50 posts required to post in the Marketplace? Please reconsider....

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let me start off by saying I understand the 50 post limit for starting a NEW thread in the Marketplace. If a person wants to use this site to sell an item, they should either have been a member for a certain length of time or contributed a certain amount of posts.

However I would like to suggest that someone should be able to respond to posts in the Marketplace. Case in point.
I just purchased a Razr Maxx HD from someone on the Marketplace forum. They were honest about the phone, gave me a really good deal and shipped quickly. I wanted to post a reply in his particular "For Sale" thread about how satisfied I was with the transaction. In other words... leave him some good feedback, but I am unable to because of this rule.

Also I am put at a disadvantage for buying. If someone puts an item up for sale I cannot reply that I am interested in buying. I must send a PM and hope that person sees it before it's sold to someone else.

Again, I understand having some kind of criteria for starting a New Thread in the Marketplace, but why not have a certain membership length of time ie: at least a member for 1 year OR 50 post rule.

As it stands now, I'm am forced to contribute what I would consider "drivel", like "ohh yes I'm really happy to have my Nexus 10" etc, etc just to get my posts up to 50.

I would ask you to please reconsider this rule.

Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Thank you for the input. We always value and pay attention to any and all feedback and suggestions from our members.

Paul
Forums Moderator.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Let me start off by saying I understand the 50 post limit for starting a NEW thread in the Marketplace. If a person wants to use this site to sell an item, they should either have been a member for a certain length of time or contributed a certain amount of posts.

However I would like to suggest that someone should be able to respond to posts in the Marketplace. Case in point.
I just purchased a Razr Maxx HD from someone on the Marketplace forum. They were honest about the phone, gave me a really good deal and shipped quickly. I wanted to post a reply in his particular "For Sale" thread about how satisfied I was with the transaction. In other words... leave him some good feedback, but I am unable to because of this rule.

Also I am put at a disadvantage for buying. If someone puts an item up for sale I cannot reply that I am interested in buying. I must send a PM and hope that person sees it before it's sold to someone else.

Again, I understand having some kind of criteria for starting a New Thread in the Marketplace, but why not have a certain membership length of time ie: at least a member for 1 year OR 50 post rule.

As it stands now, I'm am forced to contribute what I would consider "drivel", like "ohh yes I'm really happy to have my Nexus 10" etc, etc just to get my posts up to 50.

I would ask you to please reconsider this rule.

Thanks

I agree. It seems counterproductive because as a website, you obviously want well thought-out, intelligent posts in your forums, but this is certainly a rule that people use as a reason to post very frequently with nothing to say just to get their post count up to 50. I do, however, like Jim, absolutely agree that you shouldn't be allowed to create a thread until such criteria has been met, and maybe the solution isn't even as broad as everyone under the limit being able to reply to the thread; but maybe it could be anyone who meets either the one year or 50 post requirement could reply to existing threads and only people who meet both could start threads? I might not know the exact answer, but I do think a little change could be good thing.

And in the interest of full-disclosure, I was the seller in the RAZR MAXX HD transaction.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all :) There is a very valid reason for the rule across the Mobile Nations sites, but unfortunately (like all things) there will be some people caught on the wrong side of a rule who legitimately wish to post. I don't think we were aware that the current settings were not allowing members to post (I thought it was set to just restrict the ability to create a thread) in that forum on the sites. (The ability to create threads within that forum is meant as a reward for members who have contributed to the forums.) I'm sending an email up the line to see if admin can take a look at the settings for being able to reply to threads.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
OK... again, thanks for the feedback!

Our awesome Community Manager, James, has updated the settings for the Marketplace forums to allow members under the 50 post requirement to reply to posts. Again, the ability to actually create a thread in that forum is a reward to members who have contributed 50+ helpful and meaningful posts to a site. But this way, members with fewer posts will still be able to reply to threads and take advantage of sales.

(And as a reminder... we do remove 'junk' posts from member accounts if they try to post only to get to that 50 mark - excluding the OP here since this was a setting issue in the forum ;) )

Thanks all!
Dave

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95