Performance ISSUES

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
OK. I purchased my shield tablet from a Gamestop about two weeks ago. I am a casual gamer nowhere near hardcore, as a matter of fact I purchased the device with the thought that it would be a very good tablet with the bonus of a great chipset running the show. I really enjoy the stylus and I use it to tool around in my apps and in some games. I also appreciate being able to create handwritten notes as well. All of this is good stuff despite the still INCREDIBLY bad power and volume buttons but now something much more insidious has reared its ugly head.

General performance as a tablet has been AWFUL lately. Super lag, stuttering homescreen, abysmal multitasking with about 5 apps open. Switching between apps has been excruciatingly bad with some apps taking 30 to 60 seconds to resume or even longer to open from my app drawer. Its been THAT bad. Im running the almost stock launcher and all of the Nvidia Updates are installed. I have enabled Developer options but am not running ART and I have my screen animations timed at .5 Overall I am not doing anything out of ordinary use that would cause such terrible performance issues.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I mean its been two weeks and Im ready to get rid of the thing...

You know what really galls me? I used to have an iPad mini with Retina Display and it NEVER lagged or had any performance issues. The Shield has a BEAST chipset, so I ask...WHAT THE HECK is going on!!!

I didn't want to go the ROOT route but I will if this keeps up. Any input would be great guys and gals. THANKS

ced2334

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a shield but have you tried a factory reset? What apps have you installed besides the ones that come with the tablet

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would agree here.. Many times as much as we hate to do it after even a single update or in this case multiple updates a new device a factory reset is in order.

I would give this a shot before moving forward.

I didn't want to go the ROOT route but I will if this keeps up.
This shouldn't be necessary. Only reason you would want to go this route is if you wish to remove certain apps or grab NVIDIA's provided factory images to flash it to the most current or earlier version.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
OK. I purchased my shield tablet from a Gamestop about two weeks ago. I am a casual gamer nowhere near hardcore, as a matter of fact I purchased the device with the thought that it would be a very good tablet with the bonus of a great chipset running the show. I really enjoy the stylus and I use it to tool around in my apps and in some games. I also appreciate being able to create handwritten notes as well. All of this is good stuff despite the still INCREDIBLY bad power and volume buttons but now something much more insidious has reared its ugly head.

General performance as a tablet has been AWFUL lately. Super lag, stuttering homescreen, abysmal multitasking with about 5 apps open. Switching between apps has been excruciatingly bad with some apps taking 30 to 60 seconds to resume or even longer to open from my app drawer. Its been THAT bad. Im running the almost stock launcher and all of the Nvidia Updates are installed. I have enabled Developer options but am not running ART and I have my screen animations timed at .5 Overall I am not doing anything out of ordinary use that would cause such terrible performance issues.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I mean its been two weeks and Im ready to get rid of the thing...

You know what really galls me? I used to have an iPad mini with Retina Display and it NEVER lagged or had any performance issues. The Shield has a BEAST chipset, so I ask...WHAT THE HECK is going on!!!

I didn't want to go the ROOT route but I will if this keeps up. Any input would be great guys and gals. THANKS

I didn't have that problem before rooting. I'd suggest exchanging the device. It normally runs very well.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Go into settings and Nividia has a software feature that tunes down everything to save battey. Make sure you have it on Max Performance. Lollipop will only make this thing even faster too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress