Is adaptive charging reliable? No overnight charge twice in a week

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My phone didn't charge overnight. This is the second time in about a week so I thought I'd get your thoughts. I am sure I plugged it in properly and felt the little buzz that it was connected. This morning, I checked that the cable was in before I unplugged it. I unplugged/plugged in again just to see if it would start charging and it did.

I have "adaptive charging" turned on. Is "adaptive charging" known to be glitchy?

I am going to replace the cable and see how it goes. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Blow out the port on the phone in case there is lint or something interfering with the connection. And check your cable for wear/damage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you have an alarm set? If so, did you wake up before the alarm and check your battery? Adaptive charging depends on your alarm -- it won't finish the charge until it's getting close to your alarm time, to prevent having the battery stuck at 100% while still plugged in overnight. If you don't have an alarm set, I'm not sure if Adaptive Charging does anything different.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Blow out the port on the phone in case there is lint or something interfering with the connection. And check your cable for wear/damage.

Thanks for the reply. I did check the port and blow it out but I didn't check the cable. It seems to be in good shape. I'm still going to swap it out with a different one.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you have an alarm set? If so, did you wake up before the alarm and check your battery? Adaptive charging depends on your alarm -- it won't finish the charge until it's getting close to your alarm time, to prevent having the battery stuck at 100% while still plugged in overnight. If you don't have an alarm set, I'm not sure if Adaptive Charging does anything different.

Good thought. I didn't touch the phone until 745am. I have a silent alarm set for 6am to ensure the phone is fully charged when I get up which is usually anywhere between 6:00am and 730am. I'm currently attempting the "natural wake-up" approach, no alarm. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good thought. I didn't touch the phone until 745am. I have a silent alarm set for 6am to ensure the phone is fully charged when I get up which is usually anywhere between 6:00am and 730am. I'm currently attempting the "natural wake-up" approach, no alarm. :)

That should've been fully charged, then. Unless you had the silent alarm set for 6 PM instead of AM (which I've done before, so no judgment here;)).

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
That should've been fully charged, then. Unless you had the silent alarm set for 6 PM instead of AM (which I've done before, so no judgment here;)).

It's AM but I appreciate the heads up, I could see myself doing something stupid like that.

Trying new cable tonight.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Been using this feature with my Pixel stand 2 without issue. The only time it's not fully charged is when I wake up an hour or more before my alarm.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My phone didn't charge overnight. This is the second time in about a week so I thought I'd get your thoughts. I am sure I plugged it in properly and felt the little buzz that it was connected. This morning, I checked that the cable was in before I unplugged it. I unplugged/plugged in again just to see if it would start charging and it did.

I have "adaptive charging" turned on. Is "adaptive charging" known to be glitchy?

I am going to replace the cable and see how it goes. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
It didn't charge at all?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It didn't charge at all?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

It indicated it is charging when I hit the sack. In the morning, there is no indication it is charging. Last time, it was 40% in the morning. The previous time, it was around 25% in the morning. I think it's charging at first then something is causing it to stop.

I started using a different cable and last night, it charged to 100%. This only happens roughly once a week or so. I'll report back if it does it again. Gotta love intermittent problems.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It indicated it is charging when I hit the sack. In the morning, there is no indication it is charging. Last time, it was 40% in the morning. The previous time, it was around 25% in the morning. I think it's charging at first then something is causing it to stop.

I started using a different cable and last night, it charged to 100%. This only happens roughly once a week or so. I'll report back if it does it again. Gotta love intermittent problems.
Those are the worse intermittent problems

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's why I switched to 24 hour time. I once inadvertently set an alarm for 6 pm instead of 6 am. Luckily I woke up without the alarm, but I wanted to ensure that mistake wouldn't happen again.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Technerd71

Dec 17, 2022
Visit site
In my experience adaptive charging works well.

I think the previous poster meant to suggest that you try charging without adaptive charging just to see if it charges. If it charges fine without adaptive charging then it is a software issue and if it still doesn't charge it is hardware.

If you try a different cable and a decent charging brick and still have an issue it might be the USB c port on your phone.

If the phone charges fine without adaptive charging then maybe try setting a regular alarm and not silent. If that doesn't work but you know the charging brick and cable are good maybe reset the device after backup and try again?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
First, thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. I wanted to come back and give a final report.

Long story short, evidence points to the charger. Replaced it. It's a first. Never had a charger "go bad."

I have my 6:00am silent alarm set so adaptive charging has a target. When I plug it in it tells me it will be charged by 6:00am and it actually does it.

So, I guess adaptive charging isn't glitchy. Just me and my charger.

Again, thanks all!

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
First, thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. I wanted to come back and give a final report.

Long story short, evidence points to the charger. Replaced it. It's a first. Never had a charger "go bad."

I have my 6:00am silent alarm set so adaptive charging has a target. When I plug it in it tells me it will be charged by 6:00am and it actually does it.

So, I guess adaptive charging isn't glitchy. Just me and my charger.

Again, thanks all!
This has happened to me several times and it ended up being my charger as well. Glad that you got it worked out!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Glad you figured it out. Adaptive charging has been working good for me. My wireless charger is a little finicky, but as long as Its lined up it works. Almost turned it off, one morning I got up about an hour and 1/2 early and had a long drive so just left and noticed it was at 80% or so after charging all night. So thats something to watch out for.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Glad you figured it out. Adaptive charging has been working good for me. My wireless charger is a little finicky, but as long as Its lined up it works. Almost turned it off, one morning I got up about an hour and 1/2 early and had a long drive so just left and noticed it was at 80% or so after charging all night. So thats something to watch out for.

I have zero issues with this, and I have a pretty thick case (Spigen's most protective model, it's pretty stout! ;)), and mine charges VERY reliably, using a couple of good wireless chargers (I honestly can't remember the last time I plugged my phone in). I have had issues with phones and "budget Qi chargers", in years/phones past, they are definitely not all built equally...