Worth a buy or wait?

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering what people's thoughts are on this tablet, especially with the future in mind. Is there any solid information on an updated version? Maybe with the X1?

I'm currently using a Nexus 10, which is still going strong for the most part. I definitely see slow downs and hiccups every so often (with gaming especially). The fact that it won't get Marshmellow though, is making me consider getting a newer tablet. So in your opinion, is the Shield Tablet a worthwhile upgrade right now? Or am I better off waiting?

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Based on what?

Based on this for one:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/shield-tablet/631074-word-excel-apps.html#post4969238

and this

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...harging-while-tablet-plugged.html#post4969262

and this

http://forums.androidcentral.com/shield-tablet/633542-fence-about-getting-one-help.html#post4969230

I would not recommend this tablet in any way whatsoever even without another tablet, If I had the nexus 10 I certainly would not recommend wasting money on this. So would you recommend this over nexus 10?

Last edited:

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Based on this for one:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/shield-tablet/631074-word-excel-apps.html#post4969238

and this

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...harging-while-tablet-plugged.html#post4969262

and this

http://forums.androidcentral.com/shield-tablet/633542-fence-about-getting-one-help.html#post4969230

I would not recommend this tablet in any way whatsoever even without another tablet, If I had the nexus 10 I certainly would not recommend wasting money on this. So would you recommend this over nexus 10?
Have you contacted nvidia? Sounds like you have a defective product.

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Have you contacted nvidia? Sounds like you have a defective product.

If you notice I am not the only one having the problems except for the cheap rubber strip coming loose.

I think it's just junk, for another I am out of the country and to send it back would cost up close to what it's worth. I may contact them and see what they say, I would prefer my money back but that's not going to happen.

I just chatted with nvidia, I have to send a picture later. On the side with the camera the lens (or plastic piece) covering it came out with the sliding around of the rubber. I figured it was thicker rubber over the speakers, but it's strips about as thick as a sheet of paper glued on. No idea why the glue is loosening up as it's cold here.

2016-01-28 13.03.23.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Here is what they are asking for now:
Full Name:

“Ship to” Address:
Street number:
City:
State:
Zip Code/Postal Code:

Phone number (with area code):

E-mail address:

NVIDIA Part Number:

Serial number:

Place of Purchase:

Purchase order number:

Date of Purchase:

Purchase Price:

Quantity:

Note: Please give us a screenshot of the serial number from the device. Below is the path to find it.
Menu -> Settings -> About SHIELD/Tablet -> Status -> Serial Number. If the device is not powering on or has no display, please provide us a picture of the serial number form the Box of the device.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Here is what they are asking for now:
Full Name:

“Ship to” Address:
Street number:
City:
State:
Zip Code/Postal Code:

Phone number (with area code):

E-mail address:

NVIDIA Part Number:

Serial number:

Place of Purchase:

Purchase order number:

Date of Purchase:

Purchase Price:

Quantity:

Note: Please give us a screenshot of the serial number from the device. Below is the path to find it.
Menu -> Settings -> About SHIELD/Tablet -> Status -> Serial Number. If the device is not powering on or has no display, please provide us a picture of the serial number form the Box of the device.

Wow. So if you can't power it on and didn't save your box you are screwed? That's nuts.

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Wow. So if you can't power it on and didn't save your box you are screwed? That's nuts.

I am over 60 and have never seen that much info needed for a product like this. I did send it so I will see what they say. Now they want a photo copy of the receipt with a bunch of that info so they keep moving the goalposts, a different hoop each email.

Last edited:

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
These are the same things asked of me whenever I have an RMA from a manufacturer. And I've had quite a few. I don't understand the problem here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
These are the same things asked of me whenever I have an RMA from a manufacturer. And I've had quite a few. I don't understand the problem here.

I'm calling BS. I've been building computers since dos, done a ton of rma's and have NEVER had to take a screenshot of anything. Care to share what "quite a few" rma's have required screenshot's from you? I'm calling you on this.

NOW they are asking for a photo of the sales receipt and that is all I have ever had to provide, used to mail them with the RMA#, with the exception of drives which they used to just go by the serial number. The warranty was based on it and not purchase date.

I have never, ever had anyone ask for purchase number, price, quantity, **SCREENSHOT**, etc. before asking for a copy of the recipt that has all of that on it (except maybe serial number), period.

Nvidia part number? The freaking serial number would tell them that aside from the fact that the whole case is about a shield k1 tablet. Where I bought it, price date, quantity, serial order number, screenshot and THEN a photo of the receipt?

I sent them an email telling them to send me everything they want in one email instead of sending a different hoop to jump through each time.

Really. Did you post this on break at nvidia?

thejesse is right. If it would not boot up and you did not keep the box you would be screwed.

Know what.? I'll put you on ignore, you put me on ignore also and we will both be happy. You no longer have to read posts from someone that expects good service after a sale instead of getting a bunch of hoops to jump through.

Last edited:

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Deleted. I dont want to pollute the thread with all this, sorry TC.

I have one in the mail, I'll let you know how I feel about mine soon.

Last edited:

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
TC, I say wait. I got mine in and there is no way I'll be keeping it with this screen. I can easily seen the screen between the pixels, and the color coverage makes every gradient look broken.

I will be returning mine and waiting for something else.

Andrew Malsbury

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I will be selling mine as soon as the x1 comes out. Cheap screen and build quality plus the Tegra x1 sure is a reason to upgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Nvidia Shield K1

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
My rubber is doing the same, but I just used some epoxy and it's holding well now

Posted via the Android Central App on my Nvidia Shield K1

Mine started moving and the bottom stayed attached so it separated in 2 pieces. If they ever get back to me I will probably just ask them to send me another and I will stick it on with something better. They are really dragging this out though.

I don't really understand why it's getting such attention, I think I will be moving to a chromebook in a few months.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you heard anything about the x1 tablet? I haven't seen anything referencing that such a tablet exists :'(.

These issues you guys are having certainly help make my decision to stick with the Nexus 10 a bit longer easier. It has been a great tablet, but its age is definitely starting to show.

Segads

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I got my Nvidia shield k1 in December I use it every day and still looks like new, battery life is good and with and sd card 128gb lots of games on it, for 200usd and the latest android version with Vulkan support, is a best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralCaveman216