ADB: Basics [Windows only]

lhinsz

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you thank you!!

This is awesome information for a newbie like me!! I am trying to learn all about my new Android and there is soooo much complicated discussions that a simple clear ADB description and use is a great start for me...

Smittyn804

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks t0ast3d, this helped me getting familiar with using ADB. Trying to inform myself as much as possible without blindly rooting my TB or playing with files.

igotthepowers

May 16, 2011
Visit site
guys - need your help here (evo 4G). i am guessing these instructions might need a bit of updating because the new "revolutionary" rooting method requires htc sync to be uninstalled. i do have the most current htc drivers, HTCDriver3.0.0.007, which i downloaded and installed previously. should i reinstall sync (hope not)? is there another dot i need to connect to get ADB to work with the revolutionary rooting method?

i am getting the error message of "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

THANKS!!!

addendum - i uninstalled then reinstalled the HTC drivers using the executable file above, still no luck.

further addenedum - i think this might be a driver problem. my device "android phone" appears with five different device functions and drivers. three of these are the basic USB composite device, USB mass storage device and F:\ (portable device). the ones that seem related to this issue are (1) "HTC android phone USB device" (disk drive) and (2) "My HTC" (android USB devices). the driver for (1) is a microsoft driver version 6.1.7600.16385 dated 6/21/2006. the driver for (2) is from HTC, version 2.0.7.3 dated 1/3/2011. perhaps this is a problem with the driver for #1? please help, thanks again!

Last edited:

igotthepowers

May 16, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE - adb devices works when i open a command prompt on the subdirectory "platform-tools" and not "tools" as mentioned herein and in numerous other places. perhaps this is due to an updated google SDK package since all these directions were written?

HusamHaopsh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I'v been trying to find out a way to move Apps to SD card on my Note 2 WITHOUT ROOTING MY PHONE

later on I found out about a way useing ADB (Andriod Debugging Bridge) which has an option that sets/changes the default install location.

command line: adb shell pm set-install-location 2

0 [auto]: Let system decide the best location
1 [internal]: Install on internal device storage
2 [external]: Install on external media

which I did and rebooted the phone, tried to download a game to check if it works with no luck! it still uses the phone memory!
I attached a snapshot of the command line, even when I check the status, the phone replies with the new changed value, so i know the phone system accepted the command, but it does not make the apps save to the SD card!

does anyone know if it works? or if im missing a step here or there?
(I did install all required software/drivers, turned on USB debugging, checked the option on Unknown sources, and rebooted the phone).
thanks for any help!

Attachments

• adb.JPG
    adb.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 11

Naz Alahi

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
when i try to use any shell command its show me this
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I have A NEXUS 4 My phone's display is broken and non responsive but I really need my contacts, notes on some note app I used and all the text messages from one person. Well I downloaded the ADT-bundle Now what do I do? I tried to put in some commands but get the same response NAZ ALAHI above my post. I'm a complete newb to this. I have my phone in recovery mode and plugged into my laptop? Please teach me how to pull my info from my phone!!!

Ejaay Fernandez

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Sir, can i ask what is the command for factory reset and what to do after doing the command ? or after the phone resets. Thanks if reply, and also, when to connect the phone to the computer ?