News Samsung made a MicroSD card that doesn't suck, but there's a problem

shag_on_e

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Removing SD card slots from phones was not because of the performance difference and we all know it. The point isn't performance, the point is convenience. Today's cards are fast enough to support camera storage, that's good enough. Fast internal storage can be used for system speed, but the slot will always make sense. Don't start thinking the conglomerates holding us hostage are doing things for our pleasure!

Brad Arbeiter

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
This entire article just sounds like a sales pitch for phone manufacturers to continue sticking it to the consumer. A SSD is only 5 times faster than a micro sd and you are saying that is not fast enough for expandible memory? Video's, Music or photos will not come close to using that speed and having a micro sd card makes it far easier for the average consumer to transfer data to another phone or PC. I have also never had an sd card fail. These aren't needed to run an operating system which would heavily increase reads and writes but for expandible storage. This entire article is a complete failure.

The only reason micro sd cards were removed were so that manufacturers could charge more for internal storage as micro sd cards were becoming too large and cheap to justify a large internal SSD.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not a problem with speed, it's a problem with reliability. SD cards don't last very long.
They can last a long time as long as they are used as a write once/read many type of storage. For stand alone files, they are fine. It's when people try using them for app storage that they become unreliable, due to the excessive amount of data writing involved.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
"All phone manufacturers moved away from the standard on their flagships, and for good reason..."

What was that "good reason" again?

All I'd heard was all bull.
He didn't say who the good reason benefitted. Increasing profit margin on phone storage upgrades is a good reason for the manufacturers.

And poor baby had a card fail. Guess the tech blogger couldn't be bothered to back up his card. Just because something is backed up to the cloud or somewhere else, doesn't mean that's how we want to restore things when we have to. It's called "backup" for a reason.

Gotta remember blogger does not equal journalist. They have no clue how to be journalists. Sensationalism, hot takes, and clear bias drive their articles solely to invoke clicks and spark "spirited" comments. Logic and facts are a distant memory now.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
They can last a long time as long as they are used as a write once/read many type of storage. For stand alone files, they are fine. It's when people try using them for app storage that they become unreliable, due to the excessive amount of data writing involved.
That's why Samsung screwed the pooch going from 256gb on board to 128gb on board on the Note when it still had card storage. Let's build in obsolescence by giving the customers a half assed effort and then claim the customers didn't want it ignoring the fact they gimped the device from the start.

maggerbee

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
It's not speed or reliability in my opinion (which I've only ever had 1 or 2 cards go bad in my whole life and I'm 41). The main thing is definitely storage confusion. That's 100% why Apple never had expandable storage, it confuses the consumer on where there data is. Between that and upselling devices with more internal storage options is where we got to today. It's quite sad... because I like having the option of having more storage for photos and 4K video, as a YouTuber this is very much an issue for me. Let alone the fact that having expannable storage makes backing up your internal storage so much easier. If my phone were to die today, ALL of my data not backed up in the cloud or USB device would be trapped inside the phone. And to me... that is HIGHLY unacceptable.

mykey2k

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, it's not the speed... I have a Canon Vixia with 2TB of microsd and it records 4K video just fine for hours at a time; same with a GoPro. The phone manufacturers are playing a money grab game. They can charge multiple hundreds to go from 256GB to 1TB while a sdcard is less expensive.

It's funny how Samsung makes the phones, says they SD cards are not reliable enough but yet also makes the SD cards. I have a S10+ that is now 5 years old as of today with the same SD card I put in when it was brand new. And guess what, phones break too. What happens when that 1TB of onboard storage is inaccessible or gets corrupted.... you're up the same creek, or even worse since it's not on a removable card that might just be able to be recovered.

Thankfully I don't chase the newest tech.

Reactions: Jordan Broly

zdanee

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
Nah, the performance difference was "fixed" when installing apps to the microSD was disabled almost a decade ago. It was still a viable option to store media, photos, documents, backups. No, the microSD had to go from the expensive devices so they can be sold for more. If you had a 256 GB model for €900 and a 512GB model for €1100 then you just sold a 256GB NAND for €200. If there were alternatives people would buy the 256GB version and pop in a €20 card. That is also why entry level phones still have it: if you buy a phone for €300 you won't pay for that extra built-in storage but they can still sell you that €20 card, that is still money.

Jordan Broly

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
He didn't say who the good reason benefitted. Increasing profit margin on phone storage upgrades is a good reason for the manufacturers.

And poor baby had a card fail. Guess the tech blogger couldn't be bothered to back up his card. Just because something is backed up to the cloud or somewhere else, doesn't mean that's how we want to restore things when we have to. It's called "backup" for a reason.

Gotta remember blogger does not equal journalist. They have no clue how to be journalists. Sensationalism, hot takes, and clear bias drive their articles solely to invoke clicks and spark "spirited" comments. Logic and facts are a distant memory now.
Better yet, tech-blogger doesn't equate to techie. At all.

It serious reads like one of those distant, outsider perspectives who hardly grasp the basics, yet runs with their ill perspective on a topic they have no authority to speak on honestly.

By the time these manufacturers started taking the microSD slot away, speed was definitely NOT the issue, "reliability" was only an issue for basic folk who refuse to go for the real cards and cheap out on non-brands (all these other devices that use MicroSD just fine [recorders, cameras, game consoles!], yet a few people cry about their off-brand card corrupting in their cheap afterthought phone, or stinker off the production-line [that's been a thing forever for everything] and MicroSD automatically = baaaad :rolleyes: )

At "best," its them adopting Google's BS of 'security' at the time. At worse, they all saw the cloud storage was picking up steam, and all the normal folk would go for that "convenience" over all. Lets use their own poor consumer practices and such as a reason to make ourselves more money than ever.

An by Odin's beard, good thing Sony and other phone makers clearly don't exist...

They serious just let anyone write articles these days.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d