GPS No Workie Without Gear S Data Plan (without a phone connection)

winpeguy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok, maybe not. Since it has Glonass maybe it works. If you have a Gear S does GPS work standalone without Data?

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Common misunderstanding about A-GPS. You want A-GPS so that it can get satellite lock quickly (within 10 seconds instead of 5 minutes) if your Gear S has its own data connection. A-GPS doesn't mean it is not using GPS satellites at all.

winpeguy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Common misunderstanding about A-GPS. You want A-GPS so that it can get satellite lock quickly (within 10 seconds instead of 5 minutes) if your Gear S has its own data connection. A-GPS doesn't mean it is not using GPS satellites at all.

Thanks for the clarification

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had to be outside to get a lock on gps

That's true for all GPS devices in general. Some may have better GPS antenna than others. But a good GPS antenna is bigger than the watch. So something gotta give.

The biggest problem with GPS on Gear S is the Here Map won't start navigating if you don't have the phone tethered with BT. If I have the phone with me, why would I use the watch for navigation in the first place.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That's true for all GPS devices in general. Some may have better GPS antenna than others. But a good GPS antenna is bigger than the watch. So something gotta give.

The biggest problem with GPS on Gear S is the Here Map won't start navigating if you don't have the phone tethered with BT. If I have the phone with me, why would I use the watch for navigation in the first place.

It works fine with out it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez