SD cards

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Where can I find out more information about the SD cards for the tablet? As I understand it, cards over 64gb have to be formatted on the computer first so that it's recognized on the tablet, and then there's different options which determine whether apps can be moved back and forth between internal storage and SD storage? Is there also something that determines if the card can be removed?

Posted via the Android Central App

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I put a 128 in my Shield and it formatted for me no issue. The device (Marshmallow update) will ask you how you would like to configure the additional storage. You can set it up like removable media or as additional device storage. It will explain each option to you as you go.

Update: The device was running VERY glitchy after the update to Marshmallow. Not sure how it ran before, the update came just after taking the Shield out of the box. So I did a factory reset, this killed the WiFi altogether, as in no signal or connectivity at all. So I did the factory reset over again. This time it was much better, at least until I started loading apps. I had set the 128g SD card to function as additional system storage. As the apps loaded and parts were added to the SD card, things would start running awful. So, one more factory reset with no SD card and the device is running great.

Still not sure I'll keep it now. It was to be an upgrade for my 32g Nexus 7 (2014). I really like the tablet and the 8" screen size. I've loaded all the apps I use and still have about 7gb to go. This along with Dropbox, Onedrive and Google Drive should workout fine.

Last edited:

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I put a 128 in my Shield and it formatted for me no issue. The device (Marshmallow update) will ask you how you would like to configure the additional storage. You can set it up like removable media or as additional device storage. It will explain each option to you as you go.

Update: The device was running VERY glitchy after the update to Marshmallow. Not sure how it ran before, the update came just after taking the Shield out of the box. So I did a factory reset, this killed the WiFi altogether, as in no signal or connectivity at all. So I did the factory reset over again. This time it was much better, at least until I started loading apps. I had set the 128g SD card to function as additional system storage. As the apps loaded and parts were added to the SD card, things would start running awful. So, one more factory reset with no SD card and the device is running great.

Still not sure I'll keep it now. It was to be an upgrade for my 32g Nexus 7 (2014). I really like the tablet and the 8" screen size. I've loaded all the apps I use and still have about 7gb to go. This along with Dropbox, Onedrive and Google Drive should workout fine.

Any improvement? I wanted to buy the tablet but if only if it works well with marshmallow. 16GB isn't enough space under Lollipop. If I can't use adoptable storage, its not worth purchasing.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Any improvement? I wanted to buy the tablet but if only if it works well with marshmallow. 16GB isn't enough space under Lollipop. If I can't use adoptable storage, its not worth purchasing.

No improvement for me, I never could get it to run well with the SD card. I did not try a smaller card or a different card. The card I'm using is new and seems to be ok otherwise. I'll probably install a smaller SD card and see how it goes, whether it makes any difference or not. The one I'm using is a class 10 PNY 128gb. I have several other smaller cards, I'll update in a few days.

Device is running great when only using internal storage.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been using a 32 gb sandisk extreme card as adopted storage without any issues.

Grant Brown

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hey... Same problem here. Installed sd. Card and adopted it as internal storage. Moved apps to it. Apps either froze or ran at 1987 performance rates! Unusable! I think the whole sd card as useable internal memory is a vapor ware technology at this point. Not even beta yet honestly. I can't believe googles' carelessness. I am new to android from iOS since 2007. Maybe this is the norm. Releasing half baked features as if they are real.

Grant Brown

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Yeah.... That's the one I just ordered. I was using this:
Silicon Power 64GB up to 85MB/s MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class10

I hope it works for me too. Adoption is so cool. I hope it is my sd card. Are you using it in mxpe?

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
It shouldn't be hard to find one that runs faster than the internal storage, which by my tests run in the 70's. I have the samsung 64 pro which runs faster than the internal memory, up to 90mbs, but I think there are still some problems with adoptive mode.

The only way I could get stability was to install first on the table, then format the sd card to adoptive and move the apps manually. When the tablet moved the apps automatically it would become unstable and maybe even start boot looping in stead of booting up. Moving them manually and it's stable right now.

I really wish they had left the ability to move apps to the sdcard in portable mode, I much prefer that.

What do you guys get as internal write speeds on this tablet?

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
No improvement for me, I never could get it to run well with the SD card. I did not try a smaller card or a different card. The card I'm using is new and seems to be ok otherwise. I'll probably install a smaller SD card and see how it goes, whether it makes any difference or not. The one I'm using is a class 10 PNY 128gb. I have several other smaller cards, I'll update in a few days.

Device is running great when only using internal storage.

Update: I put this tablet aside for a while then let one of my kids use it for some online class work. Without an SD card it ran fine. I decided to pick it up again and give it another try, mostly to see how well the active pen would work for note taking and a few other task that work better on the 8" screen than on the 6" Note 5. I thought I'd give the SD card another try now that the OS has been updated, and installed a Samsung 128gb card. So far so good. It seems the issues have been resolved.

Segads

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a 128 gb silicon power on it, just put on the shield and no issues for far, lots of apps installed on the SD card like 60gb so far just in games