Forum for DeX?

Jon44

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been using DeX a lot and have a number of topics that I'd like to share info around, discuss, etc. with other people. Hopefully, it'll be a rapidly growing ecosystem of new apps and capabilities, as well as new media (and hardware?) and wanted to suggest a sub-forum for it.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The geek in me says yes. But realistically I doubt many people are going to buy it. 150 bucks is too expensive. A new sub forum would probably be cricket city. I'd love to be wrong though

Jon44

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
If cost is the issue, FWIW, I got mine for free from T-Mobile by reclassifying my account as a small business account (and so DeX replaced the Gear VR as the pre-order gift.)

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been using DeX a lot and have a number of topics that I'd like to share info around, discuss, etc. with other people. Hopefully, it'll be a rapidly growing ecosystem of new apps and capabilities, as well as new media (and hardware?) and wanted to suggest a sub-forum for it.

There is a Samsung DeX forum here, unless you are talking about a sub-forum within the S8 forums.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=783087

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
If cost is the issue, FWIW, I got mine for free from T-Mobile by reclassifying my account as a small business account (and so DeX replaced the Gear VR as the pre-order gift.)

This would have been nice to know because I was not interested in the VR. I am currently saving my SPay points (I have 9600) for the $50 visa and then use the 30% off samsung code I received when I registered my s8+. The price will be $55 for the DeX. I would love a forum because I am still trying to figure out why I need the DeX because I barely use my laptop. I use my phone for everything.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This would have been nice to know because I was not interested in the VR. I am currently saving my SPay points (I have 9600) for the $50 visa and then use the 30% off samsung code I received when I registered my s8+. The price will be $55 for the DeX. I would love a forum because I am still trying to figure out why I need the DeX because I barely use my laptop. I use my phone for everything.
If I remember correctly, that 30% off coupon only applies to items $69.99 or less.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The issue I got with dex, is you need a monitor to plug it to. I get that. But my monitor is at my desk. Connected to my PC. If I gotta do PC work I'll just boot that up. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to the idea but I don't see where I'll ever truly use it beyond curiousity sake

Jon44

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
The issue I got with dex, is you need a monitor to plug it to. I get that. But my monitor is at my desk. Connected to my PC. If I gotta do PC work I'll just boot that up. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to the idea but I don't see where I'll ever truly use it beyond curiousity sake

For me, there's a lot of times when I need to respond to a few emails, check something out on Maps, look something up on the internet, etc. when I'm away from where I keep my PC. All those things are a lot easier and quicker to do on Dex than my phone so it was worth it to spend the $100 for a second monitor.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
For me, there's a lot of times when I need to respond to a few emails, check something out on Maps, look something up on the internet, etc. when I'm away from where I keep my PC. All those things are a lot easier and quicker to do on Dex than my phone so it was worth it to spend the $100 for a second monitor.

But is it enough quicker and easier to be worth $100? Plus the cost of the DeX dock? Mouse? Keyboard? Those are the questions facing you and many other S8 users.

I have an unlocked S8+ preordered, and I cannot wait to get it! I'm also hoping to get a DeX dock and try it out. But I guess in spite of being eager about DeX, I still have reservations about the real-world value. We'll see!

Jon44

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
But is it enough quicker and easier to be worth $100? Plus the cost of the DeX dock? Mouse? Keyboard? Those are the questions facing you and many other S8 users.

Well, FWIW, here was my "calculus"--T-Mobile gave me the dock for free as a pre-order gift, so my only cost was the monitor (I've got a ton of extra keyboards and mouses lying around.) I've got all sorts of joint issues, so extended typing is a lot more pleasurable on a keyboard and monitor than holding phone. I'm in a business where responding to people quickly via email is valued. And finally, having an HD monitor connected to my phone in my living room allows me to watch content off my phone in a non-office setting, that my old Blu-Ray player can't handle (e.g., Youtube and Vimeo videos, movies I've ripped, etc.)

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Connect it to your TV with a Bluetooth keyboard with built-in touch pad like the Logitech ones.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a business account so I got gear VR. 100 odd bucks for monitor plus 150 for dex. Add in wireless keyboard and mouse ( don't use wireless for PC, want zero latency for gaming) and I'm looking at about 300 dollars with tax. I can just buy a cheap laptop.

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Just got my new DexPad. One must remember that this device is for a "desktop" experience. So that's what I was looking for.
Is it worth the $99? I think so.
Some apps don't work, such as the Microsoft Edge browser and my F18 flight game. But most apps work fine. Most don't expand to full screen. But it's an extremely handy device if you want to go somewhere without your laptop. Just plug it in and go.
I'm using a Note 8. And yes, we need a dedicated Dex forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress