Rooting FAQ's (please post all related questions and concerns about rooting in here)

burtonbogle

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rooting FAQ's (please post all related questions and concerns

i have a Samsung infuse4g and i want to root it and i just did to updat that came from ATT can someone help

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I need to know if I can root my LG Optimus M for Metro PCS when it has the 2.2.2 OS. will someone please help me

smurfette363

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

I just purchased a rooted unlocked HTC Inspire. I just got the APN set up for my network yesterday and I transferred all my old apps to My Backup Pro and got them on my new phone, but everytime I try to access my music apps it wont download anything and also anytime i try to open Photomagic it will crash immediately.
same for my soundhound and a few other apps.
New to this so any advice will help!!

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

I hope someone can help me here.
I have a new LG L55c android (2.3.4) phone which I would like to root. After a lot of reading I downloaded SuperOneClick, put my phone on USB debug and unmounted my SDcard.
I ran SuperOneClick, connected my phone and clicked on "root".

It did its thing. The first time I believe it failed. See attached image. But the phone worked fine. Using Connectbot terminal local I only get a $. su replies "permission denied".

So I tried again. This time it said it succeeded, but again with Connectbot terminal local I only get a $. su replies "permission denied".

What is wrong and what should I do. Please help.

Thank you.

Jeff

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Succeeded! But I will explain so others in the same situation will get help if they need it.

The problem was the Avast mobile security firewall I had installed that prevented the rooting.

I tried several things before I stumbled on the truth. Distrustful of Windows 7 "protections" I even booted an old XP PC to see if installing from there would make a difference. It did not. Then I remembered I had installed an antitheft firewall, "Avast Mobile Security", and wondered if that might be the problem. So I uninstalled AMS and tried again from my Windows 7 laptop and bingo! I was rooted!

Now the connectbot terminal allows me to go to root, I get the # prompt, and Titanium Backup finds root.

So I finally am rooted. It was Avast Mobile Security that was blocking the root tools. Avast Mobile Security is a very new app, but uninstalling AMS should probably be added to the root instructions for the process to work.

(Now I have to learn what to do with the root privileges, how to exit from su, etc.)

hkrn44

May 4, 2010
Visit site

This is a general question about rooting phones. Is it like jailbreaking your iphone? Can you download all of the paid apps for free? Can you download all kinds of music for free?

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

This is a general question about rooting phones. Is it like jailbreaking your iphone? Can you download all of the paid apps for free? Can you download all kinds of music for free?

No rooting does not allow you to avoid paying for items that require payment. That is not what rooting a phone is about. It is about eliminating restrictions the phone company has put on using your phone's android system.

blk_admire

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site

I just got the metro pcs samsung admire today and rooted it. Im having difficulty removing the bloatware. Ive downloaded super user, file expert, and supertool box. Ive navigated /system/apps and held the app for metro 411, pressed delete and the app never deleted. What am I doing wrong? PLS HELP!!!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Not sure about that particular file management app but most have an option to allow write access to /system/ or root level access directories. Make sure that is enabled and not just read only...

I recommend ES File Explorer (free) as an excellent file manager utility. Check under settings to enable root access along with write access.

blk_admire

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about that particular file management app but most have an option to allow write access to /system/ or root level access directories. Make sure that is enabled and not just read only...

I recommend ES File Explorer (free) as an excellent file manager utility. Check under settings to enable root access along with write access.

Paul you are the F'n man! It worked!! Thx for your help.

Maxlowe389

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

I have an LG Optimus GT540 in the UK and I can't seem to get it rooted...

I have tried all the obvious things like Z4 Root but none seem to be working. It is running android 2.1.1.

Thanks in advance :)

notsosuperdave

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

2.3.6 links have bad right click reg edit links in paki- uber gay- cant un update, need root!!! what do i do? tried almost everything...

lg revolution, verizon, 2.3.6

emmanuelsharris

May 24, 2012
Visit site

Hey,

I have and HTC Desire HD and I want the software optimised, but I don't know where to get it done. I had a local guy root my phone to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3), but after he did it my phone stopped playing online videos and started to glitch a lot.

Now I want to find someone reliable to restore my phone's functionality and to install a stock version of android (preferably Android 4.0). Instead of chancing it on a local service (I live in Colorado Springs) I would like to get informed recommendations on a reliable person or service I could turn to.

I would root the phone myself, but I have limited technical skills and I'm more comfortable letting an expert perform the software modification.

Thanks for everybody's help. I look forward to hearing your recommendations.

-Stephen

Homerdrone

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

I rooted my LG Nitro HD yesterday with DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su and used Titanium backup.I backed up everything with that ap and uninstalled things I didn't want or think I needed.I may have been too hasty as now my wifi doesn't work at all.
In wifi settings it says "ERROR".
I tried undoing whatever I did by restoring lots of stuff.I finally did a factory reset.No change in wifi error.
Took phone in to Geek Squad and dude did hard factory reset because my phone hung at startup.He got my phone to start.
I'm now back to a working phone with no wifi.
Any idea what ap is needed for wifi to work correctly?
Sorry,I'm an Android noob and just wanted to un-install the bloatware that was running my battery down.Now this.
Please help.

dustlane

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I just came across a brand new LG Nitro that was rooted. However, apparently when the guy rooted it, he didn't back up the phone first. I want to give it to my son but I want to get it back to factory specs with everything like it was when it came out of the box. I use an iPhone myself so I am in the dark when it comes to android. Can this Nitro be restored or will it be rooted forever? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pdelponte

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I have been reading over the forums and have a question about rooting my AT&T Samy GS3.

I want to root my device so that i can

Run "vanila" Jelly Bean
Get rid of bloat ware
be able to tether and wifi hot spot (with out paying AT&T extra money)
"Turn On" Google Wallet

I was just wondering if I will be able to do these things if i root my phone

and what the basic process will be to achieve these goals.

Thanks so much in advance.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

I need help with re-rooting. I rooted my Sprint Galaxy S3 using ClockworkMod Recovery last week and everything was great. I wanted to manually install the LG8 upgrade and so I I used Odin to install stock recovery to update from LG2 to LG8 and the upgrade is great. But now I am no longer rooted. Can someone give me instructions to re-root again using the LG8 update with CWM? (I tried using QBking77 youtube video but got error message when updating CWM) The simpler, the better :) Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Never mind :). Used QBking77 video again and it worked like a charm.

sandroidnz

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi.I am new to Android Central.I was wondering if someone here could help me.Iam very seriously thinking of rooting my xperia arc LT15i which is now running on ics 4.0.4 build number 4.1.B.0.431.There are a few other members on different sites who have given writeups but none actually does a point to point detail about how to do it.Somehow they forget to inform the finer things.What Iam getting at is that not everyone is well versed technically.Of the millions of people on android around the world only a few thousand are exceptionally good and they represent all the sites on the web.The rest are,how shall I put it,dummies.And yet we try to accomplish doing stuff on our own with guidance from learned people.
That said,is there anyone here who can guide this dummy from point A to point Z and be successful in achieving my goal to root my device?

Sent from my LT15i using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38