The new Android Central homepage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
new-ac-front1.jpg

Welcome to the next iteration of Android Central. We'd give you a version number but, frankly, we have no idea what version we're on.. Just like Android, we keep on doing our thing. (Though we're able to get updates to all of you at one time, which is awesome.)

So what's new? We just rolled out a new version of our homepage filter, with much more filtering power behind it.

You now have three main options for content on the Android Central home page.

• Featured content: You're not going to see every story in this view. This is the best of the best. Or maybe the least of the worst. If you're looking for the most important news of the day, this is where you'll find it.
  • All headlines: With this view, you get the raw feed. Everything we post goes here -- a veritable waterfall of Android news. You'll see featured stories here as well, played a little more prominently. You can also see at a glance when the post went up, as well as the number of comments.
  • Latest discussions: We have the most helpful and friendly Android forums around, bar none. And now you can see the latest forum discussions -- as well as the device they're tied to -- directly on the home page.

​But, Phil, I want the headlines as my default home page!

Then set them as your homepage, homeslice! When you first come to the home page now, you'll see the featured stories by default. But click over to the headlines, and you'll see an option in the top right to see them as your default.

Change your mind and want featured stories or discussions as your default? You can change back and forth as much as you want!

Why did you do this? I hate change!

Let's face it, the amount of Android news that comes through here daily can be daunting. I know -- even I can have a hard time keeping up with it all. Now the really important stuff is right where you need it. The hardcore news junkies should use the headlines column by default. (That's what I'm using.) But if you want just the best of the best, or are more concerned about forum discussions, you now have the option to see them first.

Is it always going to be like this?

Nope. It's going to get even better. We're already hard at work on the next iteration of Android Central. Android didn't become the best mobile operating system by sitting around, and we didn't become the biggest and best Android site by resting on our laurels, either.

Can I make a suggestion?

Please do! Look, this isn't perfect just yet. We already have ideas of what we want to change and improve on. And we want to hear form you, too. Leave your feedback in this thread.

These are exciting times, folks. And we're glad you're along for the ride.

griftercm

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not bad, although I don't like how cramped and "non-picturey" the headlines tab is, and I don't know if I can handle being on the featured tab knowing I may miss some news items. I need to have my entire Android fix dammit! :p

Reactions: moosc

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
damn. I liked being able to click on the 'Phone' tab and just read phone news. O wait, it's a dropdown menu option under 'All Headlines.'

Took a minute to find, but okay. I'd suggest adding that filter back to the default view, though.

WindRunner

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree on the cramped look of the headlines view. It is nice to know that if I'm off of here for most of a day, I won't have to click back through 2+ pages of news, but it would also be nice for me not to have to go off the main page to get a preview of stories. I don't care THAT much about Samsung SD cards, but it would be nice to see a picture and sarcastic blurb about them quickly.

Possible solution: have each item in the headlines drop-down into the full preview as it was generated for the old front page and still is for featured content. From there we can click through to the full story, should we choose to do so.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind the change to have a "Featured Stories" page and an "All Headlines" page. But I don't like the format of the "All Headlines" page. I can't just scroll through and read these articles. I will have to click on each on to read it. That a lot more clicks and pages to wait to load, especially one a mobile device. I'd rather wait for one page to load (even if it takes longer) and then read everything, than to wait forward each article to load separately.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I like the changes. Much more convenient for me. I like the flexibility of a user's choice of displays.

-Frank

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Mobile sight is bla I get still loading on 3 things.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Mobile sight is bla I get still loading on 3 things.

Just for another datapoint... I'm not having any issues with the new mobile site. Seems fine. This is on the stock HTC Thunderbolt browser. I wonder if perhaps your connection is not-so-hot? Or maybe this is something clearing the browser's cache may help?

-Frank

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Just for another datapoint... I'm not having any issues with the new mobile site. Seems fine. This is on the stock HTC Thunderbolt browser. I wonder if perhaps your connection is not-so-hot? Or maybe this is something clearing the browser's cache may help?

-Frank

4be163f0-f838-55a7.jpg

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You might want to check that "enable javascript" is selected in your browser. That's the only other thing I can think of.

-Frank

dr4stic

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I can live with the new layout, but I am having a technical issue. In the "All Headlines" tab, I can't middle click to open things in a new browser. I do that quite a lot with lists. I'll look at the main list and middle click to open things in tabs. Doing that in "All Headlines" now opens the link both in a new tab and the current tab.

This isn't a problem in "Featured Stories"

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've given the new layout some time, but I'm still not a fan. The previous layout was much easier to navigate and find info quickly. The new layout puts too much on one page. One thing I do like though is the "Show more headlines" option at the bottom. That would've been cool on the old layout and IMO the best of both worlds. Also, I clear my cookies after a browser session, so in order to see all headlines, I have to go through the extra steps every time. Grrrr It would be nice to move that setting into my account setup, so I can set it and forget it. Otherwise, as it is now I'm less inclined to visit the main page with this new layout. :(

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I now hate the new layout when trying to enjoy the desktop version of the site in the stock browser on my Rezound. AC now is a site I won't bother reading while on the road (I don't like Reader apps).

In the All Headlines view, every time I read a story and press the back button at the bottom of the phone, I get forced back into the Featured Stories tab. This happens whether I open the story in a new browser window or not. Completely complicates the reading experience.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Dan29466

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
On a 1920x1080 display, I have to scroll before I can read any content? That seems a little odd. I understand that you guys are here to make money. I totally support that, but I can't even see the first headline when I come to the site without scrolling down. It's 100% ads. Yes, some of those "ads" are advertising site content, but an ad for content is still an ad. It's not content.

I really want to come to the site and read stuff. Once I've started reading, I'll keep scrolling and I'll be a happy little monkey scrolling and clicking through every page until I get to something I've already seen. If I come to the site and all I see is ads, that's just creepy and it makes me want to leave. I probably won't leave, because the content still rocks when I finally find it, but is AndroidCentral really "that" site? A main page that starts as 100% ads?

In case anyone suspects I'm exaggerating, here's the screen cap. The only thing cropped off is the sides and the Windows system tray at the bottom. The screencap was 1052 pixels high before I shrank it 50% to make it fit in here.

Dan

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I use Firefox (sometimes Chrome) - both with AdBlock Plus installed; so, I never experience the problem of ad overload -- thankfully!

My screenshot shows what the site looks like in Firefox with AdBlock Plus installed.

Looks like I'm missing that garbage in the red zone in Dan's screenshot, but I don't care. I hate ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non