful of popular apps and none do multi-window. I sure wish Reddit Now used this capability.

As for the scanner. I didn't really have a need for it. But more and more I have been unlocking the tab on accident because the power button gets activated or something. I never tried to fool it, but the scanner did work the few times I used it.

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Yea there was sarcasm, but how many 'current' tablets does Samsung have out now? Half a dozen? I really wouldn't be surprised to see a new tab that has 5.0 that gets released in Q1 2015...before us Tab S folks see 5.0. It will be called Samsung Galaxy Tab SL 5.0 8.9" with Samsung TouchWiz.
It will be 2 Months after that, us Tab S 8.4 folks will get Android L 5.0. Yet by that time Android will be on atleast 5.3.

FelixE

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi

As yourself, I also decided to wait for the Nexus 9 specs before deciding. Now that I've seen the specs, I found nothing convincing about them (short or stock Android L and possibly 64-bit architecture), and just ordered the Galaxy Tab S 8.4, special deal at 299! My arguments for the Samsung tablet: much lighter (ca 30%!), better screen with higher DPI, micro-SD card extension up to 128GB, and last but not least the special deal which made it sooo much cheaper. Sure, the battery is smaller, but I definitely prefer the somewhat smaller screen and smaller battery in return for the much lower weight.

As for Android 5.0; I'm tempted to agree with StatuSChecKa, that Samsung is more likely to bring a new tablet to market with L before an update is made for the S... But if I ran the tablet division at Samsung, I would argue that the specs of the existing device are sufficiently superior to that of the Nexus 9, that providing a quick OS-upgrade of the Tab S line (and of course broadcasting that news worldwide) would make a lot of potential N9 buyers think twice, while at the same time securing the loyalty of everyone who already bought an S tab.

I'll definitely keep a close eye on the XDA forums in the coming months, hoping that some hacker-genius provides a workable Android L ROM for S 8.4 soon. Speaking of which; does anybody know if there is a stock Android KitKat ROM for the S 8.4?

dynot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I'll definitely keep a close eye on the XDA forums in the coming months, hoping that some hacker-genius provides a workable Android L ROM for S 8.4 soon. Speaking of which; does anybody know if there is a stock Android KitKat ROM for the S 8.4?

I read somewhere that Samsung is planning on releasing a new, optimized and more efficient, version of Touchwiz possibly with Android L for the Tab S. It must be true if it's on the internet, LOL.

relic74

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
After owning a Tab 3, I will never buy another Samsung tablet again, not only does Samsung have the biggest problem updating their products that I have ever seen from a company but their heavily skinned TouchWiz is complete garbage. Nokia just introduced a new tablet called the N1, great specs much better build quality, aluminium vs. Cheap plastic that Samsung keeps using for some reason and pure Lollipop. I would stay away from Samsung products until they after they restructure their mobile division because as of right now you just asking for a huge headache if you buy anything from them, just garbage.

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
^ Dude this is the lightest tablet I have ever held, you can't do that with aluminum.
Also, provide a times table of how fast other manufacturers roll out Android OS's.

I use iPhone on a daily basis, but I used to own a Samsung phone, and now a Samsung tablet (never thought I'd own a Samsung tablet..) Its not bad, however I understand your frustrations.

Catman51

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I had the Asus Transformer Prime. They put metal on it, ruined GPS and wifi completely.

Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy Note 3

Brandon Salvesen

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
tab s is a very good option but the nexus 9 had some advantages

The tab s's fingerprint scanner is ok but not great, I wake the device and try to swipe my finger but it wasn't actually ready to register my finger to unlock, and it happens numerous times even after I set the screen time out. Also sometimes it freezes for a few seconds where it doesn't do anything, but other than that the screen is the best of any tablet, battery is OK but because of such a high resolution display, the battery drains pretty fast (for my usage).

Matthew Thomas8

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Do you suspect that the lollipop upgrade will improve battery life on the Galaxy S 8.4? I am having issues with that and still hoping it is not a defective battery in my tablet.

nonnasmyladie

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Unless lollipop can fix my tablet and make the battery last more them 1 hour I don't really care. Samsung tab s is the most expensive paper weight I own

Posted via the Android Central App

Brandon Salvesen

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I suspect it will be awhile until they update TouchWiz to run on Lollipop. I haven't searched yet, but I wonder if anyone has the current Tab S software running in ART. I think that will be the majority of updating involved for Samsung, along with deciding which notification scheme to use.

I too decided on this tablet after the Nexus 9 announcement. Until I hit a real reason to need Lollipop, I don't think it will be a major issue. I've played with the tablet in store before ordering one, but I didn't get a chance to play with the fingerprint scanner. Not a big deal for me, I also don't like lock-screens on my tablets FWIW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez