Is there any way do a CLEAN install the stock ROM?

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
With all this mess about the malicious apps that were removed from the Market, one of the most recommended actions to take was to reinstall the ROM clean. Flashing the ROM from an update.zip in the SD card is ment to preserve user data and applications so that will not remove the suspicious code that may have been left by the apps.

While I did not download any of the offending apps, I did try unsuccessfully to root my phone and I suspect there are traces of the exploits left behind. Is there a way to revert a Samsung Intercept (Sprint) to a stock ROM, wiping everything so we get a clean install of the ROM?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is a way.
Let me see if I can't help you along here.

You'll need to download "SamsungMoment_Update.exe" (~103mb). http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16578358/Samsung%20Intercept/Intercept%20Root%20Files/SamsungMoment_Update.exe
Install that.
Download "SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar" (~187mb) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16578358/Samsung%20Intercept/Intercept%20Root%20Files/SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar
Copy that to the folder that the SamsungMoment_Update created (C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary) DELETE THE EXISTING FILES FIRST! FAILURE TO DELETE THIS WILL TRY TO FLASH YOUR INTERCEPT WITH MOMENT FIRMWARE, BRICKING YOUR PHONE.

Run the updater, following the directions on the screen. This will flash you back to the stock 2.1. Your phone will immediately start downloading the 2.2 update. I would let this continue and finish before doing anything else.

blackhawk7188

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just restore factory settings in the settings. Or call support, IE...sprint support, and say that it has crapped out and needs a reset and they will talk you through it. The thing with the Moment update never works, I have attempted numerous times. Rooting always fails too. Its kinda funny when you post how to root it noone has any ideas except for the one above which doesnt work or help you reset.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset should work.

I have used the moment updater several times on my intercept, never had a problem.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just restore factory settings in the settings. Or call support, IE...sprint support, and say that it has crapped out and needs a reset and they will talk you through it. The thing with the Moment update never works, I have attempted numerous times. Rooting always fails too. Its kinda funny when you post how to root it noone has any ideas except for the one above which doesnt work or help you reset.

While the "Factory Reset" will wipe all settings and put things back to stock, there is no guarantee that a malicious program that has gained root access to the device, didn't tamper with the factory files (since that is a root permission). This is why I recommended a full wipe with known clean files. Both files that I posted are available from other sources if anyone doesn't trust that the ones on my server are clean. The directions I posted have worked numerous times on my Sprint Intercept.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You should not I repeat should not use samsung moment stuff for the intercept! You might brick your phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

That's why I mentioned to DELETE all the files in that one folder. The moment and intercept use the same program. Similar to how the more powerful Nexus s 4g and Epic 4g both use ODIN to flash their firmware. The samsung moment updater just happens to include the momen't firmware, which needs to be replaced with the file from the intercept. It's not really a hacked moment only program...
Failure to delete that moment firmware file, WILL BRICK AN INTERCEPT. Always read the directions twice ;)

Those that said it "never works", you need to have the proper drivers installed on your computer, which I admit, isn't always easy to get them to work. Once they are installed and working, the moment updater works just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty