GTab WiFi and tethering?

Jubz

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Don't need full-time 3G nor want to pay for another account, but it would be great to tether when needed to an existing account.

Any one know if the WiFi only GTab can be tethered, like to a Droid X?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't need full-time 3G nor want to pay for another account, but it would be great to tether when needed to an existing account.

Any one know if the WiFi only GTab can be tethered, like to a Droid X?

Not sure what tethering programs are available for the Droid X, but to tether mobile device to mobile device you'll need an app capable of infrastructure mode. I'd check on that before I buy if that's important to you.

Last edited:

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If your using WiFi, you should be able to connect to any WiFi source whether that is your phone, your router, Starbucks...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If your using WiFi, you should be able to connect to any WiFi source whether that is your phone, your router, Starbucks...

That's what I used to think, but there are different kinds of WiFi connections. If your phone only supports Ad Hoc, only computers and laptops can connect to it. For other mobile devices like tablets to connect, you need infrastructure mode.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually use the wifi tether on my Evo to connect my Zune HD. I'm not sure if you can infer anything out of that but I'm really hoping a tablet can tether off the Evo.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
If your EVO can act as a wifi hotspot (either with Sprint's Hotspot option or with a rooted hack/program), the Tab will connect to it via wifi. What I don't think you will be able to accomplish is tethering the EVO to the Tab via a cable.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If your EVO can act as a wifi hotspot (either with Sprint's Hotspot option or with a rooted hack/program), the Tab will connect to it via wifi. What I don't think you will be able to accomplish is tethering the EVO to the Tab via a cable.

I know the Archos has USB hosting in it, I'm not sure if that's built in to Android or an add on. (You just need an adapter to host with the right micro USB configuration)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87