Why use WIFI? Benefits?

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Why and when would a Gear S benefit from using WIFI?

Should I leave WIFI on? If I leave my watch at home, when I leave will it automatically connect to WIFI vs network (therefore saving battery?)

I'm a bit confused on this part...

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Right now, there is a bug in Gear S that prevents it reliably connect remotely to the phone if you leave wifi on. So, I turn it off.

syrguy1969

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Right now, there is a bug in Gear S that prevents it reliably connect remotely to the phone if you leave wifi on. So, I turn it off.

Really? I haven't noticed this at all, when does this happen to you (or in general if it hasn't happened to you specifically lol) and what are the side-effects of this glitch?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Really? I haven't noticed this at all, when does this happen to you (or in general if it hasn't happened to you specifically lol) and what are the side-effects of this glitch?

When you are away from your phone, the watch tries to connect remotely to the phone. This will fail often if you have wifi on unless you are on the same wifi network as the phone, even though 3G mobile data is working. After I turn off the wifi on my watch, it connects reliably everytime.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
When you are away from your phone, the watch tries to connect remotely to the phone. This will fail often if you have wifi on unless you are on the same wifi network as the phone, even though 3G mobile data is working. After I turn off the wifi on my watch, it connects reliably everytime.

Same with me, but my issue happens when my phone is on wifi. When it's off its flawless

Posted via the Android Central App

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I leave the WIFI off. I'm not worried about blowing through my 500mb of data (t-mobile) on the watch.

Well, I guess that was my point... I'm not sure why I would ever turn on the WIFI. If I'm doing ANYTHING data intensive, it would be from my phone. The other day I was in the grocery store and "googled" something from the watch... It was cool, but still wouldn't take the time to save a tiny bite of data using WIFI.

So, other that someone wanting to save a tiny piece of data, WIFI on the watch is rarely used.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
To download offline maps on your watch requires wifi. Otherwise, it is not needed. But if you are away from your phone for a longtime and in a location with consistent wifi connection but weak cell signal, wifi might be a better choice.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Certain apps like Here require wifi for data download.

Just for the initial download, but not for operation; right? I think you can connect to a PC via USb and download that way too (Having the user manual printed by a Kinko's so I can read through it like a book and use as a reference manual - old school!)

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Just for the initial download, but not for operation; right? I think you can connect to a PC via USb and download that way too (Having the user manual printed by a Kinko's so I can read through it like a book and use as a reference manual - old school!)

Correct