Anyone returning their Gear 2?

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming there will be quite a few people returning their Gear 2 before the return period is up thus flooding the market with refurbished units soon. I feel duped by the way Samsung marketed their Gear 2 with a ton of apps including the following -

Flashlight
Quick Settings
Banjo
BMW
CNN
Conde Nast
Expedia
eBay
Evernote
Feedly
GARMIN
Glympse
GM (Onstar 4GLTE)
iControl
Line
Path
Paypal
RUNTASTIC
Volkswagen
The Weather Channel
Under Armour (MapMyFitness)

The only app worth anything was the $1.00 calculator under Finance. The other ~5 apps available (not included on the aforementioned list) are utter garbage and no I don't care to change my watch face.

I'm also disappointed by the HRM. It basically doesn't work. At all. Its accuracy is about +/- 50 BPM when performing any kind of exercise. The HRM data this watch produces is at best useless and at worst misleading and possibly harmful.

Then there is the pedometer which I have found to be less accurate than the one on my Note 3.

I bought the Gear 2 for the highly advertised health tracking features and so far they are worthless. I've had the device for two weeks now... with another 16 days left on the return policy. Any chance Samsung/Tizen makes good on their promise and provides us apps they touted from day one? And perhaps fix the broken HRM? I feel duped out of $300. Anyone in the same boat as me?

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry u don'.t like the watch, but I want one for totally different reasons that those that you mentioned, and those features should work a whole lot better than the fitness stuff which has been universally panned. didn't you read any reviews first?

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry u don'.t like the watch, but I want one for totally different reasons that those that you mentioned, and those features should work a whole lot better than the fitness stuff which has been universally panned. didn't you read any reviews first?

Yes, I did read the reviews - all of them. Not one of them stated that the apps Samsung touted were not going to be available even two weeks after the Gear 2 shipped. Furthermore, the reviews also didn't state that the HRM accuracy was basically worse than throwing a dart at a dartboard. The HRM is a useful tool for people that want to live a healthier lifestyle and track their calorie expenditures more accurately. You may not know this but there are people that spend $300-$600 on health tracking devices. The Mio Alpha alone costs $200 and all it does it track your heart rate - it literally does nothing else. Samsung promised a health tracking device and so far this thing is no better at tracking my activity/health than my phone.

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I did read the reviews - all of them. Not one of them stated that the apps Samsung touted were not going to be available even two weeks after the Gear 2 shipped. Furthermore, the reviews also didn't state that the HRM accuracy was basically worse than throwing a dart at a dartboard. The HRM is a useful tool for people that want to live a healthier lifestyle and track their calorie expenditures more accurately. You may not know this but there are people that spend $300-$600 on health tracking devices. The Mio Alpha alone costs $200 and all it does it track your heart rate - it literally does nothing else. Samsung promised a health tracking device and so far this thing is no better at tracking my activity/health than my phone.

pj737, every thread you have started and every post you have written has been negative. You have had zero positive comments and you have done plenty to convince everyone you regret your purchase. If you are so upset, remorseful and impatient, please just return your device and buy something better. That said, I don't think you will find a single device to do everything what you want with zero flaws. We all admit the Gear 2 is imperfect. It's been on the market a week.

From my heart, please know your anger is not helpful. At least not to me.

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I apologize. I wasn't aware that there was a positive to negative post ratio requirement here on androidcentral. Maybe something changed over the years but last checked most people come here either 1) seeking solutions/fixes to their problems or 2) venting their frustration after spending good money on a device produced by a mfg that overpromised and under delivered. I'm doing a little bit of both. If it makes you happy I will admit the watch is comfortable and has a great battery run time. I hope that helps my ratio a bit.

U4icLab

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm assuming there will be quite a few people returning their Gear 2 before the return period is up thus flooding the market with refurbished units soon. I feel duped by the way Samsung marketed their Gear 2 with a ton of apps including the following -

Calculator
Flashlight
Quick Settings
Voice Memo
Banjo
BMW
CNN
Conde Nast
Expedia
eBay
Evernote
Feedly
GARMIN
Glympse
GM (Onstar 4GLTE)
iControl
Line
Path
Paypal
RUNTASTIC
Volkswagen
The Weather Channel

The only app worth anything was the $1.00 calculator under Finance. The other ~5 apps available (not included on the aforementioned list) are utter garbage and no I don't care to change my watch face.

I'm also disappointed by the HRM. It basically doesn't work. At all. It's accuracy is about +/- 50 BPM when performing any kind of exercise. The HRM data this watch produces is completely useless.

Then there is the pedometer which I have found to be less accurate than the one on my Note 3.

I bought the Gear 2 for the highly advertised health tracking features and so far they are worthless. I've had the device for two weeks now... with another 16 days left on the return policy. Any chance Samsung/Tizen makes good on their promise and provides us apps they touted from day one? And perhaps fix the broken HRM? I feel duped out of $300. Anyone in the same boat as me?

I'm with you 100%. Tomorrow is my last day to return the watch and S5. The combination advertised fitness tools and apps is what led me to give Samsung/Android a shot after being an Apple guy for so long. Now, I'm not so sure. On the fence with it all...

Posted via Android Central App

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
seriously, I can't believe anyone who posts to a forum about tech gear wouldn't have ALREADY known that the watch is a lousy HRM, pedometer and the s/w is still in it's infancy. return it and find something else or wait til the kinks are ironed our, or wait for the Gear 3 or some other smart watch coming out this year with perhaps the Google Android Wear OS.

When I got rid of my Blackberry, I moved on to a Bionic forum. When I ditched that POS, I moved to the Note 2 forum and remain there for the near future. cheers!

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
seriously, I can't believe anyone who posts to a forum about tech gear wouldn't have ALREADY known that the watch is a lousy HRM, pedometer and the s/w is still in it's infancy. return it and find something else or wait til the kinks are ironed our, or wait for the Gear 3 or some other smart watch coming out this year with perhaps the Google Android Wear OS.

When I got rid of my Blackberry, I moved on to a Bionic forum. When I ditched that POS, I moved to the Note 2 forum and remain there for the near future. cheers!

Already known that the HRM and pedometer is lousy huh? I guess that means every single person that bought the Gear Fit is completely clueless. LOL.

I'm surprised that you have such extremely low expectations... I for one expect more out of a $300 device that was marketed heavily for the health tracking features and inclusive apps (to help quell fear that Tizen would have zero market share and thus provide no developer interest/support for the device).

I'm going to hold out til day 30 of my return policy and hope Samsung makes good on their promise and fixes their broken health tracking features. So yes, if nothing changes it's definitely going back.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Flashlight
Quick Settings
Banjo
BMW
CNN
Conde Nast
Expedia
eBay
Evernote
Feedly
GARMIN
Glympse
GM (Onstar 4GLTE)
iControl
Line
Path
Paypal
RUNTASTIC
Volkswagen
The Weather Channel

I'm also disappointed by the HRM. It basically doesn't work. At all. Its accuracy is about +/- 50 BPM when performing any kind of exercise. The HRM data this watch produces is at best useless and at worst misleading and possibly harmful.

Not sure how anyone could think there'd be a flashlight on this device... and I'm starting to agree that every post I've seen of yours has been negative. Take it back. Plain and simple... if you have a HRM strap, continue to use it - I don't care to sweat all over my $300 watch, nor do I care to ding it up by hitting it on a machine... I have a system for working out, but it doesn't include wearing this device. Going for a walk is a different story, and counting my daily steps - it's been accurate. You could also wait and see if there's an app that will actually allow the unit to detect your heart rate strap and give you the accuracy you're looking for.

cachun402

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Flashlight
Quick Settings
Banjo
BMW
CNN
Conde Nast
Expedia
eBay
Evernote
Feedly
GARMIN
Glympse
GM (Onstar 4GLTE)
iControl
Line
Path
Paypal
RUNTASTIC
Volkswagen
The Weather Channel

Idk bout you but it work perfectly fine to me pedometer and HRM. Even music on it best thing it has. Only I mean only minor flaw is I wish I could still control the music playing from my phone but thats about it. It does everything I need it to do. #returnitifyoudontlikeanddontcomplain

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Already known that the HRM and pedometer is lousy huh? I guess that means every single person that bought the Gear Fit is completely clueless. LOL.

I'm surprised that you have such extremely low expectations... I for one expect more out of a $300 device that was marketed heavily for the health tracking features and inclusive apps (to help quell fear that Tizen would have zero market share and thus provide no developer interest/support for the device).

I'm going to hold out til day 30 of my return policy and hope Samsung makes good on their promise and fixes their broken health tracking features. So yes, if nothing changes it's definitely going back.

expectations had been dashed the moment I read the reviews, BUT I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE FITNESS PORTION OF THE WATCH!!! Get it? I want the watch for other purposes. YOU should have been on notice that the HRM and pedo SUCK, had you done the least amount of reading of reviews prior to purchase.

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how anyone could think there'd be a flashlight on this device... and I'm starting to agree that every post I've seen of yours has been negative. Take it back. Plain and simple... if you have a HRM strap, continue to use it - I don't care to sweat all over my $300 watch, nor do I care to ding it up by hitting it on a machine... I have a system for working out, but it doesn't include wearing this device. Going for a walk is a different story, and counting my daily steps - it's been accurate. You could also wait and see if there's an app that will actually allow the unit to detect your heart rate strap and give you the accuracy you're looking for.

A flashlight app would actually be very handy for a lot of people... if you lit up every single pixel on full bright on the Gear 2 I'm sure it would come in handy for those times you lost something in a very dark place... or in an emergency. Of course you have your phone but the point is it's a backup device in case you don't have your phone. Convenience and safety my friend. You're clearly avoiding the reality here... that Samsung promised a slew of apps that are still not yet available for a device we paid good money for. What good is the watch if it doesn't have apps to take advantage of its hardware? How can anyone be satisfied with the app offering we have? Seriously?

Sorry but some people do care to sweat all over their watches especially when Samsung based and heavily advertised their new smartwatches on living healthy lifestyles not geeking it out at a Star Trek convention.

From the posts I've been reading on Android Central it's clear there is a tremendous amount of hatred towards people that aren't happy with the products they buy. What gives? What's with the complacency guys? And why knock on people when they aren't happy when things are clearly broken. It's "whiners" like me that affect change... it's why the likes of Samsung, Apple, Google etc actually improve their products. It feeds innovation. "Then just send it back and shut up"... that's all you guys have to say. And I'm sure some of you will say just beat it and get off our forums Mr Negativity... I'm not going anywhere :) and will continue to complain and hope that the word gets out that there are unhappy customers out there. Happy posting!!!

Last edited:

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
For the record, I said I DON?T care to sweat all over my watch so I am not even sure I will wear it when working out which means the HRM doesn't matter that much to me. Oh, and I bought it not knowing anything other than it would give me notifications without having to pull my phone out.. I wasn't counting on anything, and I do know that devs are constantly on top of the latest so I wasn't and am not too worried about it... You're a beta tester, essentially... When you use a new device. It is what it is. Buy one, use it, sell it when it's time for the new one :)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I totally understand and respect where pj737 is coming from, but I think some patience would help. When I bought the original GG, there were many bugs, but updates slowly poured in. I would think Samsung will eventually release the missing apps. For now though, I am pretty much content with the stuff I can do out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with all that it does for me. The health items wasn't my reason for purchase, just a bonus perk to the watch , if you ask me. I'm keeping it. Cheers. ... Since getting the watch, it's given me more battery life remaining on my phone now. From the time it [ my Galaxy Note 2] comes off charge till I go to bed by 1 or 2am, I still have over 49% left and the watch only uses between 10 to 12% battery each day since I turned off my motion sensor and went to button on feature. I'll wait till the market gets more apps. .. It's still in its infancy stages anyway.

godsidekurt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After deciding a couple of days ago that I would be keeping it I just dropped it off at UPS to be returned to Amazon. This afternoon I got the Verizon update for my S4...was super excited to download it especially for the bluetooth low energy...however right from the start I was faced with yet another round of bugs. I wave the white flag, it shouldnt be this challenging to get a watch to work without major bugs on my phone.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm assuming there will be quite a few people returning their Gear 2 before the return period is up thus flooding the market with refurbished units soon. I feel duped by the way Samsung marketed their Gear 2 with a ton of apps including the following - FlashlightQuick SettingsBanjoBMWCNNConde NastExpediaeBayEvernoteFeedlyGARMINGlympseGM (Onstar 4GLTE)iControlLinePathPaypalRUNTASTICVolkswagenThe Weather ChannelUnder Armour (MapMyFitness)The only app worth anything was the $1.00 calculator under Finance. The other ~5 apps available (not included on the aforementioned list) are utter garbage and no I don't care to change my watch face. I'm also disappointed by the HRM. It basically doesn't work. At all. Its accuracy is about +/- 50 BPM when performing any kind of exercise. The HRM data this watch produces is at best useless and at worst misleading and possibly harmful. Then there is the pedometer which I have found to be less accurate than the one on my Note 3. I bought the Gear 2 for the highly advertised health tracking features and so far they are worthless. I've had the device for two weeks now... with another 16 days left on the return policy. Any chance Samsung/Tizen makes good on their promise and provides us apps they touted from day one? And perhaps fix the broken HRM? I feel duped out of $300. Anyone in the same boat as me?
Nope. Sorry man but I'm not buying it. I didn't realize that Evernote wouldn't be on there because it was on the first one, however I DID know that it was a different OS so I could have assumed things would be different and looked into it further which I chose not to do. That's on me but it isn't the main reason I got it anyway. I had the first one and really loved what it gave me (apps aside). My main reason for using this watch is for all the things it does all on its own before you even add an app. So, in answer to your question, NO, I am definitely not returning this Gear 2 as I love it. For what it's worth, I use a Note 3 and that may make a difference in how it performs.