My journey to the Gear S... and kicking myself for not doing it sooner

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have been in and out of these forums for years and have always been one that needed the latest and greatest, regardless of the cost.

Lately, I have been holding back and just going with what I want that has what I need with a little bit of cool thrown in.

I have been an Android user since the G1 days. I have always upgraded to the latest device when it came out. Rooted, custom ROM and the whole nine yards. Since those days, I have slowed down a LOT and just enjoyed what I have and not muck around too much. When I started working at Microsoft, not too long after, they released Windows Phone 8 and the Lumia 920. I jumped ship and didn't look back for a long time.

Microsoft Band comes out and I finally step into the Fitness/Smart Watch arena and REALLY enjoyed it.

Late last year, my poor Lumia 1520 took on a wall and tile floor, with fatal results. I went with a Note Edge rather than take something temporary until the 950 came out.

I decided to keep the Band and see how things went. Thankfully, I bought the 2 year replacement plan from Best Buy. My band would no longer charge, so I went to swap it out. Much to my dismay, no more bands in stock.

I looked into the Gear S then, but the price was a bit out there and I didn't want to go back on contract, so I went with the Gear 2 Neo.

LOVED IT. Did more than I thought a smart watch was capable and I found that I really needed it like my cell phone. Hard to imagine now not being with one.

Alas, yesterday, my poor Neo decided it didn't want a relationship with my phone and would no longer talk to it (BT would not stay connected). I tried to be the marriage counselor, but it was just not going to work out.

So Off to Best Buy I went, Watch, Box and everything else I had for it.

I went in expecting a quick replacement, but found that the local Best Buy not only didn't stock it anymore, but I would have to drive almost 100 miles to get one from another store.

So I had them put my money onto a gift card and off looking I went.

I drooled over the Gear S and the Gear S2, but something about the S2 just lacked for me in comparison to the Gear S. So I grabbed the Gear S and made my way to the checkout.

With the credit from my Neo + Plan and purchase of a Gear S + Plan, I walked out with less than $30 our of pocket.

Now, man, I wish I would have just gone with the Gear S to begin with. This is SUCH a better device than the Neo. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Neo and am glad I had it, but in total functionality and usage, the S is just the better device without a doubt.

Ok all, I am done just rambling, but I have to say that I am completely thrilled with this device and find that it's going to be tough to beat this one out, at least, for me. :D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice to hear you're enjoying it! Can you tell us a few examples of why you like the Gear S more than the Neo?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Nice to hear you're enjoying it! Can you tell us a few examples of why you like the Gear S more than the Neo?

Here are a few reasons off the top of my head that I have noticed so far:

• I can respond to text messages without Flesky (Native Function)
  • I can respond to Facebook Messenger messages from the watch
  • Swype style keyboard
  • More screen realestate to read emails and messages
  • Easier to navigate app drawer
  • Custom Ringtone Support
  • Ability to use the watch as a standalone mobile phone

Here are a few things I miss about the Neo that the Gear S does not have:

• IR sensor - I loved using my watch to control the TV when I could not find the remote (damn kids)
  • Standard "Off the Self" watch bands
  • Battery Life (I could normally get 3 days on a single charge)

I am sure I can come up with more as time goes on, but for having the device for just over 24 hours, this is what I can come up with. :)

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Here are a few reasons off the top of my head that I have noticed so far:

• I can respond to text messages without Flesky (Native Function)
  • I can respond to Facebook Messenger messages from the watch
  • Swype style keyboard
  • More screen realestate to read emails and messages
  • Easier to navigate app drawer
  • Custom Ringtone Support
  • Ability to use the watch as a standalone mobile phone

Here are a few things I miss about the Neo that the Gear S does not have:

• IR sensor - I loved using my watch to control the TV when I could not find the remote (damn kids)
  • Standard "Off the Self" watch bands
  • Battery Life (I could normally get 3 days on a single charge)

I am sure I can come up with more as time goes on, but for having the device for just over 24 hours, this is what I can come up with. :)
I normally charge my S every 3 days, 4 days if I don't remotely connect it during that time. You might find some battery saving tips on this forum that'll help get the same.
Thanks for posting this. I initially went to buy a Neo but everyone was sold out locally and AT&T price matched a Gear S for the same price as a Neo. I think I'd have been just fine with a Neo, never knowing how much more I like the S but my watch is getting used more than my phone now between phone calls and pda like functionality. The phone butler functions of notifications and dismissals is my least used thing about my og Gear S. Notes, both vocal and swiped to go with the calculator, music player, calendar, timers, Bible, unit conversions, and stuff like that are what I use at least hourly every day. I used Opera last night to get a score update of the NFL playoffs but i don't use the browser much anymore other than basic stuff like that. I don't answer my phone anymore, just the watch instead and initiate most calls from the watch also, phone connected or not.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am finding that I am using my Gear S for a lot more than I did the Neo. On that point as well, I am using my phone less, and this is just over the last few days!

I have a pair of LG Infinim BT Headset and have them paired to my phone and watch. I have installed Audiobuk on the watch and loaded it with a few books and use it for listening rather then my phone (I sometimes walk away from my phone when I am listening (especially at work)). Connectivity, overall, is better than with the phone because for some reason, all of my jeans seems to have lead lining in them which can make things somewhat choppy (does not happen a lot, but it is annoying). The fact that the line from my headset and watch is rarely ever blocked helps as well.

I have not installed Opera on my watch. I am still unsure if I can handle an actual browser on a small screen, but I will probably bite the bullet and install it for quickie information gathering. I just wish I could get Cortana integration with the watch. :D

Funny story though, I used a SIM card from an unused line on my account and put it in the Gear S. Even with a new number. Now, when it is connected to the phone via BT, the cellular voice/data are turned off, so anyone calling that line will not get through.

I, as per usual, walked away from my phone and BT connectivity was lost. My wrist started to ring a minute or so later and I was searching frantically for my phone. Of course, I could not find it. So I answered on the phone and it was a collection agency looking for, presumably, the former owner of this number. I told them that the person they were looking for does not have this number anymore. So we hung up. IN the time that it took me to get back to my phone, this person called 3 more times. Once I was connected to my phone again, the calls stopped. SO THERE!! :p

Now to see if they are going to keep calling back if I walk out of range again. :D

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
That connectivity and the CA call was crazy. This was fun to read. I'll post my own story in a new thread. Looking forward to talking to those who are still holding on this almost 2 years old device and the new owners too.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Just a small update from last week from the Collections Call.

They called me again while I was in the garage doing some work on my truck. The phone was upstairs and wasn't connected.

I took the call and it was the same agency. I informed them that if they continue to call, I will slap them with a harassment suit since I am NOT the person they were trying to reach and that I have told them this over and over again.

They shot back with the fact that I had not proved I was not this person. I told them to hold on. I switched lines and called AT&T customer service. I clicked them back over and got into my account. I got a representative on the phone, verified my ID with them and she kindly stated to the agency that I am who I said I was and that AT&T will be forwarding the information from this call to their legal department to ensure that they don't call me again.

Even though some people HATE AT&T for their customer service, but I have NEVER had an issue with them and I have been with them since 2003. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana