ATT LTE APN settings?

BJGuillot

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Ordered the Sony Xperia Ultra Z LTE from the US Sony Store website on Tuesday and received it today. Went to the ATT store to transfer my old Samsung Galaxy Note account over to the Ultra Z, but I cannot seem to get LTE working. I'm in an area where my old Galaxy Note was getting LTE. The display at the top of the screen on the Ultra Z alternates between "H" and "H+". But I'm never seeing it say LTE.

The APN settings being used are the old wap.cingular/wireless.cingular.com ones, which other postings said not to use. But when I try using the mobile.att.net APN settings, I can't get data to work at all.

Help please. Just spent nearly $700 on this phone, and going to be very disappointed if I can't even get data speeds faster than my 2-year old Note.

BJGuillot

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be striking out getting LTE on AT&T with this phone. Tried chatting with Sony today, and the agent claimed the Ultra Z LTE isn't compatible with AT&T's LTE bands--and that he didn't know if it was compatible with T-Mobile's LTE bands or not!

Chat session is below. Needless to say, this was a very painful conversation. Going to need to decide soon whether I need to send the phone back. If the LTE phone can't be used with LTE in the USA, why is Sony even selling it on their US store?

Customer ChatChat Transcript
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have now been connected to an agent.
Agent Jason: Hi B.J. Guillot, thanks for choosing Sony Xperia™ Chat Support. My name is Jason your Xperia™ Support Representative. Would you please provide me with your full name and email address?
B.J. Guillot: [redacted email address]
B.J. Guillot: you still there?
Agent Jason: Thank you. What is the model of your device and your service provider?
B.J. Guillot: Sony Xperia Z Ultra LTE (unlocked, ordered from the Sony Store website earlier this week), and using it on AT&T
Agent Jason: Thank you B.J.
Agent Jason: According to your question you are having problems receiving LTE network connectivity from AT&T.
B.J. Guillot: Yes, only seem to be getting "H" and "H+" speeds. Before moving to the Sony phone, I had an older Samsung Galaxy Note on ATT that was able to get LTE.
B.J. Guillot: Trying to find out if Sony has any recommendations on what the Mobile APN settings should be for this new phone for AT&T
Agent Jason: Can you please provide me the model number of the device? You will be able to find it by going to: settings>about phone.
Agent Jason: I apologize for the delay in response, I'm having technical issues with my PC.
B.J. Guillot: Model number is C6806
Agent Jason: Thank you, please bear with me while I confirm if this device is LTE compatible.
Agent Jason: According to what I see here, the device is 4G compatible.
Agent Jason: Can you please go to: settings>more>mobile networks>network mode.
B.J. Guillot: There, it's currently set to: LTE (preferred)/WCDMA/GSM
Agent Jason: In that case, the device you purchased was not intended t be use with the bands (network) of AT&T and the LTE bands are not compatible.
Agent Jason: I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
B.J. Guillot: Is it compatible with T-Mobile?
Agent Jason: It might, T-Mobile and AT&T use different LTE bands.
B.J. Guillot: Can I get a yes/no answer than "might"? I spent over $800 on this phone (after the 2-year warranty plan) because it was LTE. If I can't use LTE in the US with this phone, why is Sony selling it on their US Website marketing it as an LTE phone?
Agent Jason: The thing is that as the device was purchase online, there's no way for me to know to which bands is that phone (your device) compatible with LTE networks. Also we don't know which bands do T-Mobile or AT&T or any carrier use for LTE connectivity.
Agent Jason: I apologize for any troubles this could cause you.
B.J. Guillot: Do you work for Sony?
Agent Jason: I work with Sony Xperia™ online technical support.
B.J. Guillot: OK, I just don't understand how Sony is unable to know what carriers their phone is able to work with. Mind boggled. Oh well, I'll calling another technician later,
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

mrgee10

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't have this device but I'll try to help.

The wap.cingular one is definitely not a good one to use. In the APN you should have phone or maybe pta. What happens if you try to reset your APN to default?

If this fails you may have the "unlocked phone that AT&T doesn't have in their system because they don't sell it themselves" issue.

[Q] c6806 no lte on AT&T - xda-developers

BJGuillot

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
If I set it to default, I get no data at all. thanks for passing along that link. sounds like what I should have done was just take the SIM from my old Galaxy Note and stick it in the Sony. Didn't even think of trying that. Didn't think it would work. Maybe I need to go back to the ATT store to get them to reactivate my Note and then swap the SIM. May wait a few days and try that if no one else has any bright ideas.

Posted via Android Central App

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I think your spot on, with association of an official At&t account. I remember reading a few threads mentioning using an active official LTE phone account with At&t, then applying it to the Z Ultra to successfully connect. Since ZU isn't official

BJGuillot

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Haven't had a chance to re-activate my old phone yet to try to SIM swap. Been doing a lot of traveling recently. Hopefully I can try the trick in the next few days to see if it'll work.

sevans

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that my Z Ultra works fine with LTE on AT&T. You will need an AT&T sim that's been activated for LTE but I didn't change APN from default.

terreos

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Haven't had a chance to re-activate my old phone yet to try to SIM swap. Been doing a lot of traveling recently. Hopefully I can try the trick in the next few days to see if it'll work.
Keep us posted please. Definitely like to know.
I can confirm that my Z Ultra works fine with LTE on AT&T. You will need an AT&T sim that's been activated for LTE but I didn't change APN from default.
Is this the one you can buy from the US Sony store?
Xperia Z Ultra LTE - Unlocked Phones Sony Store - Sony US

Phaze0085

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

Hi. Can you share your apn info? and also, which model do you have? I got the C6833, cause I was told that, that model would get me LTE, but since having it I only got H+. DId I get the wrong model?

sevans

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi. Can you share your apn info? and also, which model do you have? I got the C6833, cause I was told that, that model would get me LTE, but since having it I only got H+. DId I get the wrong model?

The C6833 will get LTE on T-mobile but not AT&T. AT&T has a very few markets where it works but the vast majority will need the C6806.

wisemd

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Can you please share your ATT LTE APN settings please. I purchased c6806 and I am having problem with getting on to LTE. Thanks, Kris.

sevans

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the default APN settings. I didn't change anything. If you're not getting LTE then check with AT&T and see if your sim is provisioned for LTE. It needs to have been activated with an AT&T LTE phone previously to work. Changing the APN won't help that. If yours isn't working you may want to try the sim in a known good AT&T LTE phone. I originally moved to LTE with a Galaxy Note and had to exchange my sim at an AT&T store to make it work.

BJGuillot

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Originally poster. Finally got around to calling ATT again. Told them I was switching back to my old phone (an Original Galaxy Note) and gave them the IMEI number of my Note. After the call, I reset the APN settings on my Ultra back to the defaults, and presto, LTE. I had previously spent an hour at ATT stores and on the phone with them trying to get LTE with no luck--they could not explain why it wouldn't work. Finally used the advice of others to just tell them its in a different phone, and that worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez