Poor performance on games like Clash of Clans?

Sliver22

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
submitted 3 days ago * by sliver22

Just got a new Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch for Christmas, right out of the box I am having performance issues with a few games..

Primarily games like Clash of Clans & Boom Beach. On the tablet they just do not run smooth. I will move around the screen and it just seems like there is a slight delay for everything I do, unlike the snappy instant response it has on my other devices.

As for troubleshooting... I have deleted and reinstalled the games, made sure RAM was clear and no other apps were running, cleared cache and files of the games, factory reset my tablet, disconnected other devices from my WiFi network (though I don't think WiFi is the issue because my phone works perfectly on WiFi, and Netflix works great on the tablet.

TLDR.... Is anyone else having issues with Clash of Clans on the Galaxy Tab 4? The performance is so choppy that it just isn't fun to play.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You're probably pushing that 1.2GHz CPU with 1.5GB of RAM just a bit hard. A 1.5GHz CPU and 2GB of RAM would probably have little enough lag that you wouldn't notice. (All programs, running on any computer, have lag, but there's a difference between a nanosecond and half a second.) (And the game engines are probably written to run on a single core, so your quad core CPU doesn't add any performance that you wouldn't get from a 1.2GHz single core.)

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
It is an issue with the Marvell GPU that comes with the 7 inch Tab 4. It doesn't handle massive 3d graphics too well. There might be some tweaks that can be done if a Tab 4 is rooted, but I don't want to risk bricking mine.

It's hit or miss as far as 3d games. For instance, Republique works surprisingly well considering the high quality of the game. Its devs probably figured out how to make it run well on lower end droids. OTOH a game like Looney Tunes Dash!, with simpler graphics, runs slower than Republique. The game audio is off sync in some cinematic parts of the game. But I've kept it on as it's not too bad for my tastes on the tablet. Love Bugs Bunny! LTD runs better on my LG Optimus F3, an older dual core CPU phone running Jelly Bean 4.1.2, and my newer LG Tribute on 4.4.2 (same as the tab 4). The Adreno GPUs on those phones are much better.

The tab 4 works well with HD video (720p), and Flash video.