Converting from Apple watch - any other converts? How do you like it?

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I am contemplating returning back from IOS to the Android. Before my Apple Watch, I had the Gear series to include the Gear S as well as the Moto X and Urbane. I was not a huge fan of the Android Wear because they did not fit correctly on my wrist and just did not look right.

Along comes the S2 with the watchfaces and what seems to better styling. I left the Android world 18 months ago to go with the iPhone 6 plus after trying the Apple watch on in the Apple Store and just falling in love with the comfort.

With what seems to be a lackluster release of the new iPhone 7 along with a possible new release of the Apple Watch 2 and not any significant differences with that, I am considering going back.

How has the switch been from the Apple watch to the Gear S2 platform?

I tried the S2 on at Best Buy and I must admit, the rotating bezel sure seems better than the crown on the Apple watch and also the Samsung Pay working on more than just Android Pay machines, seems to be another plus.

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm converting to... I ordered my Note 7 yesterday through AT&T and they gave me a free S2. It's still in the box until I get my Note. I'm wondering if there is a way to use s voice on the watch to control Google Play or Spotify? I know that on the Apple Watch, you can use Siri to find songs or play radio stations without having to pull your phone out. My other question is what will Samsung do to replace Milk Music so you can stream audio from the watch? That seemed like a neat feature. I can't complain much because it was free!

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
If I might ask how were you able to get the watch for free with the Note7? I ordered mine from att 2 days ago and wasn't offered that.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it's free on contract. Meaning you have to pay the &10/mo to add it to your mobile share plan. I do think that the cancelation fee is less than they are charging for the phone though.

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the offer it was free with the purchase of a note 7. There is also an online order available for free Gear S2 and a Samsung tablet which I wasn't interested. My note should be here tomorrow but they got me hooked up with the watch in store. I've been using it since I got it independent of a phone and I really like it so far. Be nice to see what all it can do once I get it hooked up to the note tomorrow

Posted via the Android Central App

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Unless you are a diehard runner, the Gear S2 will make you want to throw your Apple Watch off a bridge.

I converted from an iPhone 6 Plus and an Apple Watch Sport to a Galaxy S7 Active and a Gear S2 Classic. I had to pay $50 to get the classic from AT&T verses the free regular S2. Everything about this watch is better than the Apple watch except for one small issue...APPS! I'm a runner and one of the reasons I switched out of my Garmin Fenix into an Apple Watch was because for everyday running, my iPhone's GPS was more accurate than my Garmin. If I could control it from my watch, all the better. Flash forward to this summer and I bricked my iPhone getting it wet. Second time that's happened and the first time was when I got my first Galaxy Active, the S4. AT&T's offer of a free or cheap watch that did everything the Apple Watch didn't do was too good to be true. For the most part, it's been a fantastic watch.

But at the moment, the only running app that works on the watch is Samsung's own S Health app. Nike+ DID work but Nike did a MAJOR update and rebranding of the Nike + app to Nike Running Club. Now, whenever I open my Nike+ app on my watch, it asks me to install Nike+ on my phone. Now, I mainly used S Health anyway. But the only problem is S Health has no web-based interface to track and monitor things. It's ONLY an Android app. Kind of not what most phone-based running app users are used to dealing with. With Nike+, you at least can view your runs on something bigger than a phone.

But on the plus side, it's a standalone phone! Apps don't lag on here like the do on the apple watch. There were plenty of times on my Apple Watch that I tried to open an app, watched it sit there slowly trying to open, then just gave up and closed it out. Battery life is about the same. The Samsung is a little bit better in that regard. Changing watch faces is a tad gimmicky. If found many of them a bit weird and I rotate back and forth between maybe 2-3. But to each his own...

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Wait, so the S2 didn't update the Nike+ app to Nike Runners Club? If so, I don't understand why Samsung or Nike wouldn't update it? I noticed my Apple Watch updated its Nike+ app to NRC. It actually works great now and tracks my outdoor mileage and heart rate accurately while running.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Mine hasn't. I still have the little red nike+ app on the watch and when I click it, it's like I said, it asks me to install the app on my phone...

I was actually thinking I should email Nike or someone. But doubted I would get a response.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are a diehard runner, the Gear S2 will make you want to throw your Apple Watch off a bridge.

I converted from an iPhone 6 Plus and an Apple Watch Sport to a Galaxy S7 Active and a Gear S2 Classic. I had to pay $50 to get the classic from AT&T verses the free regular S2. Everything about this watch is better than the Apple watch except for one small issue...APPS! I'm a runner and one of the reasons I switched out of my Garmin Fenix into an Apple Watch was because for everyday running, my iPhone's GPS was more accurate than my Garmin. If I could control it from my watch, all the better. Flash forward to this summer and I bricked my iPhone getting it wet. Second time that's happened and the first time was when I got my first Galaxy Active, the S4. AT&T's offer of a free or cheap watch that did everything the Apple Watch didn't do was too good to be true. For the most part, it's been a fantastic watch.

But at the moment, the only running app that works on the watch is Samsung's own S Health app. Nike+ DID work but Nike did a MAJOR update and rebranding of the Nike + app to Nike Running Club. Now, whenever I open my Nike+ app on my watch, it asks me to install Nike+ on my phone. Now, I mainly used S Health anyway. But the only problem is S Health has no web-based interface to track and monitor things. It's ONLY an Android app. Kind of not what most phone-based running app users are used to dealing with. With Nike+, you at least can view your runs on something bigger than a phone.

But on the plus side, it's a standalone phone! Apps don't lag on here like the do on the apple watch. There were plenty of times on my Apple Watch that I tried to open an app, watched it sit there slowly trying to open, then just gave up and closed it out. Battery life is about the same. The Samsung is a little bit better in that regard. Changing watch faces is a tad gimmicky. If found many of them a bit weird and I rotate back and forth between maybe 2-3. But to each his own...

How is SHealth verses Apple health or are they overall comparable? I had the SHealth a couple years ago and found it disappointing. I think at that time I was looking for an all in one. One that monitors me and records my food intake.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
It works great! I used to use Lose It and, while its doesn't have ALL lose its features, it's pretty good.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
S Health basically records exercise, food, weight, pulse, stress, water and caffeine intake. Maybe a few other tricks...

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
How is SHealth verses Apple health or are they overall comparable? I had the SHealth a couple years ago and found it disappointing. I think at that time I was looking for an all in one. One that monitors me and records my food intake.

Thanks. How about the band assortment? Are there a lot of band options? I know they have a lot better assortment of watch faces which is a plus.

DAFFYDC

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. How about the band assortment? Are there a lot of band options? I know they have a lot better assortment of watch faces which is a plus.

Yes the Classic will accept standard watch bands. For the Sport, you need to use adapters that clip on each end of the watch which will then allow you to use standard watch bands. The adapters can be found at amazon and ebay. You can also find bands made specifically for the Gear S2 Sport which don't require any adapters. I just got my watch (black sport) and love it but have been looking around at various leather and metal bands for it.

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I noticed that on S Health, they removed Nike as a partner app, so my runs no longer write to S Health. I guess that Samsung and Nike broke up. That's fine, it never really worked consistently on the Gear S line. I'll start using S Health going forward since at least Samsung puts in effort to keep that app updated and getting better.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
My other question is what will Samsung do to replace Milk Music so you can stream audio from the watch? That seemed like a neat feature. I can't complain much because it was free!

Just noticed this part of the question. I THINK Milk Music still works, it's just they've discontinued the premium subscription service. They started advertising iheartradio about the same time. I know that's not the same, but...

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I noticed that on S Health, they removed Nike as a partner app, so my runs no longer write to S Health. I guess that Samsung and Nike broke up. That's fine, it never really worked consistently on the Gear S line. I'll start using S Health going forward since at least Samsung puts in effort to keep that app updated and getting better.

I just wish they had a webpage! Talking about not working correctly, my gps on my Gear S2 Classic fails to work on runs maybe once every week or so. The watch falls back on pacing/accelerometer to measure distance in that scenario. For me, it's wildly inaccurate. In those scenarios, I just delete the run and enter it manually on the app.

anon(62000)

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Another iPhone 6s plus/Apple Watch convert here. Bought a Note 7 on launch day (it's the BOMB, I know... swapping for a new one as soon as stock permits), and a Gear S2 Classic. Ordered a standard matching stainless steel band, and I happily gave my Apple Watch to my wife, who will probably never use it so I'll sell it later.. anyway, I wish I'd done this sooner. My only gripe is that I can't change playlists from the Gear but it's a very minor annoyance. Samsung Pay is a conversation piece as well, people are still amazed when they see it. Basically, I have everything I had with Apple but less lag on the watch, and more freedom with the phone.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Another iPhone 6s plus/Apple Watch convert here. Bought a Note 7 on launch day (it's the BOMB, I know... swapping for a new one as soon as stock permits), and a Gear S2 Classic. Ordered a standard matching stainless steel band, and I happily gave my Apple Watch to my wife, who will probably never use it so I'll sell it later.. anyway, I wish I'd done this sooner. My only gripe is that I can't change playlists from the Gear but it's a very minor annoyance. Samsung Pay is a conversation piece as well, people are still amazed when they see it. Basically, I have everything I had with Apple but less lag on the watch, and more freedom with the phone.

Oddly enough that is exactly the combo that I was considering. I wanted the s2 Classic with the cellular radio in it.