My latest DeX setup

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I used to travel 40+ weeks a year by plane and did a lot of my work while sitting in airports. Typically I used a win laptop and a smartphone. there was a 2+ year period of time when I went Strickly Android and my main work device was my Note Pro 12.2 and Hanscom Office.

I'm now mostly retired and consulting via Teams. My desktop crapped out and I set up a 2012 vintage laptop with a monitor but that was slow and then in April I bought the Tab S8 Ultra. This past week I spent 30 hours on teams which I run on the DeX monitor and use my TS8U for email and other diversions during the long Teams sessions.

I use Microsoft SwiftKey for its ability to work pretty well as a spellchecker while using my TS8U keyboard . In the cropped photo you can see the SwiftKey tool bar on the TS8U while in this example I'd be working with a word processor on the big DeX screen..

I'd be interested in hearing about other spellchecker options, mostly autocorrect.

It's certainly not a clean setup as I just have it cramped onto a small workspace until I get rid of the dead desktop and 35 years worth of other computer junk on my main desk.

At this point in my life I think I find the Tab S8 Ultra just right for my needs, much like some folks have "downgraded to Chrome books.

20220724_233534.jpg

20220724_233943.jpg

Last edited:

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
20220811_204456.jpg

Upgraded the setup with a Samsung M8 Smart monitor. DeX displays in a WQHD resolution and looks great. Also added a monitor light bar which I keep just bright enough to keep my keyboard visible. One of the advantages of the large screen Tab S8 Ultra is that I can continue to work while watch 4k streaming content on the M8.

I'm using a hub connected to the Tab which has HDMI connected to the monitor, power connected to a 45w Samsung charger and 1gE connected to my router. So the Tab has 1gE but the monitor is WiFi. The mouse only works with the tab and it's mirrored screen or DeX. The monitor is controlled by the included remote.

Lemorele USB-c Hub https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09RZCPL5J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monitor Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KLG3LKH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:
Reactions: Hghlndr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201