Don't use Sony smartphones underwater

Haider Shafaq

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
If you head on over to Sony's website today, the company will warn you not to use itsXperia smartphones*while underwater. That might come as a surprise, especially as Sony has repeatedly touted the waterproof capabilities of its devices in the past. But really, you shouldn't be doing it.*XperiaBlog*points out*that the handset maker is now taking additional measures to discourage the practice, and has updated its website to help customers avoid making a costly mistake while at the pool.

In describing what its phones are capable of, Sony says: "Remember not to use the device underwater." To receive an IP68 rating, a phone must be able to withstand liquid under pressure for "long periods." It has to remain leak-proof down to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes. Sony's phones can do this -- they've passed the test.

Sony explains: "The IP rating of your device was achieved in laboratory conditions in standby mode, so you should not use the device underwater, such as taking pictures. It also says: "Do not use the device to take photos while performing any type of activity underwater, including diving or snorkeling."

It's important to note that Sony issued these warnings*for the Xperia Z3+, but they now also cover the company's latest flagship:*the Xperia Z5. Because Sony isn't required to operate an Xperia handset while it's being subjected to water and dust tests, the phone maker is reinforcing the fact that its devices were never intended to be subjected to a shallow dive.

What should you do if you own a top-end Xperia? Well, you're clear to use it in "wet surroundings." You can probably use it briefly while underwater, but that's completely on you. Sony is just trying to set expectations and stop you from invalidating your warranty, even if it kind of flies in the face of previous marketing campaigns.

Opinion of a Geek

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It's the same rating they had for the Z3, the only difference is that they removed the micro USB and MIC flaps cover. It seems that with the Z3+ (Z4) there were numerous complaints about phones damaged, something similar is happening with the S6 Active where people can use it underwater but basically after that they will suffer for sure from Screen pop up messages about Docking station and no sound through the Mic until everything dries out and in some cases it never gets fixed.

So what did I do when I got my S6 Active? I bought a set of 20 Micro USB and MIC ports cover on eBay for about $2.50, that I simply put where I knew I might be under water. For the normal daily usage they were not necessary, it can get some rain and even get into a shower or bath tubs, but you'll need something like this for under water situations.

Haider Shafaq

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
This is a good idea but it still has a little risk. The warning is to indicate that no responsibility will be taken if any damage occurs with these flagships.

Opinion of a Geek

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This is a good idea but it still has a little risk. The warning is to indicate that no responsibility will be taken if any damage occurs with these flagships.

Opinion of a Geek

They do that for protection against lawsuits, putting that note there will save them tons of money in claims from people that can and will damage theit phones underwater.

Like I said, there is no much they can do about it other than going back to the ports flaps covers, under water pressure has shown to be too much for this devices even when they pass all the IP68 certification requirements, indeed those tests are done in a controlled environment most likely a machine just holds the device under water in a fixed place, and that will present no issue for these phones, but the real life usage is very different, hence the damages to the phones. When thy had the flaps, the damages were caused by people forgetting to close the flaps properly, so a port not covered correctly will allow the pressure to affects all the phone internal seals, removing the flaps completely just for convenience was never a good idea, again, take a look at the S6 active forum and you will see the same happening to most of the phones that have been submerged.

The Ports covers basically just put back that extra safety that was removed from the OEM, the phone is IP68 certified so no regular water intake will damage it, but the under water pressure can do it, so with the flaps, no more water pressure entering directly to the phone's internal, so immediately back to an excellent Water proof device.

Well, I'm not an expert nor a Sony engineer so I'm not trying to know more than them, but I'm simply using my knowledge and logic and even when I'm not planning on using this or any other phone under water, I know that if I buy one and know that I will be near any body of water, I'll be using this flaps without any doubts.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Let's be clear about one thing. IP68 is not 'waterproof'. It means the device is protected against being submerged for a period of time if it were to happen. IP stands for Ingress Protection the 6 and 8 represent the protection level the device has.

They should never and I mean this about all marketing by any device manufacturer, have indicated it was OK to go swimming or diving with these phones.

All you have to do is watch a program where you see camera diving equipment to know that these phones are not at all properly equipped to handle water well.

We should also remember that the water they protect against is fresh water. Not salt and not chlorinated.

I still think it's great they can handle being wet but I would never go out of my way to put my phone in a position to be dunked in water.

Last edited:

mikewp

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Well...I'll be the first to admit stupidity. We took my girlfriend's Z3Compact on a couple snorkeling trips in saltwater (just surface swimming since lifejackets were mandatory) and got some great pics. But.. the headphone jack stopped working sometime afterwards (have also done a complete hardware reset). We won't be doing that or taking my Z5C snorkeling again :)

darigaaz12

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well...I'll be the first to admit stupidity. We took my girlfriend's Z3Compact on a couple snorkeling trips in saltwater (just surface swimming since lifejackets were mandatory) and got some great pics. But.. the headphone jack stopped working sometime afterwards (have also done a complete hardware reset). We won't be doing that or taking my Z5C snorkeling again :)

Salt is key here...fresh water you probably would have been fine. I took my z2 to pool parties multiple times. I thought I read something where sony said to keep it away from salt

Posted via the Android Central App

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Salt is key here...fresh water you probably would have been fine. I took my z2 to pool parties multiple times. I thought I read something where sony said to keep it away from salt

Posted via the Android Central App

Salt water is one of the most corrosive things on the planet. Never put your electronics anywhere near it. If you've ever lived near the ocean all you have to do is look at people's property and you start to realise how damaging it can be. Salt spray, salt water, all nasty stuff.

mikewp

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Salt water is one of the most corrosive things on the planet. Never put your electronics anywhere near it. If you've ever lived near the ocean all you have to do is look at people's property and you start to realise how damaging it can be. Salt spray, salt water, all nasty stuff.

Ya, for sure, and i was an ***** for at least not rinsing it off with fresh water. I downloaded the SoundAbout app and we can force the phone to use headphones, it just won't sense when the jack is inserted. I've read that folk have had issues with the port not sensing the jack being inserted, so it's possible that taking it in the water didn't cause the issue, but with the timing as it was, I'm sure that was the cause of the problem.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Ya, for sure, and i was an ***** for at least not rinsing it off with fresh water. I downloaded the SoundAbout app and we can force the phone to use headphones, it just won't sense when the jack is inserted. I've read that folk have had issues with the port not sensing the jack being inserted, so it's possible that taking it in the water didn't cause the issue, but with the timing as it was, I'm sure that was the cause of the problem.

Keep in mind that salt may not effect things right away either. It can be a gradual corrosion of the internals of the electronics.

Salt can stick around and eventually corrode through most things.

I lived by the ocean for a bit and I worked on a desalination plant. I've seen 316 stainless steel corrode from salt spray. I've seen how easily it attacks unprotected steel and other items. In a very short time frame at that.

I recently read an article on TechRadar about the upcoming Z6 and they mentioned it would be great if the Z6 was fully waterproof including against salt water. I kept thinking to myself, they haven't a clue do they? What do they want the thing made of and how big and bulky?

It's a nice fantasy but I don't see it happening any time soon.