Need a second charging cable - any recommendations? What kind?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This may be a stupid question but I don't want to get it wrong. I need a second charging cable for my Tab S 8.4. Which one do I get? Does Monoprice happen to sell them?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Just for charging, not for a Video adapter or anything like that? Any microUSB to USB cable. I carry a different brand of USB 2.0 Retractable Cable - A Male to Micro B Male - 2.5 Ft - Monoprice.com in my pocket, along with a charger, all the time. (Read the reviews at that link - if the cable is as good as the one I have - and I've had mine for a few years - the reviews are understated. 2 bucks? Most windup cables, regardless of connector types, sell for $5-$10 or more.)

USB to microUSB charging is universal. (Samsung has a number of different setups, so some cables need all 5 pins to tell the device that it's on an AC charger and to draw more current, but it'll charge just fine [but as slowly as from a computer's USB port] with any cable.)

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
For my Galaxy Tab S, Note Edge and other Micro USB cables, I just buy them from Amazon. They cost about $5. I like the nylon flexible ones and they seem to work well. Sometimes the Samsung ones are on Amazon for about $8 and then I opt for those. I tend to buy the ones on Amazon that have the best reviews.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I just noticed that my phone cables don't fit into the Tab S so I knew it was something different. I'll try that retractable one. Exactly what I need for travelling.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been buying from Monoprice for years. Hdmi and other cables. An ir remote hdmi switch box - worked terrific. I don't know how they can price so low!!!!

spydre

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
USB to microUSB charging is universal. (Samsung has a number of different setups, so some cables need all 5 pins to tell the device that it's on an AC charger and to draw more current, but it'll charge just fine [but as slowly as from a computer's USB port] with any cable.)

I sort of have a stock of USB cables on hand - but that's for my Nexus. The cable that came WITH my Nexus "broke" pretty quickly just above where you plug it into the device, the wires broke and started protuding from the sheath, so yeah, it didn't charge anymore. I have USB cords from old cell phones, and old e-cigarette that I don't use that particular one anymore, and two from Amazon. My Nexus is currently plugged into my cell phone cable, the cell phone is plugged into one of them from Amazon (because that cable is too short to reach my desk surface where I keep the tablet, and the cell phone cables are too long since I leave it on the top of my old "computer hutch" style desk (the power strip is on top of the desk, for various reasons, but it has to be). And then, I have an external hard drive/battery charger for my phone, and the USB cable that came with that was bad from the start, so I use the USB cable that came with my e-cigarrette (MVP for anyone who vapes) to charge the external battery (but it can be used to charge anything with a USB port).

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This may be a stupid question but I don't want to get it wrong. I need a second charging cable for my Tab S 8.4. Which one do I get? Does Monoprice happen to sell them?

Thanks!

If you just need a charging cable, I use this. From what I understand it has two pins shorted out so your device isn't spending charging current looking for a data stream.

It takes my Tab S about 15 minutes to charge from about 70% to full.

spydre

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
If you just need a charging cable, I use this. From what I understand it has two pins shorted out so your device isn't spending charging current looking for a data stream.

It takes my Tab S about 15 minutes to charge from about 70% to full.

Not sure that's any faster than what it takes mine on the factory provided cable, or any other USB cable, to charge from 70%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis870