[EI22][GINGERBREAD][EPIC 4G] Official Gingerbread Thread

Was the wait worth it now that you running official Gingerbread??

• Total voters

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I had to wipe mine from rooted FroYo to stock FroYo in order to be able to update to GB. Today my battery has been going down quite fast, even when I'm not using the phone.

keithecampbell

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Did a manual upgrade to Gingerbread on Saturday. So far:
1. Touch screen activity is much smoother/faster :)D)
2. Battery seems to last longer
3. Updated interface is nice
4. 1 Freeze/lockup requiring battery pull - charging on usb from auto outlet - don't know why.
Worth waiting for? maybe. Worth having? definitely.

rudedog1013

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

After much debating and reading this thread, I decided I couldn't wait any longer. Followed the directions on the OP and watched the video and am happy to report it worked like a charm.

Thanks to all.

Now running GB and very happy.:)

basspr

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't wait any longer. Followed the directions and am happy to report that I'm running GB.
overall I find my phone Faster...no issues with battery here so far...

Thanx!

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It's hard for me to tell if my battery life is noticeably better/worse than before. Right now, it seems about the same to me. Yesterday at work it had dropped to like 65-70% around lunch time, and about the same again today. Yesterday I recharged it, but today I didn't. I came home today with around 30% battery power after like 9 hours. Maybe an hour or so later, it had dropped down to 15% and beeped at me to get charged, so I plugged it in. I think I used it about the same as usual, so I guess I'm not seeing strong improvements in battery life. If ~30% in 9 hours is typical now, it will get me through a work day without recharging, but not much more than that. With my usual routine that's not too big of a deal, but it would be kind of bad if I ever forgot my charger/cable on a trip or something. Maybe I'll have to look into rooting and installing a custom ROM that will help me save battery life if I really want to stretch it out.

OTOH, other things have gotten a bit better. I used to be rebooting the phone every few days on Froyo it seemed for some random reason or another. So far, Gingerbread's been pretty good, and I've had the phone up for over 3 days now without seeing any strong need to reboot it. When I have reboot it, it recognizes all of my apps without difficulty -- in Froyo, I'd have a heck of a time getting it to recognize all the apps on the SD card (ones on the phone were usually fine though). Also, it looks like I can update apps I moved to the SD card directly without trouble now. With Froyo, the phone or Market at least would sometimes lock up on the download and/or install if I tried to do that, so I got into the habit of moving all apps to the phone before updating, then moving back to the SD card after the update was done. I don't think I'll have to do that anymore, which is good.

I guess I'm generally happy with the Gingerbread update so far. It should at least hold me over until I'm eligible for a phone upgrade later next year. (Root/ROM might help, too, and I'm looking into that more.)

Wanderlust

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what happened but I received the reboot issue (between Sprint/Galaxy S), did the factory reset and apparently it had updated to Gingerbread on the reset. So I wanted to post in the event anyone else likes to needlessly troubleshoot rather than looking at About Phone first (like me). lol

I used GoLauncher and several other things so I hadn't seen touchwiz in a long time and thought it had just defaulted back to the original install.

Last edited:

wolfeman11781

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a question, and its probably a fairly easy one ... After i updated to GB, can i remove the update.zip file with out messing anything up? I am pretty sure i can, but its been awhile since I've done this.

Thank you in advance for your help

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a question, and its probably a fairly easy one ... After i updated to GB, can i remove the update.zip file with out messing anything up? I am pretty sure i can, but its been awhile since I've done this.

Thank you in advance for your help
Yep... You can remove it from your sdcard...

bladeap

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I manually updated a few minutes ago to GB (got tired of waiting). I'm loving it so far, but I really want to root my phone finally and I'm just wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to which ROM/kernel to use. I've done random research on this lately, but I'm just wondering as to what might be the best one to use at the moment (in terms of stability and awesomeness)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I manually updated a few minutes ago to GB (got tired of waiting). I'm loving it so far, but I really want to root my phone finally and I'm just wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to which ROM/kernel to use. I've done random research on this lately, but I'm just wondering as to what might be the best one to use at the moment (in terms of stability and awesomeness)

To keep the rooting and custom ROM talk here in the general section short, everything is still in a "beta" or early development mode so most that are available are stable but do have a few quirks here and there.. Another week or so and things should be much better..

bladeap

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That's what one of my buddies told me as well, but have random lags right now and its slowly getting on my nerves. Well one more week wont hurt...

Thanks a lot for your help Paul!

FelisPuma

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
My phone was totally stock and I didn't have anything backed up before installing update. That was really stupid. Anyway, now I'm stuck in the boot loop. Does anyone know of any way to get the contents of my notes from the builtin note application before I do the factory reset? Thanks so much!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My phone was totally stock and I didn't have anything backed up before installing update. That was really stupid. Anyway, now I'm stuck in the boot loop. Does anyone know of any way to get the contents of my notes from the builtin note application before I do the factory reset? Thanks so much!

If it saved data on your sdcard you may be in luck but that is your only hope if your stuck in the boot loop.

sdcard content doesn't get erased.

Reactions: FelisPuma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress