Wi-Fi will no longer show 4G or 5G after upgrading to 5.0 Android 13.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i still don't get it why is it if i restart and log in while on wifi i see 4g or 5g come up for a few mins then disappear

The boot process is a chain of actions that continues even after getting to the home screen. My guess is this temporary showing is the phone not yet processing a Wi-Fi check to turn mobile data off because it's still working though the boot process. It may also be purposefully kept on during a "phone home" function to establish the phone on your carrier's network.

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
despite that when i was like at planet fitness tonight i turn off data and turn on wifi and i saw i think it was either 4g or 5g then it disappeared that's still odd also since was in car coming home didn't put phone on data when got home my phone auto connect to my home wifi

i know some folks like having their phones on wifi and mobile data at the same time but i'm the opposite when i get home i turn off data and turn on wifi or if i'm out while turn on data if i'm at a place like planet fitness or a restaurant that has wifi i auto connect if i can

however lately i notice that if you try to sign into wifi say o charlies they want email or facebook<-i don't do that i just leave it on mobile data

now like i said there's actually no reason to have wifi and mobile data on at same time because what's the point 4g/5g symbol won't show up anymore i guess i'll been doing this since s7 maybe when i had a droid i don't know

again it doesn't bother me i like just when go out if i find a wifi or when i'm at home turn off data and turn on wifi i'm used to it besides mobile data is always slow even in the past when my internet goes down and i have to used mobile data due to wifi down its so slow meh

i don't know what intelligent wifi thing so are you telling me if i turn off 1 of those i may see 4g or 5g symbol come up again when connect to wifi won't disappeared?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
despite that when i was like at planet fitness tonight i turn off data and turn on wifi and i saw i think it was either 4g or 5g then it disappeared that's still odd also since was in car coming home didn't put phone on data when got home my phone auto connect to my home wifi

i know some folks like having their phones on wifi and mobile data at the same time but i'm the opposite when i get home i turn off data and turn on wifi or if i'm out while turn on data if i'm at a place like planet fitness or a restaurant that has wifi i auto connect if i can

however lately i notice that if you try to sign into wifi say o charlies they want email or facebook<-i don't do that i just leave it on mobile data

i don't know what intelligent wifi thing so are you telling me if i turn off 1 of those i may see 4g or 5g symbol come up again when connect to wifi won't disappeared?
Yeah when toggle on you can see it come up same time if WiFi weak

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i'm looking you got more stuff then me i only see switch mobile data turn wifi on or off automatically which is both off

show network quality which is on delete suspicious network wifi power saving mode are all off and auto hotspot connection is never

you see i got my wifi auto connect when i turn off mobile data and turn on wifi like my home wifi

it is say intelliegent wifi 5.0.0 btw

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i'm looking you got more stuff then me i only see switch mobile data turn wifi on or off automatically which is both off

show network quality which is on delete suspicious network wifi power saving mode are all off and auto hotspot connection is never

you see i got my wifi auto connect when i turn off mobile data and turn on wifi like my home wifi

it is say intelliegent wifi 5.0.0 btw
This Android 13 5.0 UI Flip 4
Main thing don't go crazy over it

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
ha i try to like turn it switch to mobile data while on wifi but it name is grey out and when i try to switch it also white button grey won't work i guess you have to have it on mobile then go into wifi turn it on i don't know

now when i did actually turn wifi on/off automatically to on it still never show me 4g or 5g symbol while being on wifi only seeing wifi symbol

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
ha i try to like turn on switch to mobile data while on wifi but name is grey out and when i try to switch it also white button grey won't work i guess you have to have it on mobile then go into wifi turn it on i don't know

now when i did actually turn wifi on/off automatically to on it still never show me 4g or 5g symbol while being on wifi only seeing wifi symbol<-i don't know what's the point in having this since i got wifi to auto connect when i turn off data and find a wifi like my home wifi and it auto connect ya know

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
ha i try to like turn it switch to mobile data while on wifi but it name is grey out and when i try to switch it also white button grey won't work i guess you have to have it on mobile then go into wifi turn it on i don't know

now when i did actually turn wifi on/off automatically to on it still never show me 4g or 5g symbol while being on wifi only seeing wifi symbol
It won't until a app or application uses mobile data like this app I turn off to use mobile data in the background Screenshot_20221207_204844_Settings.jpg

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
oh ok then i guess reason why when i'm out not at home and turn on mobile data and for an example when i come back home or find a wifi i always turn off then turn wifi on again i know i'm different my brother used to in past keep saying keep them both on at same time but it doesn't bother me ya know again i think been doing that same method since s7 not sure why i just do ha

now like i said if somehow my wifi goes down at home a day or 2 due to storm or something like that then i turn on mobile data which is always slow am not sure due to 5.0 will help or not then when i see internet wifi back up again i turn off data then turn wifi back on i think real reason why i do that because mobile data used to eat up in the past

then my dad got on unlimited text and phone calls<-we are still using same old plan which currently pass over from my s7 phone to s20 plus phone btw and you know i'm still android man everybody else in family iphone

including my brother and his family its going to be hard my s20 plus phone dies on me or something like that and samsung after s20 haven't bought back sd card slots on any phones i think newest one is s22 or s23 as of now?

because again i got all of my pics and stuff on sd card that is why i got s20 plus because iphone don't have no sd card on it

is it bad that i should try to get me a new screen protector because current one that was on it when 1st got phone walmart few years ago already got bubbles and stuff on it but i'm too sorry to go buy one to replace it i just let it go so to speak

used to i didn't care about screen protectors on phone i try few times s7 then before space was running low i decided to never put a screen protector on it again i didn't know that s20 plus already had screen protector on it when got walmart few years ago

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
well at least 1 good thing despite bubbles some scratches dirt and stuff on so called screen protector on my s20 plus phone<-i do try to clean it a little bit if i can that is it's not torn or anything yet ha

now surely i hope android 13 ui 5.0 isn't last major update on s20 plus phone and then will just start getting security updates only do you think down the road their might be another major update i guess like android 14 on phone or do think is it?

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
FWIW I lost that symbol when I upgraded as well. Turn off WIFI its back, I owuld say mildly annoying but definitely not end of the world stiff. I would sometimes switch off WIFI if it was a weak signal but the 5G was available.
Happy New Year

Also for some reason I could not get to the forums for at least a couple weeks and now obviously they are back. tried different browsers as well

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
FWIW I lost that symbol when I upgraded as well. Turn off WIFI its back, I owuld say mildly annoying but definitely not end of the world stiff. I would sometimes switch off WIFI if it was a weak signal but the 5G was available.
Happy New Year

Also for some reason I could not get to the forums for at least a couple weeks and now obviously they are back. tried different browsers as well
Try the Andriod Forums app or Tapatalk

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just downloaded the Android Central Forums app which is different than my android Central app which hasn't worked in a long time
Thanks for the tip I just assumed it was the same app

Sent from my SM-G781V using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter