Who here is keeping their Gear S2?

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I was just curious how many people here are keeping their watch vs how many are disappointed and returning it. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to take it back. I was hoping that it would be a nice alternative to AW but for me it just doesn't do enough to convince me that the $300+ dollars is worth it over my original Zenwatch that costs half as much. I'll give it that it looks better but for my use case it doesn't do anything well enough to convince me to go without the apps that I like to use that AW supports. Its a good watch just not for me, how about the rest of you?

winpeguy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am keeping mine for now. I really wanted the classic, but the more I use the Sport, the more I think this will work for me. All things equal (cost), I would pick this over AW, but I will say AW is making some great advances, there just hasn't been the killer AW watch to end all.

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm keeping it. So far it does everything that I need in a smartwatch, and is pretty discreet (another bonus). If Tizen doesn't make rapid advances, then I might ditch it next time I am in the market for a smartwatch, but for now I really am enjoying this more than any other wearable I've owned previously.

L_E_O

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Mine is going back, and I feel similarly as to why. It has some nice stuff going, but most of it is just "different" as opposed to "better". It just doesn't do enough to make me change ecosystems or reinvest into Samsung's. It's definitely not a Wear killer, and for $300 - $350, it needs to be if it's going to knock out the incumbent.

By the way, I think that's the biggest thing my first experience with Tizen had taught me. Samsung is in this weird space where they clearly rely on Android and it's openness for somethings, but they try to carve out their own little Sammy world within it. I think the result is this mish-mash of stuff that works (S Voice), but not as well as it could, and other stuff that feels siloed because they decided they don't want to share (S Health). I'm just not sure that mixed strategy is going to work for wearables.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Buji

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm in the same boat, going back after the weekend trial. I might as well get a 99$ gear fit

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I think I'm going to return mine as well, which I kind of hate to admit to myself. I really like it, but I wanted to love it.

I like the rotating bezel a lot, I LOVE the screen, it looks amazing and the resolution is great. Plus the overall interface is really cool, very fluid and smooth. But as somebody said earlier, it's mostly just different, not really better. The interface certainly looks better compared to the anti-interface of AW. The problem is that the core functions that I use my smartwatches for are way too cumbersome to use. Voice recognition is pretty terrible compared to Google, when it does recognize it correctly, I usually get a "refer to phone" or "let me look that up on the web" message which does nothing. Texting via voice still requires several touches of the watch face, unless I'm doing something wrong, which to me completely defeats the point. With AW I can say "Text Bob I'm running late", and done. Nothing else to say or touch.

Notifications are pretty good, I like the way they are laid out and how they look, but I miss them a lot, don't know if it's just not vibrating or what. And from the home/watch screen, you can't really tell if you have missed notifications or not, depending on your watch face of course. Don't even get me started on how terrible the maps function is!

So at the end of the day, I do like it, but I'm not going to sit down and read CNN on my 1.2" watch screen, and I can't easily text... But damn the battery life is good!

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm going to return mine as well, which I kind of hate to admit to myself. I really like it, but I wanted to love it.

I like the rotating bezel a lot, I LOVE the screen, it looks amazing and the resolution is great. Plus the overall interface is really cool, very fluid and smooth. But as somebody said earlier, it's mostly just different, not really better. The interface certainly looks better compared to the anti-interface of AW. The problem is that the core functions that I use my smartwatches for are way too cumbersome to use. Voice recognition is pretty terrible compared to Google, when it does recognize it correctly, I usually get a "refer to phone" or "let me look that up on the web" message which does nothing. Texting via voice still requires several touches of the watch face, unless I'm doing something wrong, which to me completely defeats the point. With AW I can say "Text Bob I'm running late", and done. Nothing else to say or touch.

Notifications are pretty good, I like the way they are laid out and how they look, but I miss them a lot, don't know if it's just not vibrating or what. And from the home/watch screen, you can't really tell if you have missed notifications or not, depending on your watch face of course. Don't even get me started on how terrible the maps function is!

So at the end of the day, I do like it, but I'm not going to sit down and read CNN on my 1.2" watch screen, and I can't easily text... But damn the battery life is good!
completely agree that notifications need to be more prominent on watch face, and in particular ambient face. Just did a test and I was able to create and send a text message from watch face by starting listening mode (changed mine to "Ok, Google") and saying "text Mike, blah blah blah". Thanks for making me check that out!

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
completely agree that notifications need to be more prominent on watch face, and in particular ambient face. Just did a test and I was able to create and send a text message from watch face by starting listening mode (changed mine to "Ok, Google") and saying "text Mike, blah blah blah". Thanks for making me check that out!

That's really funny! I changed mine to Ok, Google too! I have a Moto as well and it just seemed easier to have both watches and my phone use the same phrase...

So sending a text worked without having to press any buttons from the watch screen using only voice? Hmmm, I must not have done that, I'll give it a try! But that's still curious, when I hit reply to a text in my notifications, you get the options for voice, emoji, or keyboard, and if you use voice, it seems you have to hit the little send icon.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
That's really funny! I changed mine to Ok, Google too! I have a Moto as well and it just seemed easier to have both watches and my phone use the same phrase...

So sending a text worked without having to press any buttons from the watch screen using only voice? Hmmm, I must not have done that, I'll give it a try! But that's still curious, when I hit reply to a text in my notifications, you get the options for voice, emoji, or keyboard, and if you use voice, it seems you have to hit the little send icon.
just tested it again. I say ok, Google on watch face. Microphone comes up. I speak text x, blah blah,. It shows me, luckily, correct person and correct text verbiage. And I do have to answer cancel or ok. You can hit ok, or say it. In my case I prefer the confirmation, as many times AW was sending crap before I could cancel it sending.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
just tested it again. I say ok, Google on watch face. Microphone comes up. I speak text x, blah blah,. It shows me, luckily, correct person and correct text verbiage. And I do have to answer cancel or ok. You can hit ok, or say it. In my case I prefer the confirmation, as many times AW was sending crap before I could cancel it sending.

Very cool, I'll have to do some testing. That's about how I expected it to work for texting. Thanks for the info!

I do agree with the AW sending crap before you catch it, luckily they've added the delay where you can cancel before it sends...

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For me, I'm keeping my Gear S2. I really like it and for me, it does everything I could do on my Moto 360 (Gen1). The only thing I really hope for, is some sort of Google Now integration, aka tapping an icon and asking Google a question. Outside of that, I know more well developed watch faces and apps will come sooner rather than later. It will just need a little time behind it...which will happen I'm sure.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
And back on topic, too soon to say for me if keeping or not. There are a few things that could be better software wise. I like it's relatively small size. And wasn't looking for an elegant watch, mainly a more inconspicuous one, and this is that. If I was looking for a good looking watch, I don't think the Classic met that goal for me. The Huawei probably does. And to go even further, I might actually return the dark gray s2, and wait for the 3g version. Only concern with that one is that it will be 13.4mm thick instead of 11.4, and that may be just too thick, but would need to see it in person. Also wondering if antenna will be in strap like the new LG LTE.

So in summary, might keep it, might not. Might get 3g version, might not.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Mine just went back. As someone else said, I liked it but I needed to love it. Really liked the OS performance and the rotating, and the battery life was amazing. However, S Voice is just not quite there and while Google app notifications come through, not all cards are shown as AW. However, fitness tracking was good on this.

Just got the 360 V2 and I find myself missing the bezel and how clear that screen was. I did enjoy the sporty and geeky look of the device but I don't feel it's worth $300. Had the price been lower, I would've kept it.

All I'm looking for is an OK fitness tracker with smartwatch functionality but been struggling with AW and while fitness and battery life was way better on the S2, that wasn't enough to justify the price and the other headaches from that device.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually considering the second gen moto 360 myself since it solves the one problem I have with the Zenwatch which is the lack of ambient light sensor. Other than that I don't understand why all the other AW watches cost so much. I mean they all have the same internals so besides the 360 I would be paying double the price of the Zenwatch for fashion. I didn't mention the heart rate sensor as a factor since most reviews state that none of the smart watches are anywhere as good as a dedicated device which costs much less.

schwartzki

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
MIne will likely go back as well. The S Voice for me flat out doesnt work for the things I want it to. I love the size, love the UI and screen. However there are some serious software shortcoming on a device I am not thrilled with the look of. Knowing how Samsung is with there phones it will take 3-6 months before any of these issues are resolved and I really don't want to wait. I will likely take it back this week and get the Huawei, 2nd gen 360 or LG Watch Urbane.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually considering the second gen moto 360 myself since it solves the one problem I have with the Zenwatch which is the lack of ambient light sensor. Other than that I don't understand why all the other AW watches cost so much. I mean they all have the same internals so besides the 360 I would be paying double the price of the Zenwatch for fashion. I didn't mention the heart rate sensor as a factor since most reviews state that none of the smart watches are anywhere as good as a dedicated device which costs much less.

Well, I got the Moto 360 2 the same day as the Gear S2, and my advice is to do it! The Moto is gorgeous! The fit and finish is so much better than the first round. Not to mention it's better in pretty much every way. The screen is better, the battery is better, the processor is better which definitely shows itself when using the watch. Animations are much smoother and quicker to move through menus. The Gear S2 and Moto are very different watches, and I was really hoping they the two could live side by side on my nightstand, but the S2 has some fundamental flaws that won't work for me.

madgalaxy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Good feedback here. I do not have one, but will pick the classic up when available. S-Voice has been terrible on all Samsung watches and galaxy phones, so I am not expecting any improvements with the S2. For those getting the Moto 360 2nd gen - the vibrate is terrible! I had the 42mm black with link band and vibrations are worse then any AW watch I have ever had.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Mines got to go back. I love the look and feel. And the dial thing. I even like having a way to input by keyboard, even though its not really easy. But I can't do anything with the voice input. It reminds me of S Voice from 3 years ago. Just not even usable. Just ruins the whole thing.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I am so undecided.. I like so much about the watch but I am very concerned about the lack of Watch faces, S Voice is terrible, and will app developers support it.

I am coming from the original 360 and I also had the apple watch for a while before coming back to android.

A couple more days will tell

Posted via the Android Central App

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Well, I got the Moto 360 2 the same day as the Gear S2, and my advice is to do it! The Moto is gorgeous! The fit and finish is so much better than the first round. Not to mention it's better in pretty much every way. The screen is better, the battery is better, the processor is better which definitely shows itself when using the watch. Animations are much smoother and quicker to move through menus. The Gear S2 and Moto are very different watches, and I was really hoping they the two could live side by side on my nightstand, but the S2 has some fundamental flaws that won't work for me.
Just curious, how's your 360 performing? I exchanged my S2 for the 46mm 360 and I'm finding it lags very often which is annoying, especially after such smooth experience with the S2. Also, I find the wake up gesture not working as good as I'd expect, meaning sometimes I have to do a rough flick just to wake the screen. At this point, I'm just wondering if I have a bad unit.

One thing I really liked on the S2 that AW doesn't have is that the watch went to sleep as soon as I put my wrist down where with AW I have to wait for the timeout.

I think Samsung needs to learn a few things from AW and Google needs to learn a few from Samsung.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87