A Quick Notice on Forum Signatures

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
** Update: October 16, 2015 **
Signatures have been removed! Read below for more info on WHY we made this move. We thank each and every one of you for the feedback provided!

==========

Greetings all,

This is a quick and important notice on forum signatures.

For years now we have allowed members to add almost anything they like to their signatures. As we move forward into the fall and winter we're moving towards doing away with them completely, for many valid reasons:

1. Speed up load times
  2. 'Mobile First' design in mind (signatures take up a LOT of space)
  3. Curb unnecessary spam
  4. Make modding easier by not having to deal with problem signatures
  5. Put the focus back on posts (signatures can be distracting and make it hard to find what members have to say)
  6. Clarity and unity across all communities
All that said, I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. We don't want to simply 'flick the switch' before giving everyone a chance to reply. If you think it's a bad idea, let me know. Good idea, that's great too. Feedback is good.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
At Android Central we tend to enforce signature rules more than other sites (no links, no images, no self promotion/advertising) - so cutting down on the need to moderate those is a plus and I'm in favor of having a faster and more streamlined site. I do love my signature thing but I can get over it for a better site experience.

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually fine with mods keeping their sigs, especially yours, Assassin Droid. That one's all signal, no noise...whereas I think you're right about a lot of user sigs being more noise than signal.

At most maybe making the picture smaller AD, but really, the more visible y'all are, the better.

Otherwise, flick the switch. :D

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I never see sigs most the time anyway because I use AC Forums app and you only see some sigs there. The problem I have run across is there being some really big ones.

If you decide to keep them, I would suggest a setting where the signature for members only shows up once in each thread they post in. If someone has a long signature and posts a lot in one thread, that gets to be a bit much.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
OK, how about a compromise...keep the signatures, but keep them simple. Maybe something like text-only with a 50 character limit? No links or images.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd much prefer to see a simple 1-2 line signature, and not allow images. But I don't feel strongly about it either way.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
[*]'Mobile First' design in mind (signatures take up a LOT of space)
Feedback is good.

Thanks everyone!
I'm not particularly attached to my sig, I even turn it off for chatty posts.
the focus on mobile first amuses me a bit since the last couple site format modifications have made it really difficult to read and especially post on AC using my long-in-the-tooth optimus V from 2011.
since that's the only device I own which sees any activity here on AC, it's my main reason to and tool for browsing the forum.
320x480 displays don't play well with the new format, in either Gingerbread or Kitkat CM browsers, in either mobile or desktop mode. the text isn't the issue, it's the menus and graphics that devour my screen real estate. it's a little more useable with a pixelserv adblocker, but signatures only affect how much I have to scroll to read posts on a thread.
I and others got a less-than-lukewarm response to requested comments on the "new" forum format right after it happened, so I expect there'll most likely be no improvements in that part of things.

SteveMW

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Good decision. On some forums you find signature blocks that are three or four times the size of the comment. And when those posters become overly eager to convey their opinion it makes getting that a topic practically impossible.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Since we're on the topic... why no links in signatures?

The forum is recognized as a place to get help... as most forums are. When people come here, many times I refer them to Safe Mode, yet, for me to do that, I have to first find a page that applies to their phone, then link it in the post. If I could have links in my signature, I could simply state "click the link in my signature".

I agree with not having pictures, and IP snooper's, etc, in signatures, but at the same time, text and links should be allowed. As a testament to what signatures can do, in THIS POST, the OP asked how to revert to Kitkat. I can only assume that he read my signature and saw that I had reverted my Note 4 to KK from LP because this is what's stated in my signature. The thread had nothing to do with reversion but instead was aimed at a bent phone and Otterbox.

I'll state here that I used to be a Tech on Geekstogo... a computer help forum. Our signatures had links to many anti-malware software, anti-virus, Windows links, and many other things relevant to repairing, troubleshooting, and other computer help topics. It was very useful for us when posting back to OP's given the amount of people with computer problems. AC, is no different. There are thousands of people asking for help daily, and quick links in signatures can be very helpful, both to the person giving help, and those looking for help.

I have to agree with Crashdamage and fatboy97 that not only should signatures be kept, but enhanced with the ability to add external links. People actually do read signatures and they can be useful.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Since we're on the topic... why no links in signatures?

The forum is recognized as a place to get help... as most forums are. When people come here, many times I refer them to Safe Mode, yet, for me to do that, I have to first find a page that applies to their phone, then link it in the post. If I could have links in my signature, I could simply state "click the link in my signature".

I agree with not having pictures, and IP snooper's, etc, in signatures, but at the same time, text and links should be allowed. As a testament to what signatures can do, in THIS POST, the OP asked how to revert to Kitkat. I can only assume that he read my signature and saw that I had reverted my Note 4 to KK from LP because this is what's stated in my signature. The thread had nothing to do with reversion but instead was aimed at a bent phone and Otterbox.

I'll state here that I used to be a Tech on Geekstogo... a computer help forum. Our signatures had links to many anti-malware software, anti-virus, Windows links, and many other things relevant to repairing, troubleshooting, and other computer help topics. It was very useful for us when posting back to OP's given the amount of people with computer problems. AC, is no different. There are thousands of people asking for help daily, and quick links in signatures can be very helpful, both to the person giving help, and those looking for help.

I have to agree with Crashdamage and fatboy97 that not only should signatures be kept, but enhanced with the ability to add external links. People actually do read signatures and they can be useful.
I think the issue with allowing outside links in sigs is that some people will use them to advertise their personal site/products. I'm not saying that everyone will be doing this but it will actually be more work making sure sure everyone's sig is up to par.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the issue with allowing outside links in sigs is that some people will use them to advertise their personal site/products. I'm not saying that everyone will be doing this but it will actually be more work making sure sure everyone's sig is up to par.
I've not actually seen it happen on any forum I've belonged to, (blatant advertising), but I guess it can happen. Point taken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress