Bluetooth/Standalone mode/Connected remotely

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello Everyone!!!! I need your help. Can someone please explain to me the difference between bluetooth/standalone mode/and being connected remotely to the Gear S3 Frontier? When I'm in my apartment my Gear S3 Frontier is connected to my Samsung Galaxy S7 via Bluetooth. When I leave the apartment and stand outside near my apartment window my Gear S3 Frontier goes into standalone mode. When I walk away from the apartment building my Gear S3 Frontier is connected remotely. I would like to know why my Gear S3 Frontier connects remotely when I walk further away from the apartment building and why my Gear S3 Frontier just doesn't stay in standalone mode. Does anyone know?

just_luc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Your WiFi is set to on or auto so the watch automatically tries to regain connection to your phone via WiFi when it looses Bluetooth. If you turn the WiFi off this won't happen, the watch will stay in standalone mode...

Of course that also means the watch won't receive any notifications.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Your WiFi is set to on or auto so the watch automatically tries to regain connection to your phone via WiFi when it looses Bluetooth. If you turn the WiFi off this won't happen, the watch will stay in standalone mode...

Of course that also means the watch won't receive any notifications.

If the watch is connected remotely or in standalone mode I can still make and receive phone calls right?

just_luc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the LTE version AND have the esim activated with a cellular carrier? If so then yes. If not then no.

just_luc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Then yes. You can make calls while in standalone mode or remote mode.

also turning off WiFi probably won't stop the watch from connecting remotely than. The watch will connect over the cellular network.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
To answer your original question, it has nothing to do with how far you are away since you have the LTE version. When you first leave Bluetooth range, your device goes into standalone mode, after a little bit it connects remotely. It just doesn't happen instantly, I used to wonder the same exact thing. Turns out, it just takes a second to connect to the servers

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
To answer your original question, it has nothing to do with how far you are away since you have the LTE version. When you first leave Bluetooth range, your device goes into standalone mode, after a little bit it connects remotely. It just doesn't happen instantly, I used to wonder the same exact thing. Turns out, it just takes a second to connect to the servers

Yeah I've noticed that. I just got really confused because my watch started out connected via Bluetooth and then when I left the apartment the watch went into standalone mode and then as I walked away from the apartment building and down the street the watch then was connected remotely and I freaked out and thought all of the functions wouldn't work. I thought I wouldn't be able to make or receive calls at all.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
You're not connecting by wifi at any point there, your watch would specifically indicate the wifi connection. Your watch is either connected by bluetooth or LTE.

Are you using Numbersync? I just leave bluetooth off except to sync a few things like S-Health every few days while using the Digits beta on T-Mo.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
While calls and texts are unaffected by standalone vs remotely connected, notifications are. I use the Android Wear app to get notifications from email, Hangouts, etc. These are passed through in RC mode but not SA mode.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
You're not connecting by wifi at any point there, your watch would specifically indicate the wifi connection. Your watch is either connected by bluetooth or LTE.

Are you using Numbersync? I just leave bluetooth off except to sync a few things like S-Health every few days while using the Digits beta on T-Mo.

Yes, I am using NumberSync. However, I want to use T-Mobile DIGITS because I don't want to have two numbers.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
When you call or text from your watch does it show a different number to the receiver than calling/texting from your phone does? You'll have a different account/billing number either way.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm confused. If you have numbersync, you shouldn't have two numbers, correct? Are you with t-mobile or AT&T?

I'm with AT&T. I have no idea about having two numbers. When I got the watch the AT&T employees at my local AT&T store said that the watch had to have it's own phone number. I told them that I wanted one phone number not two phone numbers and they told me I couldn't do that with NumberSync.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty