Donations in apps?

knahrvorn

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
There are stories of developers having their app and/or account blocked by Google for not following the terms in regard to accepting payments other than through Google Play / Wallet. I am not sure which stories to believe and how much truth to put into them, and I can't seem to find a pattern of what is allowed and what is not. Also, I can't seem to find anything official from Google on this particular question I have.

Enter you, Android experts. :)

I am developing an open source Android app. In the perfect world (read: "In the perfect Google Play") users should be able to choose how much they want to pay for my app, if anything at all. If they want it for free, it's fine with me, I am more than thankful to be able to contribute to the open source community on the Android platform. If they want to support me as a developer, I'd kindly accept whatever people think they can spare.

This not being an option, there is the option of donations. Google doesn't support this directly, either, but technically it should be doable. I'm thinking something along the lines of in-app payment for this. I can't find info anywhere on whether Google allows the use of in-app payments for donation purposes, though?

Also, and this is probably a no-go, but perhaps the fact that we're talking donations rather than payment for an app or payment for in-app elements/extra features/etc. makes a difference: Donations via other methods than Wallet. For instance mentioning a Bitcoin address in the app for donations. Or perhaps, mentioning in the app that Bitcoin donations can be done via the app's website? Probably not allowed, though. (?)

When we're talking variable-amount donations, what is the preferred way? Perhaps something else altogether?

Any suggestions/hints/advice?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
There are stories of developers having their app and/or account blocked by Google for not following the terms in regard to accepting payments other than through Google Play / Wallet. I am not sure which stories to believe and how much truth to put into them, and I can't seem to find a pattern of what is allowed and what is not. Also, I can't seem to find anything official from Google on this particular question I have.

Enter you, Android experts. :)

I am developing an open source Android app. In the perfect world (read: "In the perfect Google Play") users should be able to choose how much they want to pay for my app, if anything at all. If they want it for free, it's fine with me, I am more than thankful to be able to contribute to the open source community on the Android platform. If they want to support me as a developer, I'd kindly accept whatever people think they can spare.

This not being an option, there is the option of donations. Google doesn't support this directly, either, but technically it should be doable. I'm thinking something along the lines of in-app payment for this. I can't find info anywhere on whether Google allows the use of in-app payments for donation purposes, though?

Also, and this is probably a no-go, but perhaps the fact that we're talking donations rather than payment for an app or payment for in-app elements/extra features/etc. makes a difference: Donations via other methods than Wallet. For instance mentioning a Bitcoin address in the app for donations. Or perhaps, mentioning in the app that Bitcoin donations can be done via the app's website? Probably not allowed, though. (?)

When we're talking variable-amount donations, what is the preferred way? Perhaps something else altogether?

Any suggestions/hints/advice?

yes, its absolutely fine to use in-app purchase for donation. the problem that some developers faced was because they didnt implement in-app purchase from google rather used some third party service.

Google's policy is all transaction must go via play billing

knahrvorn

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

If I choose to use in-app billing for donations, do you think Google will not like it if I mention below that e g. Bitcoin donations can be done through the app's webpage? Is there a way I can ask Google about this?

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa