Is the 3G model capable of being used in a shower or bath?

icecreamw

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I saw the video on youtube where the guy kept the non-3G in a fish tank for 30 minutes. Curious if the 3G model with the speaker vents would not survive the submersion ?

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: 3G is IP68...

They're generally IP67 these days (verify before taking my word for it), which means they can theoretically be submerged in 1m of water for half an hour, but that doesn't mean I'd do it willingly. Also water droplets tend to mess with the tough screen and register phantom taps. Finally, when water gets in the speaker area (which is sealed) it generally makes the tiny speaker impossible to hear until it dries out, at least with earlier models.

TL;DR: while it may be designed to withstand that environment, it's not "ideal operating conditions" and probably not a good idea long-term.

Last edited:

icecreamw

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
They're generally IP67 these days (verify before taking my word for it), which means they can theoretically be submerged in 1m of water for half an hour, but that doesn't mean I'd do it willingly. Also water droplets tend to mess with the tough screen and register phantom taps. Finally, when water gets in the speaker area (which is sealed) it generally makes the tiny speaker impossible to hear until it dries out, at least with earlier models.

TL;DR: while it may be designed to withstand that environment, it's not "ideal operating conditions" and probably not a good idea long-term.

guess I'll be taking it off in the shower lol. I am taking it running in the morning. If it's raining and it get's damaged I'll report back.

Ittlebit

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I won't be taking any chances, it's to nice of a watch to subject it to water pressure. Also I have hard well water and I know what that does to appliances, I wouldn't want that drying in the rim area or speakers. It's just not worth it to me. I have a Pebble and swam with it all summer long, I will continue to use that as my water sport watch.

Posted via the Android Central App

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The S2/S2 3g is IP68.
You're right. I read 67 somewhere, on an uninformed Web site. That said, my last watch repair shop said hot soapy shower water is harsher than cold water so I still wouldn't wear mine in the shower, and there's a YouTube video of what happens when watch speakers get wet. Someone with the 3g take it in the shower and let us know how it works! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89