Who is using Skype on their Tab?

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using Skype on their Tab? I want the Sprint Tab, but want the be able to use Skype with Video on it.... Is this possible?

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Skype w/ video isn't out yet for android. I use yahoo messenger w/ the video plugin and it works great so when skype does come around it will work great.

CrazySquirrel

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Excuse the redundency/../

I am sorry, did you mean you are using yahoo messenger on the Samsung Galaxy tablet and able to use the front facing cam for vid chat? Is it on the VZw network or not ? If not, is there any app that you can use the ffc for vid chat?

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep I used the Ffc on the samsung galaxy tab for video chat. I used it wifi only. I am not hooked up to 3G. I did a test between my iPhone and the tab and it worked great.

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Yep I used the Ffc on the samsung galaxy tab for video chat. I used it wifi only. I am not hooked up to 3G. I did a test between my iPhone and the tab and it worked great.
Can you post the version number of the Yahoo Messenger plug-in that you're using? I can't get it to use the front camera, and with the last version update, I don't have the "switch camera" button anymore. I would love to use it, but I can seem to get it to face the way I need it to. Thanks for your help. Any details about steps you took would be helpful.

Reactions: CrazySquirrel

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I will give a look over again. Not for sure what version I have, but I will check that and do some more test. I will publish the steps later.

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
the version of the ym plugin i have is 1.3.0. I did another test between my iphone and the gtab and it automatically used the FFC on both devices. I really didn't do anything special. just selected the account that was active on my iphone called it and the video popped up w/ no problem. I am not for sure why you are not able to use the FFC.

CrazySquirrel

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Skype w/ video isn't out yet for android. I use yahoo messenger w/ the video plugin and it works great so when skype does come around it will work great.
MM.. have to ask with the other guy.. cannot get the ffc camera to work at all, with yahoo, plug in, etc... have the latest.. update.. everything.. is this a network issue where it is specifically blocked ? I have vzw.., and tried with two people, one on a desktop.. via yahoo and one running on a super rooted droid incredibel..could this be iphone only compatible.. I have not heard of any one using this function successfully yet ... Any one else ? It would be nice if I didn't have to go replace my ipod touch 4g that was stolen to talk to my sis... lol

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the sprint tab so it might be a network thing. I will do a tab to computer test and see how that works. I was able to switch from front to back w/ no problems. I will post my updated finds later today. I am starting to see alot of differences between the different tabs. Are you trying your test on 3G or wifi? I know yahoo will work on the iPhone over 3G so it should work for android if course I am on AT&T 3G network for my iPhone. Let me do some more testing an get back to you.

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
ok i did another test this time between a macbook and the tab and YM w/ video will not work between the two. I am still able to use my iphone and the tab w/ no problems except when i hit the filp camera button the back camera kind of freaks out my iphone and the video freezes other than that i had no problem.

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
It does have a front camera. You have several option like yahoo messenger, qik video, tango maybe some others. Pick your program install and make sure the other person has the same app. I use yahoo and have found it only works mobile to mobile. Will not work mobile to computer right now.

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about google talk if so I haven't tried it. Nit for sure if it is ready yet I think it might be coming in honeycomb

For yahoo you need to download the video plugin from the market. There is a button that allows you to switch the camera from the back to the front