SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you on KitKat? The new version of Android 'breaks' SD card support. Unless you're using the system File Manager, you can't move things around or copy or create stuff in the SD card. 3rd party apps (non-system) are now able to write to the SD card ONLY on folders they created.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If there's no system File Manager (SHAME ON YOU, GOOGLE!!!) the only way to move things around is by using a PC to do so. :( Or if you root, there's a little hack you can apply to regain full SD card access.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You can use Total Commander or Nexus Media Importer or ES File Explorer, too, without connecting to a PC.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not if he's on KitKat... File explorers from 3rd party developers have lost full SD card access, so he won't be able to move things around unless it's within a folder the app itself created, and from what I understand, that's not exactly what he wants.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Not if he's on KitKat... File explorers from 3rd party developers have lost full SD card access, so he won't be able to move things around unless it's within a folder the app itself created, and from what I understand, that's not exactly what he wants.

I can do it on my Nexus 5...

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you're using the stock File Manager then THAT does have full SD Card access. 3rd party apps, however, lost this ability. BUT, Android being what it is and devs being who they are, SOME apps have actually found a loophole in the system and have, through some not-so-perfect trickery (it won't work all the time), regained full SD Card access on non-rooted phones. But this vulnerability is expected to be patched at some point.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you're rooted, there's a line you have to change in a config file. I'm not rooted, so off the top of my head I can't remember how exactly, but I'm sure a Google Search could yield good results. There are apps in the Play Store that also do this for you if you're already rooted. But with this new policy being enforced by Google, I'm sure that apps will start updating and eventually just lose SD Card support... you know, because hacked/rooted is not the common state of an Android device.