How can I get my Sony Z2 out of an infinite boot loop?

A

AC Question

totally stock, not rooted or anything Sony Z2 infinite boot loop

Everything I found through Google either doesn't apply or doesn't work.

My Sony Z2 is 6 months old. It has never been flashed, rooted or anything else.

I've used it exactly as it comes from Sony, aside from various apps installed. I do have Lookout on it to protect against viruses / malware

Recently, after using it as a wifi hotspot for a while, I tried to check currency exchange rates and it became very slow and unresponsive, so I long pressed the power button and chose 'restart'.

Ever since, its in an infinite boot loop.

After a while, I figured out that long pressing the power button and volume up together at least gets it to power down.

Using Sony's PC Companion as suggested in some places doesn't help, as the software doesn't recognize the phone, since it never finishes to boot. It gets to that animated blue background Sony runs during boot up. Then it cuts out and starts over from scratch.

On Samsung phones, there's a simple key combination to hold down to boot into recovery. Is there nothing like that on Sony phones?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: totally stock, not rooted or anything Sony Z2 infinite boot loop

Everything I found through Google either doesn't apply or doesn't work.

My Sony Z2 is 6 months old. It has never been flashed, rooted or anything else.

I've used it exactly as it comes from Sony, aside from various apps installed. I do have Lookout on it to protect against viruses / malware

Recently, after using it as a wifi hotspot for a while, I tried to check currency exchange rates and it became very slow and unresponsive, so I long pressed the power button and chose 'restart'.

Ever since, its in an infinite boot loop.

After a while, I figured out that long pressing the power button and volume up together at least gets it to power down.

Using Sony's PC Companion as suggested in some places doesn't help, as the software doesn't recognize the phone, since it never finishes to boot. It gets to that animated blue background Sony runs during boot up. Then it cuts out and starts over from scratch.

On Samsung phones, there's a simple key combination to hold down to boot into recovery. Is there nothing like that on Sony phones?

Give this a try.

How to Enter Recovery Mode for Xperia Z2 manually

Power off your smartphone now.
Power on the Xperia Z2 and when the LED Notification lights up you need to press several times Volume Up or Volume Down, either one works.
The device will then show the Recovery Mode screen.
Use the Volume buttons to navigate between Recovery Mode options. Power needs to be pressed in order to select to apply any Recovery options.

gregdehoedt

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem, but I cannot for the life of me get it in recovery mode by pressing the up and down keys. There is no LED light that comes on when you power the phone up so this adds more confusion to the matter fro me. PC companion just will not recognise the phone. Calling Sony is useless and each person you speak to has some completely different piece of useless advice to give you, claiming that the last person you speak to doesn't know what they are talking about.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87